What have you done to your motorhome today? (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Can I put extension connectors to these, difficult to reach hab batteries, and put a normal blue EHU plug on these connectors and my Solar panel and connect the two when I need to?
It is fine to add extension leads, but DO NOT use a blue EHU plug/socket for this - someone might inadvertently connect it to 230 volt supply.

Use something like Anderson Connectors, which are readily available.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It is fine to add extension leads, but DO NOT use a blue EHU plug/socket for this - someone might inadvertently connect it to 230 volt supply.

Use something like Anderson Connectors, which are readily available.
As I am the only one in the vehicle, I doubt if that would happen but...... perhaps you are right?
The only reason I was contemplating it was so that I could have an easy waterproof connection on the side of the van.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
Because we couldn't go on our planned trip today, we decided to take him to the weighbridge. Mostly to give him a run and get everything moving but also because a while ago we weighed him and we were over. So, we had a big clear out of stuff we don't need and were pretty certain we must be under weight, with room to spare. Imagine our horror when the figutres showed 3500kg !!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Honestly, there was me and hubby (ok, we're over weight but we're definitely not obese), our 6.2kg dog, cutlery, crockery, some lightweight bedding, toiletries, maybe 1/3 tank fuel, around 40 litres water, 2 fold up chairs and a table and a small amount of cleaning products in a small bucket. We had no clothes, no laptops, no food....nothing else. I'm amazed. I know we could travel without the water but that would only give us 40kg to play with. We were so astounded, we went to another weighbridge.....but it was exactly the same.....spot on 3500kg. I don't know what to do. How can we possibly anticipate a long journey?
You live in France, it's French registered. Surely it's 3.5t no matter how much stuff you put in? I'm sure that's the way it works over there :unsure::rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Emptied the clothes out of the wardrobes

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I got mine mot'd today, just one advisory, will need the exhaust looking at before the next one.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Spared it the indignity of my foul stomach after a dodgy lasagne yesterday and went to the marina toilet

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Realistically it's highly unlikely that any 7.3M van will run at 3500Kg. It's borderline for my 6.4m Compactline.

How do people manage with them then? We're looking at having the TV and dish removed, which we don't use. And also the rear 3 bike carrier and the scooter ramp in the garage, as we don't use those, either. We may even need to remove the incredibly heavy table and replace it with a lighter option. After that, we've run out of things to remove!!

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
How do people manage with them then? We're looking at having the TV and dish removed, which we don't use. And also the rear 3 bike carrier and the scooter ramp in the garage, as we don't use those, either. We may even need to remove the incredibly heavy table and replace it with a lighter option. After that, we've run out of things to remove!!
They probably don't and rely on not being pulled over to check that they are under 3500Kg. As time progresses, fewer and fewer will have the automatic C1 on their licence and will face a dilemma if wanting to up-plate.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Don't carry unnecessary stiff. I've been feeling smug lately at how few wasted unworn clothes there are on my house wardrobes. Emptied the clothes cupboards of van yesterday. Not so smug now :eek:

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
They probably don't and rely on not being pulled over to check that they are under 3500Kg. As time progresses, fewer and fewer will have the automatic C1 on their licence and will face a dilemma if wanting to up-plate.

We looked into getting ours up-plated but were told, via a dealer, that our particular model couldn't be. We both have C1 and it would have been great. I think we're going to look into contacting the manufacturer direct, to see if we've been told the truth! :)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
My parents van was 7.5 mtrs and was never overlosded when fully packed with full tanks when just 2 of them.

It was never weighed when driven to campsite for grandchildren to borrow (not insured to drive it) 2 adults 2 kids and all the stuff that goes with them and of course they filled the car , well both of them as 1 van driven by insured person . The family car that was staying on site and then the 3rd car to collect the insured driver
It was like mini.pickfords

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
We looked into getting ours up-plated but were told, via a dealer, that our particular model couldn't be. We both have C1 and it would have been great. I think we're going to look into contacting the manufacturer direct, to see if we've been told the truth! :)

Might be an idea to complete the enquiry form at VWE to find that out. At least youā€™ll get an unbiased answer and know if itā€™s possible/worthwhile/cost effective before making any alterations to the van.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Might be an idea to complete the enquiry form at VWE to find that out. At least youā€™ll get an unbiased answer and know if itā€™s possible/worthwhile/cost effective before making any alterations to the van.

They won't be able to help, as I live in France, but thank you, anyway :)

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
They won't be able to help, as I live in France, but thank you, anyway :)

Ah, the Union Flag on your avatar didnā€™t help me there then!

Seriously though, it might be worthwhile contacting Dee at VWE for an opinion as to whether it would be possible, irrespective of were the vehicle is registered. I suspect it would give you an answer a lot faster than going to a manufacturer, even if a small charge is made.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Ah, the Union Flag on your avatar didnā€™t help me there then!

Seriously though, it might be worthwhile contacting Dee at VWE for an opinion as to whether it would be possible, irrespective of were the vehicle is registered. I suspect it would give you an answer a lot faster than going to a manufacturer, even if a small charge is made.

I guess the avatar is showing that because I'm in England right now. Sorreeeee :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll contact them and see if they can help :)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Iā€™ve replaced two 110ah AGM leisure batteries, installed an Eco-worthy 100 ah lithium battery, a Victron 30 amp charger, a 12 way bladed fuse holder, a Bluetooth dongle to my Victron 75/15 solar controller,to my VW T6.1 van.
John.
IMG_1229.jpeg
IMG_1214.jpeg
IMG_1221.jpeg

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Iā€™ve replaced two 110ah AGM leisure batteries, installed an Eco-worthy 100 ah lithium battery, a Victron 30 amp charger, a 12 way bladed fuse holder, a Bluetooth dongle to my Victron 75/15 solar controller,to my VW T6.1 van.
John.View attachment 821512View attachment 821513View attachment 821514
Do you have a device for keeping the engine battery topped up? I have the CBE version of a battery master this requires the device to see over 13.6v at the leisure battery before it will start to charge the engine battery so the storage voltage of 13.5v on the lithium setting (13.2v on normal) would not trigger it, so I had to use advanced settings and choose user defined to set the storage voltage above 13.6v. If you have the Vanbitz battery master this won't apply as that works on voltage differential not voltage level.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Do you have a device for keeping the engine battery topped up? I have the CBE version of a battery master this requires the device to see over 13.6v at the leisure battery before it will start to charge the engine battery so the storage voltage of 13.5v on the lithium setting (13.2v on normal) would not trigger it, so I had to use advanced settings and choose user defined to set the storage voltage above 13.6v. If you have the Vanbitz battery master this won't apply as that works on voltage differential not voltage level.
Yes Chris I have the CBE unit I will have to check it to see if thereā€™s any problems with it and thank you for mentioning it.

John.

Aug 24, 2022
South Killingholme, Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Gleneagle
Exp
I'm a newbie had a wobbly box when adam was a lad
I have been caravanning for over 40 years, lost count of how many vans I bought in that time, so I can't believe I fell for this any ways when we went to look at the Gleneagle we bought there were no carpets assumed they had taken them out to keep them clean WRONG never had them :eek: so off to Dean Wray Carpets & Vinyls they do wiping in Brigg Lincolnshire had a look round they had a remnant the right size made a set of templates out of old wallpaper as you do pick 'em up next Friday toasty feet Ā£160 :Grin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back