What are these marks? (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2020
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
A few weeks ago I returned home in my motorhome and notices that some of the rear and passenger side had gotten really dirty on the way home. The next day I gave it a quick sponge down and noticed that a lot of the dirty marks left like a 'shadow' on the panels. These would not come off with regular cleaning. They almost seemed part of the paint work. I used a little Autoglym Tar Remover and had to serious agitate the marks to get the off even with that. Are these tar marks? Is there something better I could use? I can't remember going past road works but unsure. The front and drivers side panel escaped fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

IMG20230412191604.jpg IMG20230412191528.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Hi
Try one those magic sponges slightly damp
Your be surprised how good they at removing stains , you can get from places like BM OR POUND SHOP ETC ,
worth a try they are so cheap,
Good luck .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
A few weeks ago I returned home in my motorhome and notices that some of the rear and passenger side had gotten really dirty on the way home. The next day I gave it a quick sponge down and noticed that a lot of the dirty marks left like a 'shadow' on the panels. These would not come off with regular cleaning. They almost seemed part of the paint work. I used a little Autoglym Tar Remover and had to serious agitate the marks to get the off even with that. Are these tar marks? Is there something better I could use? I can't remember going past road works but unsure. The front and drivers side panel escaped fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

View attachment 771670 View attachment 771678
You haven’t got a diesel leak have you?

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
If it is lichen alcohol should remove it. Try meths first, soak an leave a minute or two. If meths doesn’t work try some rubbing alcohol from a pharmacy.

OP
OP
Orca Brody
Aug 26, 2020
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Looks very much like lichen, how you get rid of it I don’t know.
Thanks David. I'm not sure it's linchen. I had that on a caravan roof years ago and it was a slow developing thing. I cleaned the motorhome before I left, it was clean when I left my pitch and the rear and side were filthy 2 hours later when I arrived home. When I washed the marks, it's like the top layers washed off but these marked remained. In fact even getting the top layers off required a harder scrub than what I was expecting.
You haven’t got a diesel leak have you?
Not as far as I know. The exhaust is on the other side and I can always see it when driving.
If it is lichen alcohol should remove it. Try meths first, soak an leave a minute or two. If meths doesn’t work try some rubbing alcohol from a pharmacy.
I'll try your suggestions on whatever this may be. Thanks,

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi
Try one those magic sponges slightly damp
Your be surprised how good they at removing stains , you can get from places like BM OR POUND SHOP ETC ,
worth a try they are so cheap,
Good luck .
I wouldn't use magic sponges on vehicles (they are abrasive) or if I did, I would do a very small area first and check the outcome under different light conditions and when dry.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Have a quick check under the engine to make sure it’s not developed a leak just to be on the safe side 👍

OP
OP
Orca Brody
Aug 26, 2020
Fife, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Thanks for our your input. It's a bit of a mystery. Like I said, the motorhome was badly marked on one side and part of the upper rear. Like I had gone through something. Could have been roadworks, no idea. It looked like regular mud until I started to clean it and I could instantly tell it was something more. The Tar Remover shifts it with a bit of work but I was hoping someone would recognise it and have a proven method.

Sue and Rick

Free Member
Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
I had similar marks but lower down. Right next to where we had been doing some bacon on the grille. Pig to get off. Only noticed when we got home from France

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Traffic film. Basically diesel soot and dirt from other vehicles. It embeds into the wax on the van and can be a sod to get off. Clearly traffic film remover works but can be damaging to paintwork plastic windows and stickers. If you do use a tfr based product clean immediately after with copious amounts of water.

TFR was developed to clean lorries and trailers

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
I wouldn't use magic sponges on vehicles (they are abrasive) or if I did, I would do a very small area first and check the outcome under different light conditions and when dry.
The magic sponge I’ve used wasn’t abrasive,
My Daugher caught the her wing mirror on gate post, I tried polishing out as it marked it with black grazing from post ,then I used the magic sponge but slightly damped rub quite hard and it removed it completely ( her car is white with matching white coloured paint wing mirror )
No marks what so ever,
Try a small area first.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The magic sponge I’ve used wasn’t abrasive,
My Daugher caught the her wing mirror on gate post, I tried polishing out as it marked it with black grazing from post ,then I used the magic sponge but slightly damped rub quite hard and it removed it completely ( her car is white with matching white coloured paint wing mirror )
No marks what so ever,
Try a small area first.
They are very slightly abrasive (similar to 3000 - 6000 grit sand paper) ... That is how they work... I've used them for years when decorating etc but would highly recommend testing the surface first

For further reading

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back