What Do you Guys Think?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wizzer59, Mar 2, 2011.

1. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

We've been saving for our first Motorhome for ages and to this end will be hoping to see this one (ebay no 280636279719) at the weekend, if its still available.

What do you guys think of it? ya or nay:thumb:

Tim

2. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

The `Magnum` part of the description could mean it is one of Ken Carters conversions, it certainly looks like one of his, and he is still in business here.....
    http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/

Looks like the present owner has loved it. I would be having a good look at the chassis/cab part of the rig very closely as early Transits weren`t the most rust free vehicles out there. Just do the normal checks and take an expert if you have one available. :BigGrin:

3. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Q: hi ihave a smaller camper van would you be interested in px cheers mark
    A: Hi Mark I am looking for a MERCEDES VITO TRAVELINER but send me some information and pictures regarding camper and i will run it past the wife (I am the BOSS just don’t tell her)

one of the questions asked and makes me suspicious, is he a backs street trader?

looks a nice van, but?

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Haggars is right to be suspicious, better to be aware when viewing ..

However, on the face of it it looks like a decent van for not a lot of money ..

Take a friend, preferably someone who is in the motor trade or knows about motorhomes or cars.

All the usual checks as if you were buying a car: tyres, exhaust, brakes, gearbox, engine, steering, lights, indicators, etc and corrosion

HPI check, inspect the V5 and check if it is registered to the seller...

Test drive, not just around the block, get it out on a variety of roads including main roads with a 70mph limit..

I would ask for a new MOT .. If the seller is reticent be suspicious. June is not far away !

Habitation.

*Check that all appliances work, insist on this.

*Check for DAMP .. poke your nose into every cupboard, look around windows and roof lights, look for tell tale 'tide marks' be suspicious of air freshener smell... often used to mask the smell of mildew and damp. If there are any signs or unusual smells walk away.. damp kills motorhomes and is prohibitively expensive to put right, there are plenty of others on the market.

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi just take notice of what everyone is saying :thumb: Give it a good inspection and make sure EVERYTHING works :thumb: THIS WILL NEED AN HOUR OR MORE( buy a small temp gauge to throw in the fridge)Mechanical side of things the engines are bullet proof but loud- gearbox not so :thumb:CHECK where it mounts rear suspension to chassis :Eeek:Expect more like 25 mpg
    terry
    Fogot to say starting at 7500 this is the most I would offer

Attached Files:

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Looks a lot of MH for the money. Good layout. RWD which is good.

So is it a bargain or scam ?

PS Selling feedback goes back to 2003. Lots of buying too. I'd think that is the sign of a genuine user.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  7. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Nice looking van but a number of concerns.
    1) why a non date numberplate
    2) replaced panels and respray along with internal refit would make me wonder if it had been an insurance write off.
    3) The carver fire is now obsolete, finding parts a nightmare and expencive.
    Having said all that with an HPI check and new MOT it would be a good buy. Excellent layout.

8. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

If I had the ca$h would consider it myself.

Do all the usual checks and its a good buy at this price.

9. haganap

Or the sign of a trader

10. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Seems awfully cheap - bearing in mind I have seen some awful examples go for double figures.

Damp meter would be a wise investment, have a really good look around. Transits have bulletproof engines, but they are not exactly powerful (not that many motorhomes are!) but transits are plodders! I would take a magnet for filler too - these things rust like fury - check chassis, doorsteps, front arches, a pillars etc.

Check roof skylights....old sealer on joins/skylight is a good indication of how a vehicle has been maintained! Old crusty stuff, would show someone doing a job when it breaks or causes a problem...and in skylights, that will always be way too late. Nice fresh flexible seals will show the owner pro-actively maintains his vehicle - match that with good meter readings inside (particularly corners) and you should be onto a sound van. Lots of damp would suggest they left it too late and are trying to get rid before it shows! Look for painted roof panel inside too!

11. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I know he should say trader but I was a trader and mainly sold good stuff.

12. haganap

im talking about the back street trader, The type whom can work wonders with a tin of filler a can of spray paint and then talk his way through any inspection.
    I find it odd that he describes needing money as his reasons for sale, yet offered a PX is willing to negotiate.

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Some traders love to pretend to be private sellers, all that sale of goods legislation just passes them by

14. Addie

Addie Deleted User

It seems a lot of money on the face of it, my concern when looking at old motorhomes is "if that was a van, it would be worth £500". The fact it has some panels strapped to the back of it suddenly it's worth another £10k!

