LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I have just bought a secondhand Rapido A Class.
I want to give it the full treatment using my da, I do my car and friends

Just like to know what I should buy for polishing then I can get some Col 476 on her.

Ta

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Have a read of the detailing section, loads of good info there from Charlie and others

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As suggested Charlie is your man for product advice but just remember that the Rapido will be fibreglass sides as well as the front and rear mouldings in fibreglass I think so keep the surface cool, best to check on the materials of construction tough so that Charlie can advise properly.

Martin

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Be mindful that when using a DA you can stall the disc and end up making a right mess on GRP.

You need to be really clear in your own mind about what you are trying to achieve when polishing GRP as that informs you as to the method and consumables you need to use.

If you are just looking to just tweak the surface to increase UV protection and add shine then you need very light cut compound verging on a glaze. I would use a foam pad on my forced rotation DA but know plenty who would use a lambswool pad on a rotary.

If you have oxidisation of the gelcoat and need to remove that first then you are possibly looking at a heavier cut compound or multiple passes. To get the best finish you need to work your way through the compound grades and make sure you buff out each time. Bad oxidisation would normally mean I put a sheepswool pad on a rotary polisher for the first pass but I would be gobsmacked if you need to go that far.

Gelcoat is pretty stable to work with but if you overheat it you will end up with a brown burn mark that can only be fixed by grinding out the gel and reapplying a new surface.

I am sure you know there is no lacquer over gelcoats (except in certain circumstances) so everything you do is eating away at what is effectively the GRP's protective coating so dont get carried away.
Gelcoats hate UV light and quickly start to yellow when subjected to it, so while I understand the desire to use Collinite 476 as it does give a good depth of shine, I use a high quality marine wax instead to protect our motorhome as it focuses on giving outstanding UV protection rather than outstanding shine.

As with all machine polishing, always carry out some test patches starting with the lightest cut and softest pads and work up from there.

The following photo is of a 13 year old boat I just finished machine polishing at the weekend. I started with Farecla G10 and finished with 3M Perfect it III, both applied using foam pads on my Flex XC 3401 forced rotation polisher.

I don't want to teach you to suck eggs but there are different types of gelcoat. The boat in the photo has a Vinylester gelcoat which is significantly harder than polyester. Be mindful that if your motorhome has polyester gelcoat you cannot work it as hard and need to stay well away from heavy cutting compounds unless you are absolutely sure it is the only way of returning a good finish.

Also be mindful that GRP sandwich wall boards rarely have perfectly flat surfaces so it is almost impossible to get a good clear reflection but it is possible to get a good flat surface which will look really good when waxed.

IMG_4051.JPG

In summary...

Use your experience of polishing paint and utilise the same tricks, stay on the side of caution, use the lightest compound possible, don't work the polisher over one area for too long and make sure you take loads of pictures and post them here so we can all admire your hard work... (y)

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@cornish boy thanks for that

I always use hex pads never even used any other type of pad as I'm happy with hex.

I always spritz then go to a light cut first. Im not heavy handed either as i don't like to drive the pads into the surface.

Is there any particular make of product you would recommend for grp. There is some oxidisation but its not horrendous.

Can you recommend a good marine wax as well, i was looking at the 476 for its longevity but happy to go with your suggestion.

Yes looked down the side panels and flat isn't a word you would use.

Im not too fussed about a deep shine, I'm just looking to brighten her up and protect the surface.

Thanks R

Ohh and lovely work on the boat as well (y)

Edit Just looked and coll do a marine wax no 885 have you used this I do prefer a paste

Edit 2 should have said i have been using Scholl but happy to try others

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
@richr
For light oxidisation my preference would be 3M Finesse It III.

I have used Collinite Fleet Wax in the past but currently my 'go to' marine wax is 3M Marine Ultra Performance Paste Wax.
I also use 3M Scotchguard Marine Protective Liquid Wax on high run-off areas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back