what is the best tablets to purify water

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Heyupluv, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Hi Motorhomers
    At the moment I am using Aqua tabs to put in my on-board tank to purify the water,
    What do other Motorhomers use in there tanks, and what is the best and the cheapest place to buy them.
    Mel

2. highwayman

highwayman Funster Life Member

Hi Mel
    We put-in a big bottle of Milton once a year
    We draw it through to the taps then leave-it overnight before flushing through with fresh water.
    I'm sure others do things differently but this works for us :thumb:

regards...nige

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

Why do you need purifying tablets, unless the source is dubious they are not required..

As previous poster, I sterilize the tank and pipework once a year using household bleach (Milton is just a fancy name for weak bleach) using about 1 tea cup per 70 gal tank of water .. pump through the system, leave for 20 mins then drain and flush .. full time for 3 years and no tummy upsets..
    Smaller tanks obviously need less bleach..

If you are in any doubt about using bleach, I can assure you that is what is used in food factories to sterilize fruit and veg prior to packing.. I worked in one for 7 years ..

4. weymard

weymard Read Only Funster

I use Micropur

5. alf

alf Read Only Funster

Fresh Water Tanks

Proberly the cheapest way to treat fresh water tanks is by using supermarket sterilising tablets these cost a fraction of the caravan market ones.
    One example is asda little angels 56 sterilising tablets the box gives instructions for water purification and sterilising We always used puraclean for sterilising . untill an industrial chemist pointed out that most tablets were made by one firm. I clean our fresh water tank at least twice a year as we use the van all the time.

We also use a nature pure water filter

For the last year we have been using a product called ELSAN Elsil this is a drinking water purifier it is used in the aircraft industry for aircraft fresh water tanks they quote treated water lasting weeks.
    they Quote it
    complete sterilisation,effective against all organisums including bacteria,viruses,amoebas,fungiyeasts and spores.it is long lasting and prevents
    recontamination.A 100ml pack treats 1000litres of water.

We also use these in our toilet waste tank.
    These are easier to use than liquid and one sachet can be added to the toilet flush tank

WATER SOLUBLE TOILET SACHETS

ELSAN Blue Bags are Water soluble toilet sachets with a New improved formula. they provide a fast, clean, convenient way to charge your chemical toilet or cassette system. New Blue Bags provide the ultimate in convenience, and reliability with a concentrated Aerospace formula and certified storage stability.
    see Welcome to the Elsan website you can order direct and orders were post free on our last order.

Regards Alf

6. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi Mel.

I always sterlise tanks with Campden Tablets obtainable from wine or homebrew shops.

Then I would use a Nature Pure water filter to filter drinking water only to make the cart. last longer. They last for about 2 years depending on use, but you soon know when its time to change as flow rate drops to a trickel. They are not cheap but are good remove almost everything, and give tast free water, better for the cuppa.:thumb::thumb: Web site

Home

Dave

7. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi I am with both highwayman & Jim (ScotJimland) on this but do use either bleech or a cheepo bottle of milton type fluid (if I pick a bottle up) in about February after draining down just before xmas :Rofl1:
    I drink both straight from the tank and bottled water (refilled from the tap :Rofl1:) but SWMBO will only use the tank water for washing up and showers :BigGrin: Never done me any harm YET:Rofl1:
    terry

8. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

what was the cost of the ASDA tabs as we are going over to England next month....Mel

9. ronald4874

ronald4874 Read Only Funster

Water Tablets

Most areas in Europe have better water quality than we in UK. We in our motorhome do not drink water from the main water tank if it has been in the tank more than a few days, we carry a 8 litre separate water container that is clean out every few days. The main tank is used only for washing etc, we don't even use the water for tea from the tank. We find its much safer for our long stays in Europe. It is one way of staying away from the 'bugs'.
    Ron W

10. alf

alf Read Only Funster

Melvin
    Box of 56 Asda Little Angels Sterilising tablets 70p I bought 2 boxes and have only used a few the Elsil teatment is a better product but I still clean the fresh water tank 3 times a year with tablets.
    Regards
    Alf

