what did you fix today (1 Viewer)

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Leaky shower. The plastic of the shower drain had cracked with age and water was running between wood floor and van metal floor.

Was a access hole under the floor that I thought drain would come out from hole too small so our the tray comes. Concorde made it easy to remove with clever design .
IMG_20180501_185426.jpg

Going away for weekend to france so hopefully replacement drain arrives so I can refit ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Not fixed but f----d up my engine . Garage told me it could be my head casket. Or may be even more. think I need help. So HELP. Otherwise I will not be going any where this year. All right don't all cheer.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
No @Minxy Girl, like a lot of men I can be a bit cavalier, even juvenile, when it comes to illness but I wouldn't ignore investigating a serious illness, no matter how much the travel bug had me by the throat.

Thanks, we will both most definitely enjoy, the need to get the wheels rolling is overwhelming right now.

Hymie
Enjoy the trip, sounds like you've earned it!
I had to go through MRI, biopsy, etc last year for all the bad reasons!!
Thankfully all clear now and looking forward to catching up with France again in June.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Not fixed but f----d up my engine . Garage told me it could be my head casket. Or may be even more. think I need help. So HELP. Otherwise I will not be going any where this year. All right don't all cheer.
what are the symptoms Mike?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... So HELP. Otherwise I will not be going any where this year. All right don't all cheer.
:clap2:;):imoutahere:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hope you get it sorted Mike

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Yesterday really, so cheating somewhat, fitted my tyrepal bought from Grommet's post, thanks @Grommit , although I was not best please when fitting them, took me 3 flipping hours for a 30 minute job.

I've got tiny all-metal valves on my rims, trying to get the rubber boot out of the way to fit the locking nut and sensor was a blooming nightmare, then, after following the 'ikea' fitting diagram I turned the page to find out I had to take all the sensors off again to get them to register, more fun with the rubber boots.

After all this the front left refused to register, it showed ok but no pressure reading, after several attempts I removed the battery in the sensor and bingo, all wheels now showing.

Then, to finish off the excitement I had to enlarged all the valve cutouts on the wheel trims as they were pressing on the valves. Not my best afternoon but at least I got it finished before the weather went pants again.

I then went in to the bathroom to remove the shower door, at 6' 2" & 17 stone (all muscle you understand) itsi like an upright coffin for me so decided to remove the door and fit a rail and curtain to give some elbow room.

It took a bit of time to understand how to remove the door, but once I cracked that it was a simple job, clever buggers these Germans, although at one point while kneeling on the floor inside with the door closed I seriously thought the fire brigade might be need for an extraction.

Fitted the rail, the boss broke out the shower curtain only to find that IKEA don't supply the hooks, so dropping Harriet at Les Bateman this morning to get rid of the awful noise, not sure if turbo or gbox but makes driving so uncomfortable, then off to IKEA and then home to fret over what the noise removal is gonna cost.

It might cost an arm or a leg, but whichever, I'm sure she won't miss it too much after a while. :rofl::rofl:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Oh no, that's not good news Mike .. I hope it's not too serious and can be fixed quickly.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
It is over heating . Losing water . And it seems to be going into the engine. @TheBig1. And thanks @scousebird will do my best. And to you @Minxy Girl. I will be back. LOL(y)
I know a good few contacts to Talbot part let me know and I will put in tuch
Bill

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Thank you Brian and John Will do my best. Might have to miss a couple of meets . But will know more by the weekend.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
assuming no cracks or leaks on the 28 year old pipework or radiator, then head gasket is most likely Mike. all fixable of course including re-coring the radiator

as you know rubber rots over the years, so it would be advisable to renew the hoses whilst the coolant system is drained. will save later hassle

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Thanks for that John .My son is going to do some pressure tests . And a leak test on it over the weekend.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
All part of the fun of running an older vehicle.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Fitted a blue flashing LED in the back panel to act as an alarm armed indicator as a deterrent to complement the alarm LED in the front screen pillar and wired it into the hab 12 volt system.
Now this where the British built vans have one over on the continentals as I don't need any switching because when the engine is not running the LED is powered and flashing and because the British built vans switch the hab 12 volt system off when the engines running the LED switches off as well. (y)

LED.jpg

Also fitted a set of front mud flaps to hopefully cut down the amount of crud that gets chucked up from the front tyres.

mudflaps.jpg

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Thanks John . Not yet but it goes in tomorrow . I hope to have it back to go to the Thetford bash. If not will let you know. And thanks for asking.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Do hope you get to thetford Mike. hopefully a simple new gasket will get the old girl sorted. no not Rose, the van

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
My 650cc Kawasaki twin blanked off the air suction valves, not took her out for a run yet but she did sound much better on tick over, will give her a run tomorrow

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Replaced two non working fleaxable solar panels for one rigid ....

150watts down to 100watts. Never buying flexables again and manafacturer not that helpful. This set lasted 18 months. Better than the 13 months for the first one...
... I need a cold fridge (compressor 12 volt only )for my beer and I suppose more importantly (I suppose) my insulin ...
IMG_20180603_203532.jpg

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Been waiting months for the replacement shower mixer tap to arrive (apparently there's been a backlog of hundreds after the severe freeze we had).

Couldn't match the black nickel so switched to chrome and replaced the hose, riser, brackets and showerhead:)

Also fixed the intermittent fault on the fridge:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back