What little........

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Luvin156, May 1, 2016.

1. Luvin156

Luvin156 Funster

Items or tips do you wish you had have taken thought of when you first started motohomming.

I haven't even got my first MH but I do like to be prepared as much as I can so I would like to call on the collective advise of the people that have been there and done it.

Thanks in advance

Paul

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If I had Jim's buyer's guide before buying I would have had loads and loads of extra wine money. See Jim's Shop.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Payload
    Layout
    Corkscrew / bottle opener
    :):)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

image.jpg We bought this book before we bought our first motorhome! Found it very useful!
    I have a spare copy if you want it PM me and I can send it to you.:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Layout, layout, layout.

And then layout.

6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Almost agree, as long as you add a couple of "payloads".

7. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I always forget about payload.. which reminds me I must get to a weighbridge lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Hyacinth 1

Hyacinth 1 Funster Life Member

Payload, you don't realise how much you put inside these vans.

A bottle opener too.

Liz

9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I still fail to understand how I made it into my 50s before owning a digital multimeter and using a soldering iron.

A basic understanding of how 12v electrics work has proven very handy for me, not least when a dealership failed to install my solar panel properly and I was able to point out their error.

Layout - our choice was based on not wanting to convert beds into chairs into dining tables into beds etc ad nauseam, which had been the case in our old VW.

Given the layout is right, I wish I'd got comfier chairs in the habitation area. If I was buying again I'd go for the swivelly cab seats option to make better use of the space, but we were on a budget first time round.

Having the telly high up may give you a crick in your neck - think about where's comfortable to watch a screen, and whether that space is available for it.

If you want to be truly independent when travelling have a solar panel fitted, and consider getting a refillable gas cylinder.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. WillH

WillH Funster

And then layout!!!!

11. Luvin156

Luvin156 Funster

I think I have already nailed down the layout that would be good for my clan.

Are there any little tips that you guys maybe didn't think of before setting out on your first trip?

12. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Don't forget some drinking water, we take a 5L from any of the supermarkets, refill that and use for drinking and making tea. You never know how your fresh water tank has been looked after, and will want to get away as soon as you can, factor in giving water system a good clean. Assuming this is a used van. Think through your day, washing, dressing, eating and take the minimum you need for that, don't forget a can opener, it is the thing we have been asked to lend the most. have some for of entertainment for you all, think stuck in the van in a muddy wet field miles from anywhere. Take your favourite tipple, relax and enjoy. Don't forget about the payload ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

If you have several people (as opposed to just 1 or 2) you are going to carry then payload becomes even more important, and even more difficult to keep within. And the number of proper belted travel seats also becomes very important. You will be surprised at how often you will come across motorhomes that have berths for 5 or 6, but seat belts or only 3 or 4 people.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TerryL

TerryL Funster

DON'T visit an accessory shop and think "that would be a good idea"! Get a couple of trips under your belt first to find out what you REALLY need. I bet most of us on here have got a box (or even half a garage full) of bits they bought but then found they didn't need them. That will go part way towards "payload"!

• Like Like x 2
  15. stevec

stevec Funster

Something to drain the washed dishes etc onto. We use a microfibre sponge thingy from Lakeland (cheaper elsewhere) which is easy to dry out and store. Also a small container for washing up liquid. We have a 30ml (ish) sample size that we have had since our caravanning days (20 years ago). We've never seen any since and would be loathe to lose it! It all helps with the weight (did somebody mention payload?).

16. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Yes , check the payload if you've got kids and all the trimmings that go with them.
    You may be on for a shock if you plan on taking bikes , scooters , kayacs etc. Go to a weigh bridge with you the wife and kids plus any pets in the van. Before you start to decide what you'd like to take with you........... There may be just enough for a tank of water some clothes and a bit of food. Depending on how much all the family weigh.

17. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We've got a mini ( white plastic) fairy washing up liquid bottle, we used to use when tenting with the kids , and before kids ! We've had it that long , I washed it out and put it in the loft with other sentimental bits and bobs and use a normal one in Pug now.

18. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Only 2 important things to remember

1 Layout Layout Layout

2 Sense of humour

Getting the first right will save a fortune and loads of heartache.
    The second copes with everything else motorhoming chucks at you.
    :)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

You can try too hard to "get it right" so Forestboy's no2 is by far the MOST important. Try to remember this is supposed to be fun.:):)

20. bungy

bungy Funster

A good reason to be upwind of him at all times(y)