11. alf

alf Read Only Funster

Roland4874
    What do you wash your Cups plates etc in fresh water from your drinking tank ??:Rofl1:
    Alf

12. Johno

Johno Read Only Funster

Most water companies in the UK have a chlorine residual of approx 0.25 parts per million going into supply and this is what comes out of your tap giving the water that swimming pool smell and taste this is so the water stays potable as it may well be in the service reservoir or pipe network for some time, so in effect the water is self disinfecting to a limited extent, so not to much extra disinfectant should be needed unless the tank or pipework is contaminated. The water companies usually only disinfect at 1 part chlorine per million which is deemed to kill most bacteria found in water so a yearly flush with any product of your choice should be enough to kill any bugs which may be hiding out of sight.

13. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I use the same chlorine powder as I use for the hot tub. I have checked the chlorine level in the past both when it was added to the tank and when it was left over night. When first added it was 5 ppm and in the morning 5 ppm. If bacteria was present then the ppm would have dropped. So other than piece of mind I doubt it does any good.

Andy

14. tinkering

tinkering Funster

water treatment

I have all ways used milton fliud just follow the instructions on the bottle:Smile:

15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Milton is dilute Sodium Hypochlorite solution - otherwise known as BLEACH. If you buy THIN bleach it is exactly the same chemical composition as Milton, just a little more concentrated. (Bleach is usually a 4-5% sodium hypochlorite solution whereas Milton is about 1-2%). And bleach is a lot cheaper!

(Note that thick Domestos-style bleaches have other additives so they are not the same).

For babies bottles etc. you might want to stick to Milton etc. to ensure you get exactly the right concentration, but for other purposes thin bleach is exactly the same and is a lot cheaper.

It goes to show how effective branding can be to persuade people to pay an awful lot more for exactly the same product..

If in any doubt, Google.. Milton COSHH safety

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  16. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

When I got her I just filled up the tank..........popped a couple of Milton tablets in (will buy bleach next time :Wink:) drew it through all the taps and left it full to the brim for 2 days, I then drove 28 miles with the tank half full then dumped the rest on the pitch.
    Filled up with clean water and I drink, make cuppa's, fill the Tassimo and bottles for the fridge and I've been fine :Smile:

Would like one of those filter tap jobies............so if anyone has a cheap one :BigGrin:

Boo

17. Terry

Terry Funster

Sorry if this is a little off topic :Rofl1::thumb:
    We have a samsung american type fridge which has a water filter built in line which is changeable --about £25 from comet/currys but you can get the same filters for about a tenner.These would be dead simple to plumb in line for the van does anybody know if they would do the same job as the Aqua pure things ?? :Wink: never bothered looking up the specs but somebody may have :thumb: could save somebody a small fortune or cause a big tummy upset :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    terry

18. ronald4874

ronald4874 Read Only Funster

Water Tank

Alf
    We use the water from the tank to wash up etc, the tank is clean enough for that, drinking at anytime from tank No'''. The water may well be contaminated by idiots that use the hoses at campsites and Aires to wash out their toilets. We have seen many so called campers push the fresh water hose into their toilets to rinse them out leaving problems for people that follow. So beware when filling your tank with a hose. I always remove the hose at the tap and fill tank by container.

Ron W

19. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

I seem to remember sometime ago that concern was raised over the use of bleach/ Sodium Hypochlorite type substances in some of the hot water/heating appliances.

I have tried searching but can't find any link so I may have been dreaming but i think the concern was over its reaction with Stainless Steel tanks.

Please ignore me as i am sure i have got it wrong:Doh: but it may be worth double checking before you start to use the purifying Milton type tablets as Jim has already said they do contain Sodium Hypochlorite

Hi, Just a UPDATE its apparantly anything that contains Chlorine as that appears to attack S/S which from what I can find the water tanks on some Truma boilers are made of S/S.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  20. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Braunston,you are right that is why people only leave it in for a few hours or overnight then give a good flush :thumb:
    terry