What to do if your Camper is too slow?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by veevee, Nov 18, 2011.

1. veevee

veevee Funster

Posting this as a general non specific make question.

Have just driven around 550 miles in a very slow (top speed) camper.

In the early noughties we spent 3 years driving over 100,000 kms in an even slower one, but even though this one accelerates a little faster and has a probable top speed a few mph more, it surprised me how in just 7 years the difference between "normal" traffic and this (new to us) old camper appeared so dramitic to the point of mildly dangerous on occassion on motorways.

The comfortable cruising speed was just under 50mph although I drove just above 50mph.

Is there a general acceptance that old campers are just very slow or are there accepted within a reasonable budget chosen methods of adding say 10mph to the cruising speed?

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Depends mainly on the model. Non turbo engines are SLOW but tend to be more reliable. I have an old camper that is capable of well in access of 80 MPH and would happily cruise at 70 all day but I like to travel at around 55 to 60.

3. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

ours does 70 down hill with the wind behind us and 50 up hill whatever the wind

4. Madmark62

Madmark62 Read Only Funster

Hi, our LeSharo is slow, well it will get to about 70 ish, but it is downhill with a tail wind:Laughing:, we travel at about 55-60 moh and that feels ok in the van. We have a 2.1 turbo diesel Renault trafic engine of 1985 vintage, so we dont thrash her , not that it would make much difference anyway, not with only 85 bhp!!:Rofl1::Rofl1:

5. SPUD'N'T

SPUD'N'T Funster

not sure what top speed ours does, but we like to travel at 55-60 mph like snowbird and find it more relaxing and economical

6. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Well my 3.0 litre 6 speed 4000kg goes like a greased ferret. The day I bought it I took it up to 100mph on the speedo probably about 96-97.

Problem was the fuel gauge was moving as fast as the rev counter.

I stick at 58-65mph purely for mpg. Sub 60 returns me 27mpg. I seem to get 25mpg otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Only one way to find out

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qu-NgzjSME[/ame]

• Like Like x 6
  8. aba

aba

it all depends on how the engine is revving at your happy cruising speed if its not revving too hard then maybe a service could help.
    if its just slow and feels a bit gutless it could be down to previous owners being too gentle with it.
    all engines need to work hard at some point in their life and if they have been pootling around at 30 miles an hour they can be a right pig to get much out of them.

a good diesel injector cleaner added to the tank in a higher than stated dose then a good run but revving the engine quite hard ie using a gear lower than you normally would once the engine is warm can be a way of just helping it along.

9. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgLD6ELZDGY&feature=related[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_yxhNboLMg&feature=related[/ame]

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Our van will do 70 easily enough (except up steep hills) but we tend to keep to around 50-55 for fuel economy.

Our son reckons his recently acquired 30 year old camper will do about 55 max.

11. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

buy a faster one:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

where's Buttons ?:Wink::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. pappajohn

Nothing wrong with driving at 50mph.....:thumb:

I have taught myself, through perseverance, frustration, anger, cursing and muttering to drive at 50mph-ish at 1800rpm...not so bad on A roads but a bugger on motorways but come to a hill and the cruise control drops a gear and revs rise to 4000rpm just to make 40mph.:Eeek:

I reckon my motorhome is good for around 80mph to 90mph, as it should be with a 360hp 6.8ltr V10 petrol lump under my feet, but then 50mph gives me a nice, healthy 10mpg :cry:.

14. veevee

veevee Funster

I am using actual speed, checked against two sat navs. The speedo gave a 15% error, read 92 kph while satnavs read exactly 80.

I have a bit of a feel for engines and their rotating speeds although not so much with diesels. This is a 5 cylinder Mercedes on a 410D chassis, 95ps is quoted.

Take your point aba, the uphill performance was markedly better after the first 300 miles or so, but the engine sounded harsh at an actual 55 mph (88 kph).
    I know that this MH hasn't travelled anywhere since July and a hunch that for the previous 5 or 6 years hardly did a few thousand miles each year.
    It's on 42,000 miles at the moment so almost new for a Merceds diesel I'd guess.

Would like the option to cruise comfortably at 60mph and feel that the engine is capable of that, but it may be pushing it too hard to attempt that?

That's the reason for asking a general question. If an engine is happy cruising at 50 mph but the traffic is travelling at say 65mph, what would be the method for a MH of comfortably increasing the road speed to say 60mph without increasing engine speed.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  15. pappajohn

That's only possible by altering the gear ratio's or, if there is such a modification for that vehicle, adding an overdrive unit and you would be hard pressed to go any faster as the higher gearing would probably be too much for the engines power and torque.

adding larger wheels may do it but again, the increase in gearing my be too much for the engine.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  16. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

our RV will cruse all day at 70+ but i only go about 60
    it having a 7.4Ltr Engine i am not surprised at its acceleration and top speed

most euro motor homes are over loaded for the size of engine fitted
    my old Mercedes
    had a 2.3LTR diesel non turbo and would only do 50 ish but did do almost 30MPG so was cheaper to run than the RV but the extra comfort ,size and power are worth the small extra cost cost :thumb:

17. aba

aba

we used to hire a 410 merc for shifting sound systems it too was a horribly slow thing to drive especially when full although i don't recall it being so slow however that is one of the most reliable vans you could buy.
    it should be quite happy sat in the left hand lane sat behind the trucks and i feel that the engine will cope quite well with 55mph.
    which shouldn't be a problem with the new trucks limited to 52mph.

18. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Our van is a 2ltr JTD-it was sluggish on hills with only 80BHP we had it re-mapped to give around 120 BHP,now it goes like s**t off a shovel :Smile: and cruising at around 60-65 mph we return 32 mpg-suits me
    Mike

19. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Any engine will only do what it will do.
    To get the best from any engine:
    Accept its limitations, treat it with respect, dont abuse it but make it work for its keep.
    Go over 60 and the fuel suffers on any MH. They are after all as aerodynamic as a brick.
    Like Mikes, our 2.8dtd goes like sh*t off a shovel, gives good figures without boy racer driving.

• Like Like x 2
  20. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

What's the rush.....?

C....H....I....L....L

• Like Like x 4