What's the closest you've been for a night away (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Fellow funsters,

Reading the grouping thread about milage got me thinking.

Some of the best nights away that Nikki and I have had, have been a total of 4.1 miles from home at a lovely CL overlooking the canal. Just £5 a night, no facilites, only a fulltimer there, peace, tranquillity and close enough to enable me to run to the running club for a run on Sunday Mornings with the gang.

So excluding your driveway!!!! We've stayed on ours several times. :roflmto:

What is the shortest distance you have travelled for a night away?

Why?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
About 2 miles to the Abbey Wood CC site.

Great it was too:thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Probably about a mile - although its was on our daughters drive when we were babysitting and they were due back late.
Other than that there are a couple of CS sites we used to goto about 7 miles away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Probably about a mile - although its was on our daughters drive when we were babysitting and they were due back late.
Other than that there are a couple of CS sites we used to goto about 7 miles away.

See that's the thing Mr Colpot. Motorhomes are so versatile. They even act as babysitting wagons. Our in laws used to come and see us when ours were little and stop on our drive in their van, saving us to have to ready the guest room. :Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Closet we went was around 40 miles - that said, It wasn't techinally a night, as the gas Failed and we went home not long after we pitched up!

Poor site owner probably thought we were stuck up and didn't like her CL - it was lovely, but cannot be off hook-up without gas!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Closest was about half a mile parked on a friend's driveway for Christmas a few year ago.

Last year we went to a steam rally just the other side of the river for the weekend. It confused the dogs no end as we were half way to the park where I walk them every day. ::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
A couple of miles for us too. We went to a rally with another group we are members of , with a few fellow funsters for the weekend.
It was weird for our dogs too as we took the MH to Pugneys water park for the day , where i regularly walk them. http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/CultureAndLeisure/ParksAndOpenSpaces/PugneysCountryPark/default.htm
Infact it was a further journey to pick the MH up from storage and bring it to the house , than to the rally. ::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Under a mile. Parked on friends drive for a massive pi$$^p and no taxi's and didn't want to walk home at 3am....

Ended up with 5 of us sleeping in MH.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
When our kids were young and we had a touring caravan, we used to regularly go about fifteen miles to a nice little farm CL for a couple of days away. There was an old friendly horse in the camping field and, as we were usually the only unit there, the kids it well and thought of ‘Dobbin’ as their own four-legged friend.

Poor as we were, we had a holiday every weekend (if daddy wasn't working). We were quite impecunious in those days and had to watch the pennies, but the site was only a few quid a night and near a terrific pub, which did wonderful, varied and cheap casseroles every evening. Happy days.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have used ours on a few occasions where we have parked on a friends drive if having a few beers even took it to the golf club for a night out as I was playing at 9 next morning and wouldn't be legal to drive so parked up in the car park.

We often go to a place about 14m away where we wildcamp next to the beach and only 100 yards from pub, normally just stay the night if Sophie is having a sleep over at her friends.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
25 miles for us, don't consider I'm away unless I drive for an hour. :ROFLMAO:

Under a mile. Parked on friends drive for a massive pi$$^p and no taxi's and didn't want to walk home at 3am....

Ended up with 5 of us sleeping in MH.

Hope this doesn't kick off the "drunk in charge of a vehicle" topic again. :Doh:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I don't know if this counts
On our own drive ?

Nope read the thread :winky:

Your clearly cheating :Cool:
Fellow funsters,

Reading the grouping thread about milage got me thinking.

Some of the best nights away that Nikki and I have had, have been a total of 4.1 miles from home at a lovely CL overlooking the canal. Just £5 a night, no facilites, only a fulltimer there, peace, tranquillity and close enough to enable me to run to the running club for a run on Sunday Mornings with the gang.

So excluding your driveway!!!! We've stayed on ours several times. :roflmto:

What is the shortest distance you have travelled for a night away?

Why?

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
away

hag on my drive way me and the enemy couple bottles of iron bru in the van stayed in it :ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Nearest we do regularly is the car park, on the river at Chester, you can pull in longways with the river all for £1.50 per night usual car park fee in the day. Good for a night out always a motorhome or two parked up. It is about 5 miles from home.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
The Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge on the North Yorks moors is about 8 miles from us and a great place to stay.
No hook up or anything other than their car park.
Buy a meal and down a few pints and wake up to one of the best views in Britain, or anywhere else, for that matter. :thumb:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
When our kids were young and we had a touring caravan, we used to regularly go about fifteen miles to a nice little farm CL for a couple of days away. There was an old friendly horse in the camping field and, as we were usually the only unit there, the kids it well and thought of ‘Dobbin’ as their own four-legged friend.

Poor as we were, we had a holiday every weekend (if daddy wasn't working). We were quite impecunious in those days and had to watch the pennies, but the site was only a few quid a night and near a terrific pub, which did wonderful, varied and cheap casseroles every evening. Happy days.

I know exactley what you mean SAM, those were the days, we used to have some fantastic times camping in the tent, on a fireman's wage in those days thats all we could afford,and when off Duty, we went just 3mles away to a farm where the kids would help the farmer milking , feeding the hens and much more,we had great days, i was in the WMFS,whats your brigade SAM, If you and wife ever travel up to this neck of the woods our kettles always on and we can shoot the breeze, Best Regards from an ex college, Alf

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
About 2 miles away when son was very young, many moons ago we stayed at the hidden valley in my dad's motorhome.

We got absolutely drunk in the clubhouse there and what a rocking night it was:Blush::winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back