What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (8 Viewers)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I thought that I had better report on my own thread again!
Yesterday we had a joint effort of replacing the silicone seal around the bench seat of the toilet. Made difficult by the curvy shape and inability to bend over or kneel in the confined space. The seal had been loose and untidy since soonnafter getting the van due of course to settling by sitting on it. One of those jobs we really put off!

Then we used the same stuff to put back the cleaned up Gas It decal around the filler. Noticed it flapping in the gale at Highlands End and retrieved it just in time.

Last job of the day, glueing back the edging strip to the step up to the cab.
This is Wildbills thread and been running for many years, do you mean your What Have You Done Today thread 👍🏻

Nov 27, 2020
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2018
At last I replaced the Hab door Reed switch having found another hobby, carving silicone sealant, surplus cable was bunched up and held to underside with a huge blob of the stuff.
New switch in place wiring soldered and shrink wrapped, and alarm now works as it should. Result

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 6, 2022
Bottesford, Scunthorpe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Today has been a fridge fan day, in an attempt to be colder I have fitted these fans and controller, powers up and fans run so will see if if was worth it on the next trip out, whilst in the mood I renewed the thermal paste on the fins as well but then found the door lock broken so new bits ordered

20230808_165856.jpg 20230808_140551.jpg 20230808_134208.jpg 20230808_140533.jpg

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Refitted the microwave that had shaken one of the mounting brackets loose on our lovely roads. Must work out an improvement to the mountings to prevent a recurrence.

Jun 6, 2022
Bottesford, Scunthorpe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Been a bit of a saga, but just for the wife aka little legs (also due a knee job) I have swapped the Thule single step for a double as she was struggling to get on the step, so first step ordered n paid for, the day after mail to say out stock here's a refund, next back on to Ebay (cheapest option) ordered step without looking to carefully and ended up with a 440 wide and not the 500, got on to supplier and explained he said pay for 500 and we will refund the 440 which they did and thanks to 48hour deliveries I'm only a day behind schedule, so new step fitted, fit in same position and same mounting even wiring was swapped over from old to new (just 4 spade connections on motor) - happy days so I thought, pressed the button and it didn't fully extend ! Mmmm do I put single back on? I put 12v to motor and out it comes and retracts but not on the button or fob, research time, first Thule nothing there, next Youtube found a bit about altering timing for step via the Sargent control panel just not my EC 325, so on to Sargent and found out the step time is controlled via the EM50, on mine the type A has a shorter time than a type C so a type C was ordered 24 hour delivery and duly fitted this morning, only a case of unplugging wiring connectors and plugging into new one - happy days again it works - I now have a single step and EM50A available :)

20230811_160500.jpg 20230817_123116.jpg 20230817_123123.jpg

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Well here we go again the clamps on the bike rack failed. So no issue will mo e the bike onto other rail and used second longer arm . Went to move the arm and the clamp snapped on that one too. So stranded on an industrial estate in Bristol ringing the bike shops and caravan dealers to see if the have spare parts .nope of course not so trip cut short head for home with bike held on with numerous ubolts, locking cables and good old bungies. Back to the local accessories shop to get the new clamp and arm . Not the same make but fits.

Now the more difficult fix that I have not started yet the waste drain pipe has detached from the drop down sink in the smallest room.

Confirmed my suspicions yesterday morning but it was not going to effect my weekend as the shower is fine and a bowl in the basin means the waste water could be poured down the shower drain.

So when the rain eases ill be heading out to the van to swear under my breath alot

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Fixed this, if it’s called a fix, but boy quite a faf. All my talk of making sure you can change a flat tyre, get the jack underneath etc, certainly paid off, as did my use of the ramps. Tyres with Halfords for investigation as it was out on its first trip and deflated in a heartbeat.

Use of the ramp, wooden blocks and 2 axle stands for safety.

IMG_9121.jpeg
IMG_9122.jpeg
IMG_9123.jpeg
IMG_9125.jpeg
IMG_9127.jpeg
IMG_9129.jpeg
IMG_9130.jpeg
IMG_9120.jpeg

Once the tyre was removed, I carried out an inspection of the inside tread area and found some defects and splits, which weren’t visible from the outside and certainly hadn’t come through the tyre tread.

IMG_9177.jpeg

IMG_9176.jpeg

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Fixed this, if it’s called a fix, but boy quite a faf. All my talk of making sure you can change a flat tyre, get the jack underneath etc, certainly paid off, as did my use of the ramps. Tyres with Halfords for investigation as it was out on its first trip and deflated in a heartbeat.

