What is a Gypsy

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Wildman, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

From a number of threads people have fallen head over heels to argue they are not Gypsies or travellers so I thought I would just quote the following legal definition.
    In planning law Travellers are Gypsies there is no distinction. Travellers may be new age old age or any age in between again no distinction.

Gypsies are
    "Persons of nomadic habit of life whatever their race or origin, including such persons who on the grounds only of their own or their family's or dependants' educational or health needs or old age have ceased to travel temporarily or permanently but excluding members of an organised group of travelling show people or circus people travelling together as such"

"Gypsies are defined as persons of a nomadic habit of life" who travel for a purpose, normally ( but not necessarily) looking for work

Following the sun is a purpose, searching out new fishing grounds is a purpose looking for new experiences is a purpose.
    So in the eyes of the law we are all gypsies and as in any group of people there are good and bad. just because I am deemed to be a gypsy does not make me a fly tipping thief or ripoff antisocial parasite. I resent any inference that I am.
    It is time for people to get off of their high horses and accept they are gypsies, time to be proud of the fact and rejoice in it. We are lucky to be able to travel some fulltime, some part time. We are all travellers. I tinker with things on my smallholding so guess I am also a tinker.
    I think therefore I am so am also a thinker.
    I am a miserable old git as well. Call me whatever you will as long as its not late for dinner.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i couldnt have put it better. wildman we could be twins.ha ha. i live that same life . build campers on the front lawn (posh now had it tarmaced by my gypsy friends last year).spray cars vans do welding and fabricate things . most of the street take interest whats happening. could be a bus to a truck or small van. travel a lot .so i am definately like a gypsy. have fun .i do. alan.

3. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Me a gypsy - no - Just an Old Age Traveller:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

4. Wildman

In planning law Travellers are Gypsies there is no distinction. Travellers may be new age old age or any age in between again no distinction.

Itinerant then hee hee

5. lufcdave7

lufcdave7 Read Only Funster

Several years back now, a couple of gypsies (or travellers) call them what you will, called on my wifes grand parents offering to tarmac their drive, feeling confused and intimidated (both of them were very old) they agreed. When the job was done the price had increased well beyond that originally discussed and well beyond what they had or could afford. The situation got very nasty, phone calls between family had male members rushing from all over to the scene. To cut a long story short the episode caused great distress and as a result both grand parents passed away shortly after.

You seriously want me to consider myself a Itinerant because I love motorhoming.....you gotta be F------ joking!!!!!!!!!!

6. geoff587

geoff587 Read Only Funster

Gypsy is not and should not be used as a derogatory term, to do so is Racist whether intended or not

Now where did I hear that not so long ago :Wink:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

howdy lufcdave7 it says on your avatar builder is that cowboy or body builder .we have seen your type on programs on the telly .calling on old folk and fixing roofs that dont need doing . cowboy builders are very common it seems .are you into horse riding aswell ?

8. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

:BigGrin:well i dont think it will be long be four Gipsy's be come members of this forum then the fun will begin

9. Wildman

Just because I am deemed to be a gypsy does not make me a fly tipping thief or ripoff antisocial parasite.
    Sorry to hear that. BTW how much to tarmac my drive :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. Wildman

exactly it is not a derogatory term and I never used it as such. That sentiment just reinforces my point. Playing with words for fun is not derogatory most people realise that, unfortunately there are still some who don't.

11. geoff587

Jims post about Friendly Arguments and no personal attacks went down well then :Laughing:

12. Wildman

the purpose of my post was to point out not all poeple should be tarred with the same brush. Putting people in little boxes is never fair to all those involved. We might as well say no human being is to be trusted. I sought to do so in a lighthearted way. I know in the adrenaline rush that can follow reading something that you agree or dissagree with things get said that shouldn't so please guys and gals discuss not disgust. I only take it personally when you drink my banana yum yum without asking.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

13. geoff587

Are you saying using the term Itinerant is not classed as derogatory whether intended or not . (your quote to me in a previous post ) They never accepted that argument about saying Paki (in fun ) instead of Pakistani. Explain the difference for ,those of us who don,t understand .

P.S. I,m being the Devils advocate , nothing personal intended

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

geoff587, i,m sure anybody can see i was joking. it was not meant in any way derogatry and i,m sure it was accepted as a funny question. we cannot all be tarred as others have said. there are alot of programs on about builders how does the individual tell the difference?i could say you are now causing an argument .i hope you can just say comments in fun or do we just keep our nose out and not have a forum.

15. Wildman

Good point, calling a Gypsy a Itinerant is not derogatory, calling a Pakistani a Paki is not derogatory, Just as Jock, Paddy, Taffy, Limies or Yanks are not derogatory but generic through use. However calling an asian a Paki when he is not from Pakistan would be concidered derogatory. Does calling a shark a shark constitute a derogatory term, well only if the afformentioned creature was not a fish of the Shark family. I rest my case milad.
    terms are only derogatory if one makes it so. Words are words. Most of us were raised in times when the pc brigade were still a twinkle in someone eye and used many terms today thought by some to be derogatory other use them without thinking, when no offence was intended why should it be taken.

16. geoff587

I think I understand that :Confused:

17. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

Thats why the author of the bit in question is on my iggie list.

18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and just who's gonna tell Tony Santara (and others) he's a gypsy to his face ? !!!!!!!!!!:Eeek:

Tony is a truck driver.....he drives with the intention of getting his load to the final destination.....that gives him a purpose for travelling, thus, he is a pik...gypsy.:thumb:

i aint telling him....are you?:Wink:

19. lady jann

lady jann Read Only Funster

i guess we are all gypos of one type or another , riding planet earth through the universe !!!:Smile::

regards rayval,:Smile:

forever young :thumb:

20. Wildman

And that John is the very problem with trying to define people as whatever, but there you go I'll tell him, hee hee. not afraid of owt me. when will it finally sink in we are all individuals we are all different no boxes, no derogatory meanings behind general terms, legal or not as the case may be. People who live in glass houses shouldn't, hee hee:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: