When to book the ferry?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Spidey, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Spidey

Spidey Funster

So planning way in advance for next summers holiday :) when should the ferry for summer school holidays be booked? Is there a window that all the cheap crossings come out? Is it to early to be thinking about ferries? I got a price for one and it was over £500 from portsmouth to le Havre. Not sure what route to take. What is the cheapest crossing? Don't fancy going to Dover as it is 4-5 hour journey for us.

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

:Eeek:

and I thought my £200 chunnel with dog in November was high at £200 return

no idea when to book, but based on your findings not too early (y)

3. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Dieppe to Newhaven is nearly always cheaper than Le Havre> Portsmouth ( I only found them the same price on one trip) I also found Dieppe easier than Le Havre, with the Aire only 200m from the check in. Think it's €7 for 24 hours and a few minutes walk to all the restaurants and shops.
    Most I paid was about £160 for one adult, vehicle and 4 animals ( one way) into UK which is always the expensive way with pets!
    Never booked far in advance--couple of weeks at most.

4. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Is it only Calais that they have trouble with the immigrants?
    We tend not to stay at Calais Aire because of them.

5. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

We can back via Calais on monday addmitinly it was wet but we did not see the mass of immigrants there normaly is, however at the passport control the border control lady told us that motorhomes were being targeted by immigrants on the road! when they slowed or stoped in traffice. She told us they are trying to get into lockers/garages etc so we should keep them locked at all times, also apprantly some motorhomers had been theatened by knives to let poeple in! Personly I did not see any and she may just have been scaremongering? or fishing to see reactions?

6. chaser

chaser Funster

Wouldn't book to far in front, any thing might change in a year that you could not go or even that you could go sooner, and between now and then there will be various offers, just keep a look out for them

7. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Even further in advance we have been booked to look after Grandson whilst his Mum and Dad are in Essen at a conference. We will probably book both the vehicles plus cabins on the same ferry Hull to ?

8. micky drip

micky drip Read Only Funster

We booked on AUG 19th for dover Calais sailing next day on 20th 10.25 a.m. £68 single. AFerry . com
    Took the A26 out of Calais, saw several small groups of illegals along the hard shoulder walking away from Calais, possibly waiting for traffic jams or perhaps just lost

• Like Like x 1
  9. ElvistheKing

ElvistheKing Read Only Funster

I find a spear gun waved at them soon sees them off.

• Like Like x 1