What tyre should I put on my Spare? (1 Viewer)

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I have 4 Vanco Camper tyres on alloys that have done less than 11,900 miles and show no marks of any sort. The spare wheel has done no mileage, or very little and is another Vanco Camper on a full size steel wheel. But they are all dated 2008 (the base vehicle) and I am going to change them before our next trip.

If we have a puncture, in order to always have a spare wheel available, I would need to divert from my route and find a repairer/fitter asap. So, my question is, do I really need to fit a new matching Camper tyre to the spare at £128.99 from Halfords, or would a cheaper Van tyre suffice when it isn't going to be on for long? Halfords have three tyres from Avon, Firestone and China, which range in price down to below £70.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hmmm. I changed my five year old camper tyres simply because they were five years old and we're starting to show tiny crazing in the sidewalls, but my spare lives in the double floor, has never even seen the light of day and is unused and shows no signs of ageing whatsoever. So, rightly or wrongly, I did not change it. It will be interesting to see other replies! Gary

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Having had no punctures for at least 15 years I'd keep the spare you have or, if it's showing any signs of age cracking, keep the best of the other four. Next time keep the best of the tyres in use as a spare. On the off-chance you have to use it proceed carefully as they say to the nearest tyre place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Mine was a cheapo commercial van tyre, and it just sits there like insurance, it might be needed oneday. In the garage it never sees sunlight to make it age, as that it the killer of tyre, UV light.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you fit a cheaper tyre to the spare it could get expensive if you need it in France or Spain. In France and Spain tyres on the same axle must be the same make and type. Breakdown company will refuse to fit your spare and if they cannot sourse the same tyre as on your van you will have to buy two new tyres.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Personally, if you're going to change every 5 years, I would either keep the spare you have (after a thorough check) or get a suitable cheaper spare.
I've seen where it was suggested to change every 5 years, then 7 years, definitely at 8 years (tyre manufacturer recommended) and never beyond 10.
From 5 years old, I had my tyres thoroughly checked at my local tyre fitters. Now, bear in mind that it would have been in their interest to say I need new tyres at any stage.
Last year, Moho 11 years old and tyres would have been 12 years old, I decided to change them. It was because I thought I might as well do it now as the tyres were a reasonable price and they'll only go up and who knows what or where I'll be in 2028? The spare was properly checked but not replaced but I may have it changed before my holidays in May but that's only because it will eventually need changing so why not now?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If you fit a cheaper tyre to the spare it could get expensive if you need it in France or Spain. In France and Spain tyres on the same axle must be the same make and type. Breakdown company will refuse to fit your spare and if they cannot sourse the same tyre as on your van you will have to buy two new tyres.
Is that the law or just their system because 2 years ago, the breakdown company fitted my spare which was a different make than the others and nothing said.
So, if you have to buy 2 new tyres if they cannot source the same tyre, how will that help if you get another puncture? Is it actual fact or an urban myth.
I can understand the 2 tyre thing but not refusing to fit a spare of a different name particularly if the ones they get are unlikely to be the same as the ones fitted so that means you'd have to have all 5 replaced

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It is the law, I think you were just lucky.
If you were in an accident and the police noticed you would get a heavy fine and it could give the insurance company a get out as your vehicle would not be road legal.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It is the law, I think you were just lucky.
If you were in an accident and the police noticed you would get a heavy fine and it could give the insurance company a get out as your vehicle would not be road legal.
Ok, so I have say Dunlop Q tyres fitted to all wheels but spare is Pirelli. I get a puncture. The breakdown company cannot get a Dunlop Q tyre and won't fit the Pirelli. They tell me they can get Michelin Camper but I have to have 2. Yes, that's OK I say. How can they fit 2 tyres and stay legal? That means I'd have 2 Dunlop Q tyres, 2 Michelin Camper tyres and still no suitable spare.

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Like most Handbooks, my Hymer book states that tyres should be changed every 6 years but, look at this from the Continental Tyres website: "We recommend: All tires (including spare tires) that were manufactured more than ten years ago should be replaced with new tires, even if they appear to be usable from their external appearance and if the tread depth may have not reached the minimum wear out depth." http://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/tire-knowledge/lex-1-2 ???

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Like most Handbooks, my Hymer book states that tyres should be changed every 6 years but, look at this from the Continental Tyres website: "We recommend: All tires (including spare tires) that were manufactured more than ten years ago should be replaced with new tires, even if they appear to be usable from their external appearance and if the tread depth may have not reached the minimum wear out depth." http://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/tire-knowledge/lex-1-2 ???
Yes I'm very aware of it but there are posts saying 5 years, 7 years, 8 years and 10 years. My tyres were professionally checked twice a year.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Ok, so I have say Dunlop Q tyres fitted to all wheels but spare is Pirelli. I get a puncture. The breakdown company cannot get a Dunlop Q tyre and won't fit the Pirelli. They tell me they can get Michelin Camper but I have to have 2. Yes, that's OK I say. How can they fit 2 tyres and stay legal? That means I'd have 2 Dunlop Q tyres, 2 Michelin Camper tyres and still no suitable spare.
Unfortunately its not their problem the fact is the law in these countries states that tyres on the the same axle must be of the the same make and type.
Not much point in arguing about it, it's the law.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Unfortunately its not their problem the fact is the law in these countries states that tyres on the the same axle must be of the the same make and type.
Ah sorry, missed the same axle bit.
Bit like the old radial and crossply law.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When to replace them comes down to use, if you van does 10 - 15000 miles a year they will probably be OK for 7 or 8 years or more( probably wear out before then). If you only do 3 - 4000 miles probably need replacing after 5 years as the rubber tends to harden and crack when left standing, where as when regularly used it stays supple.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm pretty sure that the eu vehicles have to be legal in their own countries don't they..
... and this is honoured in eu countries as part if some directive or another.
If it's the law that the tyres on a UK registered vehicle should be the same make etc on each axle I would be interested to see it as I don't believe that's the case.
Of course it's a different matter when fitting tyres as they have to comply with their laws.
Also... insurance companies not covering a vehicle with different named tyres... but only when in an eu country... I'm not sure that's correct either?
Again I'd be interested to see this

Edit:
DIRECTIVE 2009/40/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 6 May 2009
Chapter 1 article 3. ...

