What to legally carry in your vehicle in Spain. (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
But I thought yours past its test?

Strikes me the Spanish can't make up their minds what's legal and what's not
I only fitted the strips 10 days ago ready for my run back to the UK next week. :mad: As for Spanish laws............. not even the Spanish people understand them at times. One day it's done this way and then the next day they don't do it that way..............

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Most people probably 99.9% will not be aware that if you have a Dog in your vehicle it must be harnessed within the vehicle? It needs to be tethered. We ensure our little fellow has a Lead attached that gives him movement but restricts him from flying around the MH in the event of a mishap.

To be honest I think this is a rule that should be more widespread as it makes sense a dog like people should be harnessed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It's interesting better remove mine then asap.
I wouldn't worry except for the test. Then again it is only a problem if they A ) spot them & B) it pops in their head.:LOL: He just said make sure they aren't on for the next test. I'll probably forget by then. :D

They'll have to fine me then! Although I do about ALL on my car, I will certainly not change a wheel on my motorhome (I never check the pressure myself either, too many machines won't work properly and instead of getting a good wheel to travel , you find yourself with a flat one!!), nor will I change a bulb!
I will call insurance , just as I did in France and get one of their huge lorries to come and fix the problem! The nuts are usually so tight , you can't remove them anyway, so why bother! And if they (guardia civil) don't understand, I will give them the tools and let them try.... Ahaaa a good laugh in perspective!
Most of the Guradia if they found the vehicle in a dangerous position would change the wheel for you.

Regarding the warning signs on the bike covers, I only recently found out that, in Spain and Italy, they have to be aluminium rather than plastic/card. And, of course, the Spanish one has only three stripes rather than five like most other countries that require them to be displayed. I have to ask...why? I believe from previous posts that the cops let this pass unless you commit a seperate offence or get involved in an accident.

The Spaniards always insisted on aluminium /steel ones although now they only enforce it on vehicles being used commercially as it is so easy to damage a plastic one when used in industrial situations.
All the EU boards have 3 red stripes it is the heavy haulage Special Transport operations boards that have 5 stripes.
Additionally the 5 stripe board denotes the overhanging Length- The 3 stripe board denotes the edge of overhanging length & is why it must point to the centre of the road.Additionally if you are carrying something that has a width of MORE than 1884mm then 2 boards must be used one positioned facing centre of road on the extreme left & one positioned facin kerb on extreme right. That's here anyway.
http://www.lauristeam-mtb.com/actua...0-obligatorias-portabicicletas-mtb-coche.html

But I thought yours past its test?

Strikes me the Spanish can't make up their minds what's legal and what's not

It did.:):whistle: Just got told to make sure they weren't on for next years . :LOL:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
The Spaniards always insisted on aluminium /steel ones although now they only enforce it on vehicles being used commercially as it is so easy to damage a plastic one when used in industrial situations.
All the EU boards have 3 red stripes it is the heavy haulage Special Transport operations boards that have 5 stripes.
Additionally the 5 stripe board denotes the overhanging Length- The 3 stripe board denotes the edge of overhanging length & is why it must point to the centre of the road.Additionally if you are carrying something that has a width of MORE than 1884mm then 2 boards must be used one positioned facing centre of road on the extreme left & one positioned facin kerb on extreme right. That's here anyway.

http://www.lauristeam-mtb.com/actua...0-obligatorias-portabicicletas-mtb-coche.html

On the Thule website it has this design for Spain:

Broken Link Removed

On the same site, the Italian design is this:

Broken Link Removed

I have a plastic Italian-style sign fitted in a pouch on my bike cover but the last one started to run and now it appears that the whole sign has to be reflective in Italy, I'm heading to Sardinia in April so will try to buy one then. Otherwise I will just carry on breaking the law! Thanks for the reply anyway, I will just alternate the signs depending which country I'm in

:):whistle:

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have skim read, so I do apologise if this has been covered and I have missed it.
So do I take it that sales of the following cars are illegal in Spain:
Vauxhall Astra VXR
Seat Leon FR
Seat Cupra R
Audi TT

I could go on, because all of these are supplied with no spare wheel, but an emergency repair kit in lieu, how does Spain deal with this? (Especially since 2 are manufactured in Spain)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@Don Quixote . I have sussed the problem re ; the reflective tape. I used the orange/amber , which most Uk people would, when that colour is actually to denote side markings on vehicles over a certain weight & it is the clear/silver that is meant for forward facing .
It suddenly dawned on me yesterday when cleaning a trailer.
red= rear
White=front
Yellow= sides
(y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
@Don Quixote . I have sussed the problem re ; the reflective tape. I used the orange/amber , which most Uk people would, when that colour is actually to denote side markings on vehicles over a certain weight & it is the clear/silver that is meant for forward facing .
It suddenly dawned on me yesterday when cleaning a trailer.
red= rear
White=front
Yellow= sides
(y)
Thanks for the update, I have white/silver on the mirrors and top front of MH, I do have a long strip of white/sliver on the back, so will remove that today. We are heading to UK Monday if not before.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back