What Size Wheels For 4t? ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wiljoy, Jul 4, 2015.

1. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Over the years I have always been advised that any weight upgrade over 3.5t should have 16"wheels as standard. I've just been talking to a very very unhappy new timer in France who has just purchased a hymer c class. It's brand new and the dealer made a total mess of his original order even down to the tonnage. He has 15"wheels and the dealer upgraded the vehicle through SVTech to 4t. Is this now okay with this size wheel .
    Any help for this future funster please.

2. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

My Autocruise Starspirit has 15" wheels and has been upgraded to 3.7 ton by SVtech. The only modification it had prior to the upgrade was 'Air assisted suspension'. (Not sure if this information helps you any.)

3. SMB

SMB Funster

I think the upgrade by SVTech also takes the speed rating of the tyre into consideration as well. Im going to the weighbridge when I get back to the UK in a few days (if the French let me) to see if I need the upgrade. My van is currently rated at 4005kgs btw and has 16" 225/75 R16's fitted.

4. edgy

edgy Funster

It is down to the tyre rating and not the size. He will be ok on 15" rims as long as the tyre rating is up to spec. I have a Merc and that can go up to 4 ton with the tyres on it on 15" rims . This was told to me by SV tech

• Like Like x 1
  5. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Hymer S700 1992 4600kg has 14 inch wheels.

6. Jean-luc

Jean-luc Funster

Not quite the same. The S700 is built on a 410 D chassis with a twin wheel rear axle.

7. wizza

wizza Funster

Upgraded to4.1T from 3.5T Maxi chassis 16 inch wheels, had to fit air assist to rear, tyres 215/75/16/116/114

8. seabreezesports

seabreezesports Funster

Read your tyres . There is a load rating on them with the maximum pressure. Be aware this is the maximum and the manufacturers don't expect their tyres to be at that weight all their lives . I would knock 10% off for motorhomes Maybe more if you tend to drive at motorway speeds.

9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Problem with paper upgrade is axle capacity stays the same if not on maxi chassis which he presumably thought he was getting?. There lies the compromise, cock up, whatever you want to call it

He should have rejected it, insisted on getting what he ordered....