Which Aircon unit

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by janandles, Feb 15, 2012.

1. janandles

janandles Read Only Funster

We need to get air con for the bedroom area of our motorhome so a small one will do. We could do with a little help choosing.

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

do you mean a small 'stand-alone' unit or a proper roof mounted jobby ?

3. janandles

Thanks for replying. We want a fixed one in the roof window, we've checked a few out on the net an so far the Dometic B1600Plus is the favourite. Like everything to do with motorhomes though it's expensive.

4. jezport

jezport Funster

If you have a double floor or spare garage space, the truma frostair is very quiet and will keep the weight off the roof and low down.

5. pappajohn

firstly, do you really need aircon ?
    you may be buying something you rarely use.

if you plan on trips to Spain/south of France etc then yes...you probably do.
    if you plan on UK trips only then you probably wont.

we have twin units, one over the lounge and one over the bed....usual American motorhome standard equipment.

I have NEVER used either unit (annoying background noise), except to keep things running and the gas circulating every couple of months or so.

if it should get a bit warm I simply plug in a 12" oscillating desk fan and open all windows....soon cools down.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I hope you realise they are only viable on hook up. Or generator. No chance on batteries.

7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Its a toss up as to whether you want to be kept awake by the heat or by the noise. The roof ones are the noisiest but the all use a lot of power so hookup essential. Your name would be mud if you ran your gennie all night as well as the aircon :Laughing:

I suggest saving your money, perhaps get a roof fan like the Fiamma one, expensive for what it is, but a lot cheaper than aircon and very quiet.

8. tonywolst

tonywolst Read Only Funster

Ive got the same model b1600, I wouldn't go anywhere hot without it, it is noisy, but doesn't keep me awake unlike the heat would.

9. janandles

Thanks for that but need it to go in the roof as there is no floor space.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  10. janandles

Wow I'm suprised about the noise as they advertise it as quiet running, I'm a light sleeper but the heat would be worse, think I'll have to invest in some earplugs. Thanks. Jan

11. janandles

Yes we could be in trouble if we wild camp but hopefully we'll have a site with electric. Thanks. Jan

12. janandles

I didn't even know they did the roof fans, I've just googled them they certainly look easy enough to set up do you kow if they are as good as they sound. Thanks. Jan

13. pappajohn

i have a roof fan in the kitchen area.

3 speed and thermostatically controlled as well....simply set the temperature when the fan should start and it will run until the room temp drops below that set.

not as noisy as the aircon and will run on 12v.

same as this one.

FAN-TASTIC

14. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

We considered a roof fitted aircon a couple of yrs ago-but when we realised that we would lose our big skylight,and it could only be used on EHU (we only use campsites when washing bag is full) we decided that actually our priority was to have aircon whilst we were driving and not whilst we were sitting outside enjoying the warm weather :BigGrin:
    So,we had an Eberspacher aircon unit fitted to keep the cab cool-and sleep with all skylights open,both windows in bed area open and just a sheet over us,if anything at all.
    So far it's worked for us,admittedly we havn't been in Southern Spain in midsummer,but it has been pretty hot in Spain and Portugal when we have been there.
    Mike.

15. janandles

Thanks Mike, we're lucky enough to have aircon in the cab and yes we would be sitting outside most of the time when it's hot but it's the sleeping thats going to get to us as we have a bedroom which gets quite hot even when leaving the doors open. We're not bothered about giving up the roof light as there are 2 windows each side of the beds, I think I'm more worried about the noise of the A/C as I'm a light sleeper. Jan

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

We also found the aircon noisy in the bedroom, the way around that is to cool the bedroom for a couple of hours before going to bed.. leave the covers off and the bed get's nice and cool.. works well.. you get off to sleep in comfort and it seldom got too hot overnight..

Fans only work if they are blowing over your skin , they can't lower the ambient temp or reduce the humidity which is the real problem..

17. janandles

Thanks for that it's deffinately worth trying. I suppose if that fails I could always sleep in the fridge :BigGrin: Jan

18. otis the staffy

otis the staffy Read Only Funster

fans

When we purchased our van it already had air con fitted, it got used once for 20 mins we removed it and replaced it with temp controlled reversible 12 volt fan situated in kitchen.We also have one 10 ft away above bed and we find that putting the one above the bed to pull in the air and the one in the kitchen on expell we can create a through draft.Use any time on or off grid and quite effective.:thumb:Stay Safe

19. scerrone

scerrone Read Only Funster