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Just my opinion ,in an ideal world if you've got the cash and wouldn't miss it change them all . If you are like me not living in that ideal world use your best tyre taken off for a spare to get you to a tyre place etc. All the tyres would be the same then so no problems in johnny foreigner land . The last cars i used to build as a job i had to input date codes of tyres fitted , most were over a year old before turning a wheel :rolleyes:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm pretty sure that the eu vehicles have to be legal in their own countries don't they..
... and this is honoured in eu countries as part if some directive or another.
That is a bit of an old wife's tale.
It is legal with some things e.g. you can drive a vehicle in other countries with the rear fog lamp on the wrong side but most laws you have to comply with the law of the country you are driving in and tyres is one of them.
You can drive a car with 1.5mm of tread on the tyres in the UK, Germany requires 2 mm in summer and 3 mm in winter & winter tyres if there is snow on the road etc.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
That is a bit of an old wife's tale.
It is legal with some things e.g. you can drive a vehicle in other countries with the rear fog lamp on the wrong side but most laws you have to comply with the law of the country you are driving in and tyres is one of them.
You can drive a car with 1.5mm of tread on the tyres in the UK, Germany requires 2 mm in summer and 3 mm in winter & winter tyres if there is snow on the road etc.
OK .. winter tyres are a legal requirement based on weather and not part of the testing regime. I'm not sure about the old wives tale tbh .. I'm quite happy to be corrected with some facts though.

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
When to replace them comes down to use, if you van does 10 - 15000 miles a year they will probably be OK for 7 or 8 years or more( probably wear out before then). If you only do 3 - 4000 miles probably need replacing after 5 years as the rubber tends to harden and crack when left standing, where as when regularly used it stays supple.

This makes a lot of sense Lenny and, with the previous owner averaging less than 2000 miles a year, forces me to conclude that I should bite the bullet and go for peace of mind by complete replacement. We're planning a trip to Vienna this year (via northern Italy and possibly Prague) so I really don't want to be heating up such old tyres on all the motorways that that will involve. We were considering a Cover, re-fillable gas bottles or a solar panel. Now I think that the tyres should come first.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
If you drive on alloy wheels and have a steel spare, do you carry alternative wheel studs for the steel wheels?

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
So. If that is the law in France and Spain.. How do you get on with a "space saver" spare wheel as fitted to lots of cars ???
Mitch.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think you'll find the "same make" law will be for French citizens only.
You can't reasonably be expected, as a visitor, to change your tyres to the same make as that law doesn't apply here.
As an example...French trailers are registered in their own right yet ours are not but are free to use their road network.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I dont understand the confusion.
If its not good enough for the van, its not good enough as a spare
Simples
I use the same rule of thumb when asked about tyre swap around's
If it aint good enough for the front, it aint good enough for the back:doh:
G

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you drive on alloy wheels and have a steel spare, do you carry alternative wheel studs for the steel wheels?
Last van had alloys with a steel spare and I carried a set of bolts for it.
Got more sense now consider alloys a waste of money on a Motorhome, current van has and one on order will have steel.
Having had the experience of changing a flat on both give me steels any day.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Worth checking sometimes steel wheel allows wheel studs to pass through discs or drum and foul workings so wheel wont rotate.

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Worth checking sometimes steel wheel allows wheel studs to pass through discs or drum and foul workings so wheel wont rotate.

Thanks for that! The spare is part of the original equipment from Hymer, so it should be okay. But I will search the van for a spare set of studs and, if I don't find any, I will have to ask the fitter to check the wheel when replacing the tyres.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks for that! The spare is part of the original equipment from Hymer, so it should be okay. But I will search the van for a spare set of studs and, if I don't find any, I will have to ask the fitter to check the wheel when replacing the tyres.
I think on the Fiat the shoulder is the same angle just a couple of mm diffence in length.
@Techno should be able to confirm.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
I seem to remember @yodeli putting something on here, after she had consulted the local gendarmerie, some while ago to the effect that it is NOT the law in France that tyres on one axle should be of the same make. If in fact that was the law, then it could prove extremely expensive for those with a double wheel set-up on the back axle.

J

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I seem to remember @yodeli putting something on here, after she had consulted the local gendarmerie, some while ago to the effect that it is NOT the law in France that tyres on one axle should be of the same make. If in fact that was the law, then it could prove extremely expensive for those with a double wheel set-up on the back axle.

J
Yep ! I went to the gendarmerie , next door and ask them . they said although it is safer to have the same make, it is not the law. A tyre seller can't oblige you to put 2 tyres if you require only one. They told me,"we are very understanding on that point , as some people need to drive to their work, and can't always afford 2 tyres at the same time. We encourage them to do so as soon as they can. When the subject came up, I did insist on the fact that it is safer, but if a tyre seller tells you it's the law .... NO it's not!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back