View attachment 809672View attachment 809673View attachment 809674View attachment 809675View attachment 809676View attachment 809678View attachment 809679View attachment 809680

Once the tyre was removed, I carried out an inspection of the inside tread area and found some defects and splits, which weren’t visible from the outside and certainly hadn’t come through the tyre tread.

View attachment 809681
View attachment 809682
Impressed you tackled this yourself! No way could I undertake something like this. 👏

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Habitation door failed again, luckily the other half was in the van and used the emergency pull lever. This is the third time it has failed since buying the van. The first time was in the first week of ownership. The new improved fix has failed again, its the wire which connects the solenoids to the latches. Morelo have another fix so they can make the change when we visit in November. It’s a real pain to change out with the door needing dismantled.

C20B5592-3664-46C6-9CEF-E898C81C4275.jpeg

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Got some high tensile steel chain and sleeved it put through front wheel and around suspension leg, padlock also made of really hard steel, I'm assured by chain by supplier (and he showed me) that their 5 foot bolt croppers would not cut either chain not padlock.

IMG_20230915_124334811_HDR.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

View attachment 809672View attachment 809673View attachment 809674View attachment 809675View attachment 809676View attachment 809678View attachment 809679View attachment 809680

View attachment 809681
View attachment 809682
Some years ago I had 4 new tyres fitted to my ford granada (I said it was years ago) and within a week 2 had blown spectacularly. On inspection the steel band inside the tyres had rusted before they were fitted. 4 more new tyres fitted free of charge and the faulty ones returned to the manufacturer to investigate how and why

The first I assumed was caused by debris on the road. The second failed doing 80 on the motorway, a very interesting experience that I have no wish to ever repeat

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Got some high tensile steel chain and sleeved it put through front wheel and around suspension leg, padlock also made of really hard steel, I'm assured by chain by supplier (and he showed me) that their 5 foot bolt croppers would not cut either chain not padlock.

View attachment 809720
Issue now is the availability of portable battery operated disk grinders, they will cut through almost anything, but shall also create a lot of noise. YouTube full of videos of this method being openly adopted on High Streets to steal bikes, all going unchallenged

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Fridge.

Started week before last on the IoW in the lovely hot weather, would not stay alight on gas. Had EHU on site, so just had to rely on the insulation and park in the shade when we drove out for the day.

Took the bottom vent off (it's not a Dometic vent that unclips, it's fixed to the van) but the way the fridge is installed over the wheel arch, you can't actually reach anything.

1000000684.jpg

So how did I fix it then? Simple, I left it for a week while I was working on Japan time. When I got a chance to look at it again, I switched it on to make sure it was still not working, and it was no longer not working! Stayed lit for hours!

Beginning to wonder if it was the new gas bottle; the old one ran out while parked up during a walk, and it only started failing when I switched to the new one.

Could it have been overfilled? I'm using a Campingaz equivalent, Leisuregaz 007, bought through a proper supplier.

Anyway, will see what happens when we next go out, otherwise will take it back to Leisuredrive and get them to explain how you access the burner and flue.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

View attachment 809681
View attachment 809682

That’s worrying as they are good tyres and they would/will be my next ones. Hard to prove it was like it before it was put on….
I’m lucky enough that my choice of tyre fitter lets me hang around chatting while he fits so I can sneakily inspect the tyres..

Hope you get it sorted as there not cheep…👍🏼

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Issue now is the availability of portable battery operated disk grinders, they will cut through almost anything, but shall also create a lot of noise. YouTube full of videos of this method being openly adopted on High Streets to steal bikes, all going unchallenged
Yes, I know about the portable grinders, it does concern me, I also 6 outside cameras around our small 2 bed bungalow, also steering lock, not infallible, but better than nothing I think, my 12 bore shotgun I have given to my son I don't know whether now that was a wise move !!we'll see

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
That’s worrying as they are good tyres and they would/will be my next ones. Hard to prove it was like it before it was put on….
I’m lucky enough that my choice of tyre fitter lets me hang around chatting while he fits so I can sneakily inspect the tyres..

