What the heck have I done now? (1 Viewer)

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
Hi all from sunny Northumberland!
Just bought a 1990 Fiat Ducato and getting used to the oddities of the gearbox, the lack of 'poke' and the absence of power-assisted steering (doing my feeble-old-geezer upper body tone the world of good, mind!)
Although the previous owner walked me through all the Zig stuff, the blown air 'central heating', the joys of the cassette toilet, etc, I retained pretty much nothing and have spent today trying things out. We'll get there...
Then there's the question of setting up the double bed (not the climby-up one: that's for storage!) Oh the joys!
Still, it looks like I've stumbled on the right place to come to for answers!
David Guthrie

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
:hiya2:

Welcome to the Forum and the world of motorhomes.

We gave been Motorhomers, on and off, for 30 years and are still learning from this Forum.

Ask away and you are sure to find someone who knows the answer. There are no such things as silly questions, only silly people who are too reticent to ask!(y):)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Hey! the will it? IF its there? YES Ive found it G/box raffle, the smashed Knuckles on the dash after selecting 1st gear, YES!!! remember it well.
AND absolutely loved it!!!
Had a G reg Pilote, wonderful wonderful machine! built like a tank, steered like a tank:rofl::rofl:! Solid wood, none of this Chipboard rubbish!
Problem though was the Non power steering, still regret getting rid:doh:
Welcome anyway! May the muscles on your arms be as strong as an All Blacks thighs, and may you camels have a thousand babies:hi5:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
David and a warm welcome from us.

You could, at some time in the future, have after-market power steering fitted. There is a guy near Stratford-upon-Avon that does it. Our neighbour had it fitted to his MH and was very happy.

The gear change on the older Fiats can also be fixed. The problem is that they were originally designed for a left-hand drive and there was a design fault in the alteration. Again, it can be fixed. Someone in Swindon can supply a modification and, if necessary, fit it for you.

Think you will probably have to live with the lack of power although, having said that, when we first got our Talbot we had it serviced and a new air filter made all the difference.

The joy of owning an older vehicle is that most things can be repaired, unlike the computerised newer models where a whole new unit has to be purchased at horrendous cost.

We hope you have many happy years with your new toy!

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Sunny Northumberland :Eeek:
I didn't move from Newcastle many years ago because it was tooooo sunny :whistle2:
Seriously though a warm:welcomesign: from a distinctly cool Yorkshire.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome enjoy your new van and have many safe and wonderful trips in her.:WelcomeFlag:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What the heck have I done now? And what the heck have I still to do....:ROFLMAO:

Subscribe to mhf by coughing up the £15annual membership fee which entitles you to unlimited posts and full access to all areas of the .website. Money well spent IMO :)

OP
OP
David Guthrie

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
Thanks again, folks!
Thanks too to Rob and Val for the words of encouragement about the old Fiat. The lack of 'poke' is purely down to the difference between the van and my old Saab 9-5 estate which has plenty of it!
I'll maybe check out North East bods who could retro-fit PAS, but really we bust the budget just buying the darn thing!
Off to the local caravan supplies place to look for new toys today. Should be fun!
Best wishes to all
David (and Chris)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Hi Big Bertha!
Whereabouts in God's Own County do you live? We're in Felton, between Morpeth and Alnwick.
David & Chris

Hi David, we are in Belford so not far away, my sister has lived here for 10 years. Not far away from the border which makes me feel better.;):D

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Hi all from sunny Northumberland!
Just bought a 1990 Fiat Ducato and getting used to the oddities of the gearbox, the lack of 'poke' and the absence of power-assisted steering (doing my feeble-old-geezer upper body tone the world of good, mind!)
Although the previous owner walked me through all the Zig stuff, the blown air 'central heating', the joys of the cassette toilet, etc, I retained pretty much nothing and have spent today trying things out. We'll get there...
Then there's the question of setting up the double bed (not the climby-up one: that's for storage!) Oh the joys!
Still, it looks like I've stumbled on the right place to come to for answers!
David Guthrie

Sounds just like my first week with the MoHo :)

Learning curve was steep and fast in some areas. First night when temperature fell close to freezing, it took me just five minutes to work out how the central heating worked :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back