What to choose _ Satellite or Wi Fi (1 Viewer)

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
I know its been covered before, but time and technology moves on ( so to speak) I am not in the market for a Starlink system but looking for a wifi system as opposed to a satellite system that would be suitable for Europe and GB with reasonable down load speeds of 300mbs. What do you use and how good is the coverage?

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Only one option for U.K. and Europe with decent speeds is Starlink.

No Wi-Fi mobile option come close.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You won't find a mobile phone based solution that regularly gives 300mbps unless you pitch up in city centres with the latest 5G.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I know its been covered before, but time and technology moves on ( so to speak) I am not in the market for a Starlink system but looking for a wifi system as opposed to a satellite system that would be suitable for Europe and GB with reasonable down load speeds of 300mbs. What do you use and how good is the coverage?
Once again, I'll own up to being a newbie so far as MH's are concerned, but the TP Link Mifi M7350 router we carry with a 200Gb monthly SIM runs / streams everything we need very nicely. Why would you need 300Mbps download when travelling anyway? Our 4G speeds of 25 - 50 are perfectly adequate. Maybe if you are a PC gamer you would need more bandwidth / data perhaps?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
CAT 6 devices are rated at 300 Mbs however your extremely unlikely to achieve that over 4g, 100 Mbs are more likely depending on your sim card your location and your contract, in the UK EE give the best coverage and the best available speeds on some of their contracts however EE charge for roaming so it could work out expensive in Europe. I have an unlimited data, fastest speeds available EE contract in a CAT 12 device (600Mbs) I also have a Tesco mobile unlimited data sim in a CAT 6 device this works great in Europe and I can use all my data at no extra charge, however the coverage in the UK is not as good as EE which is why I have 2 devices, if one won't work the other usually will.

OP
OP
The Coops

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
I was going off what I get at home! So something like an Avtex AMR 985 would be more than sufficient using the RWG 200mb data card?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
More tha
I was going off what I get at home! So something like an Avtex AMR 985 would be more than sufficient using the RWG 200mb data card?
More than sufficient. :) You can watch TV happily on around 4 Mbps and even down to 1 Mbps. You need more for 4K but that will eat your data allowance.

OP
OP
The Coops

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Thank you

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
cant be arsed with a data card and the data cost

.. can't afford Starlink ..

not big on TV but when we want it, I use a small portable sat dish ..

Multimo, can use a tripod, or sit on the ground, also has a magmount

cost nothing to use, . and literally hundreds of free-to-view channels

second hand..

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Im using a Huawei B5353-232 which has been more than sufficient in Germany, Austria & Italy on our current trip with a Popit (EE) sim. Currently in the Dolomites & wife is streaming Strictly live. No external antenna needed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back