Hope you get it sorted as there not cheep…👍🏼
Had the tyre replaced and no issues with that one or the other 3. Looking at the picture it’s literally smothered in their tyre fitting gunk, which surprised me. I know it wasn’t low pressure as I had checked all 4 tyres before leaving Seahouses, Northumberland, the day before. The tyre deflated in an instant, while I was pulling out of a carpark, so no speed at all. I did toy with the idea that an amount of side yaw could have allowed the beading to slip and hence instant deflate 🤷🏼‍♂️. Of course the beading should have stayed on the wheel, not completely slid off like that, hence my train of thought on it.

It wasn’t until after I removed the wheel that I found the chunk missing from the tread, but again, it could have been severed off by the wheel and the way it failed on the beaded area. The internal splits were unusual and obviously shouldn’t have been there, but weren’t caused by any intrusion from the tread.

I guess I’ll have to wait for the results from Halfords, as they had said they would be carrying out tests on the tyre, to try and gauge why it failed and then refund me the cost of a new tyre.

Still love the tyres and would still have them fitted again, plus looking forward to hopefully many more miles and smiles with them on 👍🏻

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Had the tyre replaced and no issues with that one or the other 3. Looking at the picture it’s literally smothered in their tyre fitting gunk, which surprised me. I know it wasn’t low pressure as I had checked all 4 tyres before leaving Seahouses, Northumberland, the day before. The tyre deflated in an instant, while I was pulling out of a carpark, so no speed at all. I did toy with the idea that an amount of side yaw could have allowed the beading to slip and hence instant deflate 🤷🏼‍♂️. Of course the beading should have stayed on the wheel, not completely slid off like that, hence my train of thought on it.

It wasn’t until after I removed the wheel that I found the chunk missing from the tread, but again, it could have been severed off by the wheel and the way it failed on the beaded area. The internal splits were unusual and obviously shouldn’t have been there, but weren’t caused by any intrusion from the tread.

I guess I’ll have to wait for the results from Halfords, as they had said they would be carrying out tests on the tyre, to try and gauge why it failed and then refund me the cost of a new tyre.

Still love the tyres and would still have them fitted again, plus looking forward to hopefully many more miles and smiles with them on 👍🏻
As soon as I read your first post on this, I thought that tyre had never popped onto the bead in the first place. A slow manoeuvre has open the gap between tyre and wheel, immediate flat

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Well today after a long Tim siting on the drive I started the old camper
First piston up she came back to life I then disconnected the battery,s.
And set about sorting out the bits tha need welded
Was chasing a bit of rust but getting thar taken out the rust back to good Steell and replaced with new steel.
Was expecting a lot worse than I found expecting rotten cills but no boath in good order.
Bit of rusted out on lower wheel arch.
All patch up now just got to do the step
This was covered by rubber mat so only picked up on it today
Not grate welding old steel but nothing the grinder and black stuff won’t cover.
It’s had a good few thwacks with a hamer it going nowhere.
We want the camper back on the road for the winter.
Going to have to pop the engine and gearbox out
To sort out third gear it keeps jumping out will have a look at the one I have in the garage
Strip it down and see what’s wrong with it
Abut two weeks work I think to get it through the mot.
I done lots of work before the last MOT and not a lot of mls put in
I think one of the brake callipers is stoking on will have to take then off and have a look at them.
Two new cv boots brake pipes at all new put almost 10 m of new pipes last year
Bit of a brake from the boat till it gets out the water
Wildbill

IMG_0139.jpeg
IMG_0142.jpeg
IMG_0141.jpeg

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Stripped a couple of flyscreen blinds and put 2.4mm strimmer wire in to replace the std 2.0mm nylon wire that keeps pulling out if the fixing channel. Also fitted a new hob piezo switch. Went for the £2 eBay version rather than the £25 dometic switch. Lost the picture of a flame on the switch but I'll get over it

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Fitted new kitchen towel roll holder, so now it doesn’t unwrap itself into the kitchen sink and some AAA battery lights under some of the units. Brought a roll of insulation that I’ll be putting on the inside of the outer wall, under the fixed bed, but first it’s mot time this Thursday 👍🏻

Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
After two weeks of sitting on the drive after a three week tour of France I had no windscreen washers. Bottle empty. Very odd as I keep it topped up. Filled.

Tried it. No washers. Bonnet up. ah ...

IMG_20231001_132101861_HDR.jpg

Off to Halfords. Only pipe they have is 4mm clear plastic.

Order 8mm black silicone from Bezos.

Cut out that bit and replace.

No washers.

Another load of holes just down by the pump. Replace longer section. Success.

Mice? Abrasion?

IMG_20231002_143654199_HDR~2.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back