What size Generator

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Jim et Lou, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Jim et Lou

Jim et Lou Read Only Funster

I am looking at getting a generator, but I know nothing about them at all. So, could any of you guy's advise me as to what size I would need. Thank you in anticipation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

What do you want it to do?

3. Jim et Lou

I want to run the internal lights (SMD's) fridge and 240 v tv + battery charging

4. maz

maz Funster

Hi there. The lights will run off the battery anyway. If the fridge is a normal motorhome 3-way one, wouldn't it be easier and more economic to run it off gas when off hook-up? Getting a 12v TV would also be easier (and quieter) than running a generator when you want to watch TV. You could run a 1kW suitcase generator to top up your battery when necessary but have you thought about getting more/larger batteries instead. Depending on your usage and planned length of time off hook-up, they might be enough by themselves. Or you could always add solar panel(s) to top up your batteries (late spring to early autumn in UK anyway). HTH :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jim et Lou

Thanks Maz, I think you are right I do not do a lot off EHU so would probably be a waist of money. Thank you for taking time to help :thumb:

6. peter H

peter H Funster Life Member

I predict that with in 10 posts to this thread it will have morphed into a Rec versus Yellow debate.

(I carry a 2kw gennerator because it's the largest I can physically handle into and out of its storage position under the bed.)

And I'm not telling you what colour it is.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  7. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

So many people seem to be keen to "talk" someone out of having a generator.....:Eeek: I don't know why, as a generator is really an amazingly useful thing to have, not just for motorhoming........if you want one, and can afford one, then buy one and don't listen to people who constantly want to know why you can't get a different tv, use this or that differently etc. different strokes for different folks and all that :Eeek:

I bit the bullet earlier this year and bought the Honda eu20i, its absolutely fantastic and because it produces pure sinewave power, delicate electronics are safe as well. You can certainly buy cheaper, but I daresay not better. KIpors are a good bit cheaper but the quality is obviously not the same; Hyundai generators also get reasonable reviews and one of our trade members offers Funsters a discount on them.

However, as with most things you get what you pay for. I am really glad I bought the Honda.

Haha Red vs Yellow it is I guess :) Nothing against Kipor, though, I just prefer my Honda!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. maz

maz Funster

Because in the OP's case, he would have been running a generator constantly to power his fridge and watch TV! Hardly practical. :RollEyes:

I answered the post with what I consider to be the best advice for the particular circumstances quoted.

• Like Like x 11
  9. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

All good points to bear in mind, don't forget WEIGHT! some vans are very near their limit and people have no idea what the weigh.
    Steve
    ps one x geny = 50 cans of beer:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I wanted a small genny for topping up batteries. We don't do TV, have 2 leisure batteries, a 1kw inverter and solar power, so a 1kva ( actually its 1.25kva) unit was big enough.
    We didn't go for red or yellow, we got a pale blue one.
    Easy to pick up and store, easier to start and very quiet.
    Its an SDMO Booster 1000.

Allan

• Like Like x 1
  11. tinkering

tinkering Funster

Gennys

:Smile:The first rule in this Motorhoming lark is Keep it Simple.

Your very nice van already has everything in it that you need.

It will have a battery charger ,quite capable of keeping your battery charged
    your water heater will be powered by Gas and 240 volts, the fridge, Gas 240v and when the engine is running 12 volts DC.

I have a Honda eu20i 21 Kg one 110 amp battery 24 Kg, I also use a 600 watt inverter the inverter is used to power a laptop/Ipad/mobile phone/19 inch lcd tv.

When the genny is connected to the van it powers the water heater and fridge (why use precious gas) as well as charging the leisure battery, its also used to power a 1800 watt hair dryer,(not mine:Smile:) and a 240 volt 600 watt electric kettle, as well as all the stuff already mentioned.

I also have a 80 Watt Solar panel:Smile: if your lucky 4 amps(9am to 3pm)

I always carry my own luck, its a Honda:thumb:

Cheap no good...Good no Cheap:thumb:

12. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

keep-calm-and-open-up-another-can-of-worms.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

We have a 750watt kippor
    I have used it about 3 times in 2 years and only carry it in winter months just in case we need a top up it will just run our on board charging and a 500 watt fan heater
    Do I need probably not I could just start up van and recharge that way
    But its nice to know its there just in case
    As I found out in -5 at spring newark show

• Like Like x 1
  14. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I carry a 1kw genny for the main purpose of SWMBO being able to use her 800w hair drier/curling thingy when we are off hook up.
    It has been used more by my brother-in-law to charge his cheapskate caravan battery because it would only last a day and then go flat. I have persuaded him to buy a new one.

I have a solar panel, 2x110ah batteries and gas.
    All the appliances run off 12 volt, 240 volt or gas, or a combination of all of them as needs dictate.
    In two years I have probably used the genny approx. four times for my own use, and never to charge the batteries.

It is a nice security blanket feeling to have it, but I have the load capacity to carry it. If not, it will be left in the garage. I'd rather have the 50 cans of beer. :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. camcondor

But it was not an answer to the actual question asked, just your opinion on what the OP should do....... And if the OP (or anyone else) wants to watch a Tv and power a fridge with a generator, that is their decision to make, not yours......:RollEyes: looks like another thread might degenerate into a popularity contest by the look of it.

Actually, very few people "need" motorhomes, either, but choose to have them - the same can be said for generators. They are superb pieces of equipment, so useful, perhaps underused but if you want one, get one.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  16. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

1kva will do what you want but no more. If you want microwave hair curlers etc no. But for what you asked 1kva will do.
    Steve

17. iandsm

iandsm Funster

generators

I know why, they don't want to be next to someone using one.

18. maz

maz Funster

How long have you been a member of Fun? Since 2007? And you still expect all posts in a thread to specifically answer the original question? :Rofl1:

All info or advice given was with the best of intentions. Of course the OP can buy a generator if he wants to. However, if he plans on running it constantly to power a fridge he will become very unpopular with any neighbours. :wub:

Any thread degeneration into a 'popularity contest' is at your instigation. :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 4
  19. camcondor

I do expect questions to be answered, yes, quaint perhaps, but that is the nature of my profession.

Of course it was. Your good intention did not answer the actual question though, and such threads generally then descend entirely into personal opinions about whether someone should own or buy the item, in this case a generator, or not.

BTW The noise nuisance depends on the generator of course and how long and when used. If someone wants to run a fridge full time on a generator, they may bother no-one at all, depending on where they are parked up. They may also find that their generator "vanishes" in the small hours as gennies used all night like that tend to attract thieves who travel with bolt cutters etc to make off with said gennie. :BigGrin:

As to instigation of anything, i have not done so. Merely remarked on the fact that it was likely to happen. Not quite the same. :Eeek:

20. camcondor

Well don't be. No-one is forcing you to be there! I can hardly hear my Honda eu20i running when I am in the van, let alone if the TV or radio is on, so its unlikely it will be bothering anyone else. Added to which, I would never run it all night.