If you are looking for a bargin / cheap camper you need to act fast. Generally the bargins are to be had from November/Feb and a lot of cheap vans are available from Kiwi/Auzzies returning from Europe and having a matter of days or weeks to sell their vans.

My preference for an older van would always for for a LHD continental make. The Europeans were streets ahead of us in terms of motorhome design and build quality and lots of campers were imported in the early 90's when import tax was abolished as we joined the EU. Hymer, Eura Mobil, Dethleffs etc

I know someone who purchased this for £5k:
    [​IMG]

1992 Fiat Hymer Camp (4 berth). 1.9ltr Diesel. Current MOT and Tax. 105,000 miles the on clock with full Service History. She is a small wheel base and can park in single car parks. It has been well designed with plenty of storage and no issues of comfort. Features include: Toilet, shower, heater, permanent double bed above driving cabin, roll out awning, kitchenette, dining area (converts into another double bed), attachable tent, bike rack, roof storage box, thermal window covers Also includes everything needed to go: Power cords and plugs for mains electricity, pots and pans, cutlery. £5,200

There are some other examples on my buying guide:
    http://www.europebycamper.com/p/buyers-guide.html

15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Private sale: Advice Guide

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/buying_second_hand_vehicles.htm

Extracts.. see link for full text :

You bought the vehicle from a private seller

You have very few legal rights if you have bought the vehicle from a private seller rather than a dealer.

The vehicle doesn't have to be of satisfactory quality. However, if the seller offers a description of the vehicle, it must match the description given. It must also be roadworthy and the seller must have 'good title' to the vehicle. This means that they must be the legal owner in order to sell it to you.

If the vehicle doesn't match the description given, you may be entitled to compensation. You may also be entitled to compensation if you have bought an unroadworthy car from a private seller, which has caused injury to someone. However, it may be especially difficult to get compensation from a private seller.

You will only be able to claim against a private seller for one of the following reasons:

* the vehicle doesn't match the description they gave you
    * the seller broke a specific contract term
    * the seller was actually a dealer posing as a private seller
    * the seller did not have good title to the vehicle
    * the vehicle is unroadworthy.

The seller was a dealer posing as a private seller

Dealers sometimes pretend to be private sellers, by using the small ads and a private address and telephone number.[HI] It is an unfair commercial practice and a criminal offence to do this. [/HI]If you suspect that the person who sold the vehicle was a dealer posing as a private seller, you should report the dealer to Consumer Direct on 0845 404 0506, or visit (New window) www.consumerdirect.gov.uk. In Northern Ireland, phone Consumerline on 0845 600 6262, or visit (New window) www.consumerline.org.

If the seller was a dealer it does not mean that you can cancel the sale. But it does mean that you have the same legal protection as when you buy from a dealer. You may be able to take legal action against them if there are problems with the vehicle that can't be sorted out.

16. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

The same story as with any sale, buyer beware. TBH finding a filler-free van and damp-free van of that age is going to be a gamble. They are getting older now, and you have to expect higher maintenance costs, and more work/effort will be needed.

I remember being at a main dealer looking around some of the vans, and seeing an elderly couple look round a seriously tired Sherpa Highwayman. Every ounce of me wanted to tell him to walk away from it and not waste his 15k. But I kept my nose out and felt guilty ever since! So guilty I ended up starting the project I am working on now. Please, look carefully, take Jim's guide with you and use it!

£20 Damp meter will save you a world of hurt - research, ask and be fussy - especially with older vehicles!

17. Terry

Terry Funster

This van had a refurbishment 8 / 9 yrs ago and still looks good in the pics :thumb:(My own van was finished almost 5 yrs ago and still looks like it was done 6 mths ago :thumb:) It looks a quality job with not a lot of miles :thumb:My only thing I would be worried about is the trannys built in rot :Eeek: Go for it if everything checks out :BigGrin: but also be prepared to walk especially if the back Axel mountings are ifffy
    terry

18. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi Tim,

Yes it looks a nice van but it is now NINETEEN years old, no one has bid on it. Basic tranny van that age is worth zilch.

Frankly its about £7ks worth as a retail buy in my view also strange that he says he has not time to use it but is looking for another one!

Peter

19. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Thanks for all your replys guys:thumb:, Im not in love with it so will have an open mind and we will see how it goes, I will let you all know when we get back:Smile:

Tim

20. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Just had a look and it looks like its gone anyway:cry: so will keep on looking:BigGrin:

Tim