Where to buy a blind spot mirror for LHD RV.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by angiemac, Oct 10, 2013.

1. angiemac

angiemac

Just bought a 40ft Fleetwood Revolution . Des is used to driving a right hand drive articulated on the continent. But not a left hand drive rigid in the UK. We took it out for the first time last week and at sone junctions, Des had to rely on me to see if the road is clear. What type of mirror does he need? And where would we buy it from? Any ideas???

2. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

I've found the best way to get around that problem is to pull in square to the junction. That way I can see both ways and then turn left when clear. My mh is not as long as yours, but LHD and a pain if the junction is one at an angle. I can see through my side window if the junction is slanted enough to the left. I don't have anyone who can tell me when the road is clear so have had to work around the problem. :Smile:

You will get used to it I'm sure! :Smile:

3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi just type in Magimums mirrors into google, (sorry cant put a link) we had one a couple of weeks ago, excellent service, lady on the phone knew her stuff. I would give them a try.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

A mirror won't really help at junctions. Most junctions will require you get yourself in a position to see but sometimes this is just impossible. There have been times when on my own at junctions and can't see, I've had to apply handbrake and get up, go to the passenger window; then when its clear, dash back to the drivers seat. Not ideal, and doesn't happen often, but it is a bit un-nerving.

Luckily I'm rarely on my own and Sian does the looking right and gives me the OK, Though I hate it when she say's "OK if your quick" then I have to pull away blind with screaming tyres, not knowing how quick is quick :Doh::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 5
  5. angiemac

angiemac

Thanks, Philcott!! Des said he could prob do that 95% of the time. It was me that read somewhere that there was a mirror that you could buy, and I thought that it would make it easier for him, whilst he was still getting used to it. Plus I'm having kittens in the suicide seat and I'd rather not look lol.
    We aren't far from Bury st Edmunds. Feltwell near Brandon. Where do you keep your RV when you not using it?? And have you been anywhere good lately?

6. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Years ago there was a device for 'wrong side' steering wheels like a horizontal periscope I think it was called 'Periscope'.

7. LARRY99

LARRY99 Funster Life Member

I find that stopping ( if I have to) 10-12ft before the junction can also help ,depends on the angle of the junction ,what I am thinking of fitting is a mirror looking down at my offside front ( like most trucks have fitted these days) :thumb:

8. angiemac

angiemac

Des just came to a similar conclusion. It doesnt need to be a specific type of mirror, its more about were you have it fitted and at what angle. Thanks for the advice.

9. bailey

bailey

Tell me your route so I can avoid it Bill

10. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

i have stuck around motorcycle mirror on for now it seems to work ok bit of a heath Robinson solution stuck in the lital crevice between the mane mirror and the arm but it's working for me being a bit of a bogger:Eeek:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

She sleeps on my drive! And as it's my only form of transport, she is out and about a lot! :BigGrin:

Will be away for the month of November, starting off in Gloucester area, then up to Preston in Lancashire, back down to Stoneleigh near Coventry for the National Poultry Show, before moving on down to Mersey Island in Essex.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I have a 135 deg mirror that bolts onto the lorry type support bars, lots about on ebay so worth looking there. with it I can see back "Y" junctions let alone "T" junctions. I'll have a look for a part number tomorrow. I might even have an extra spare but would be £28 posted as they were not cheap.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bluemerle

Bluemerle Read Only Funster

I understand that some people use a Fresnal screen and stick it on the side window.

Have had a couple of tricky moments, since getting my lhd in June, but find in most cases that squaring up at the junction or holding back so you can see has worked.:Smile:

14. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

as long as it keeps hime CAMPERING,

15. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

just how many of us have had to do the same thing as you say not very often. But un-nerving

16. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

We use a fresnel lense as well as the other post above in our LHD, works quite well. Available from here road haulage association at a good price.

We do have an extra mirror as well - belts and braces!

Cheers

17. pudseykeith

pudseykeith Read Only Funster

I have a round convex mirror above the main mirror on the right hand side. Its adjusted out at an angle so that I have a clear view of what is coming from the right. Works perfic for me. PK

18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

:Cool:
    Hi Keith, take pic of your setup and post it. cheers. In my minds-eye, I can't see how the setup can see a clear view to the right while at an angle and unable to see the right through the passenger window, if you see what I mean:BigGrin:

19. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

I have round convex mirrors positioned at the outer bottom of both right and left vehicle mirrors, giving a hugely wide angle of vision around the sides of the MH. I also have a Fresnel lens on Rita's passenger window (LHD) which picks up anyone getting close to the front wheel, which isn't picked up in the convex mirror.
    I also have a lens on the rear window, so that when matey behind is so far up my a##e as to not be visible through the window, I can pick him up completely, in the lens. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.