what mifi? (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Looks like our huawei E5573 mifi has decided to pack up on us . It worked well over approx 4 years so no complaints from us regarding that .. Most of that time the mifi was used on a part time basis, ie when we were out and about in the van . However about 4 or 5months ago we ditched our home broadband landline and opted for using a smarty sim and the mifi full time for our web needs. The last month or so the mifi was progressively getting poorer at staying on line . Together with the gadget getting noticably warmer to the touch . Tried a new battery , no benefit.Eventually just packing in altogether.

Really not sure if its just coincidental that the mifi packed up when in full time use and basically on constant mains charge......Thats the background , now the question/s please.

No doubt mifi gadgets and connectivity abilities etc has marched on apace since the E5573 hit the market. So am now looking for suggestions as to what mifi to replace it with . Bearing in mind full time use at home and then van use when out and about. We tend to end up in some fairly remote spots so looking for good connection abilities from the gadget . ( we have a roof fitted poynting branded puck antenna on the van ) Also hoping for a replacement mifi with , ideally , a better battery time than the E5573 , so as to allow switching the thing off and not being on permanent charge. That "might" help maintain the life of the gadget, although thats only guessing at that ...........So , any advice appreciated and welcome on latest/best/reasonable cost etc etc mifi please.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it may just be the battery, replacements on ebay cheap. or change for a 5577c with external aerial ports

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years
Thanks for your reply , appreciated ..As said ,I did try a new battery, made no difference to the thing not exactly overheating but getting distinctly warm when in use. Not sure if that was caused by the mifi just being on the way out and the getting over warm caused by it maybe constantly searching for a connection (polling)..... Actually have looked at the reviews of the 5577 that you suggest. Nothing really bad found , so that might be an option.

Last edited:

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Looks like our huawei E5573 mifi has decided to pack up on us . It worked well over approx 4 years so no complaints from us regarding that .. Most of that time the mifi was used on a part time basis, ie when we were out and about in the van . However about 4 or 5months ago we ditched our home broadband landline and opted for using a smarty sim and the mifi full time for our web needs. The last month or so the mifi was progressively getting poorer at staying on line . Together with the gadget getting noticably warmer to the touch . Tried a new battery , no benefit.Eventually just packing in altogether.

Really not sure if its just coincidental that the mifi packed up when in full time use and basically on constant mains charge......Thats the background , now the question/s please.

No doubt mifi gadgets and connectivity abilities etc has marched on apace since the E5573 hit the market. So am now looking for suggestions as to what mifi to replace it with . Bearing in mind full time use at home and then van use when out and about. We tend to end up in some fairly remote spots so looking for good connection abilities from the gadget . ( we have a roof fitted poynting branded puck antenna on the van ) Also hoping for a replacement mifi with , ideally , a better battery time than the E5573 , so as to allow switching the thing off and not being on permanent charge. That "might" help maintain the life of the gadget, although thats only guessing at that ...........So , any advice appreciated and welcome on latest/best/reasonable cost etc etc mifi please.

Hi Tom hope you don't mind but I was wondering if you had used the smarty sim for long, I'm asking as my wife has just seen a £10.00 30GB deal with Smarty (I know its ltd to 19GB abroad) I use EE and we wanted a different provider for her phone so if ones not receiving the other may do any problems with it

OP
OP
T
Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Exp
8 years
Hi Tom hope you don't mind but I was wondering if you had used the smarty sim for long, I'm asking as my wife has just seen a £10.00 30GB deal with Smarty (I know its ltd to 19GB abroad) I use EE and we wanted a different provider for her phone so if ones not receiving the other may do any problems with it

Hi , I dont mind in the slightest , ask away. ...We used the smarty sim on a part time basis ( when away in the van ) over the space of approx 3 months. Then ,I think , around 4 / 5 months ago started using it full time , replacing the home broadband landline . We tend to get to some remote places , eg cairngorms , glencoe , kielder forest etc and the sim has worked fine. A few places no signal. So in fairness worth the outlay , as it covers all bases for us. We have the £20 monthly unlimited data/texts and calls sim.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Hi , I dont mind in the slightest , ask away. ...We used the smarty sim on a part time basis ( when away in the van ) over the space of approx 3 months. Then ,I think , around 4 months ago started using it full time , replacing the home broadband landline . We tend to get to some remote places , eg cairngorms , glencoe , kielder forest etc and the sim has worked fine. A few places no signal. So in fairness worth the outlay , as it covers all bases for us. We have the £20 monthly unlimited data/texts and calls sim.

Thanks for fast reply Tom appreciated

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Tom, I think you had a Live Chat with us on a similar theme yesterday. For 'home' use you would almost be better with a domestic home router with dedicated mains supply - Huawei B525/B535 or similar. The Huawei E5573 is a budget, cut down device that operators could give away for free with a data plan so 4 years hard labor probably isn't that bad service. It doesn't sound like you actually 'need' the battery and while having the device powered on via an external source 24/7 shouldn't in itself cause a problem and having a device with a larger battery wouldn't necessarily solve that. I met a customer recently with an E5372 we sold in 2014 who's professed to have had it on virtually 24/7 for 6 years!

The PUCK antenna is a fairly poor receiver in remote locations, it is rated at (minus!) -5dB at 800Mhz which is the frequency band that serves remote areas as it has the greatest range, it's better suited in built-up areas where it has a gain of +6dB at 1700-2100Mhz (shorter range) hence why it is primarily marked as a smart metering / M2M product and so this really isn't the best antenna and for remote spots.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
The PUCK antenna is a fairly poor receiver in remote locations, it is rated at (minus!) -5dB at 800Mhz which is the frequency band that serves remote areas as it has the greatest range, it's better suited in built-up areas where it has a gain of +6dB at 1700-2100Mhz (shorter range) hence why it is primarily marked as a smart metering / M2M product and so this really isn't the best antenna and for remote spots.
Addie, are the comments You make regarding the OP'S puck antenna (regarding it's unsuitablity for remote areas) the same for the 4G 'puck style' Antenna you sell?
Or does your antenna have a different spec?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back