What are the point of sidelights?? (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Sunny Shropshire is decidedly foggy today and apart from some idiots with no lights at all on their vehicles, a good 50% are driving on sidelights.

They are next to useless in these conditions. Are they trying to save electricity by not using dipped headlights??

So it got me thinking - in just what circumstances would the use of sidelights be ideal?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Sunny Shropshire is decidedly foggy today and apart from some idiots with no lights at all on their vehicles, a good 50% are driving on sidelights.

They are next to useless in these conditions. Are they trying to save electricity by not using dipped headlights??

So it got me thinking - in just what circumstances would the use of sidelights be ideal?

Is this of any use ? :

http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/automatic-lights

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am regularly bemused by those that recognise the 'need' for lights, then turn on 1W sidelights and then often only have one of them working o_O

then the ones with side lights on the front and high intensity on the rear o_O who then have them on for the next few days probably wondering why people are flashing them

We have long since thought hi intensity lights front and back should in turn come with an in built speed restrictor, that would stop the rear fog lights flying down the motorway at 90mph

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
I dont think I've ever knowingly used mine whilst driving, very occasionally whilst parked

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Town driving where headlamps aren't needed.
Except in Scarborough where every other street light has an 11w curly-wurly low energy bulb.

In lit areas side lights only are permitted.
In adverse weather dip beam should be used.

Although legally you can just use your sidelights at night so long as you’re driving under 30mph in a well-lit area, most people opt for dipped headlights instead - they do a much better job at lighting up the road ahead.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
At 11pm one evening in March I went to pull onto the A7 at Ricmar, just east of Marbella. This necessitated a 90deg turn onto the dual carriageway, so I was stationary and proceeded slowly after looking to my left. Suddenly there was a blaring of horns and two cars hurtled past, neither with any lights showing. I was informed the next day that if the carriageway is illuminated, you don't need any lights xroll:.

I hate sidelight drivers more than I hate "no light" drivers: at least you can flash those and hope to see rear lamps light up :xdoh:.

Gordon

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Not half as annoying as the half wits that use rear fog lights when they are not required. How do they manage to have the brain power to turn them on but not know how to turn them off. As far as I am aware the requirement for using them is visibility below 100 feet. Try riding behind these idiots on a motorcycle with a wet visor.

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
i drive with mine on everytime in daylight, as i cant read the dash without but switch to headlights in low light. some cars the dash is lit up so the idiots dont even switch their lights on.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I use my sidelights whenever it's dull but not dark which is when those with DRLs should be putting them on too.

DRLs are the devil's work, for me. Far too bright for most situations, and normally delay the driver putting on their headlights till well after dark.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Town driving where headlamps aren't needed.
Except in Scarborough where every other street light has an 11w curly-wurly low energy bulb.

In lit areas side lights only are permitted.
In adverse weather dip beam should be used.
It may be legal, but dark mornings and evenings, more pedestrians, and school children are about. Any driving on 'sidelights' should be banned! I just don't get the mentality of parking light drivers..........you won't get an electricity bill!

Craig

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Side lights indicate which is the side, not the back or front. So when returning from the pub you know which is the sides as that's where the doors are. Haha

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Very true, you very rarely see sides only but it is legal.
I wasn't aware of that and I'm one of perhaps a minority that would prefer to see headlights off in town. Oncoming (dipped) headlights 'hide' road users with less effective lights or none - like pedestrians and cyclists. I can't see any need for them on lit streets. And I don't use mine under those circumstances.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

There is in my opinion
Only 2 positions for lights on a vehicle
Turned fully off
Turned fully on
Only exception is parked while waiting with engine off
Then sidelights are applicable
:doh:

The headlights give others a clue you're there

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
And the other point is that more/brighter lights do not equal better/safer...
Blinding another driver is worse than him not seeing you
if you blind him he's gonna hit someone else (pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist, car etc),
if he doesn't see you he'll only hit you....
That's why it's supposed to be the right lights for the right situation, not as many lights as you can..
As a motorcyclist myself, I really hate the current fashion for riding with main beam on "to be seen"

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Not half as annoying as the half wits that use rear fog lights when they are not required. How do they manage to have the brain power to turn them on but not know how to turn them off. As far as I am aware the requirement for using them is visibility below 100 feet. Try riding behind these idiots on a motorcycle with a wet visor.
That would be 100 metres rather than feet

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Historically, Side lamps where for driving in Lighted Streets, and Parking in Darkened Streets. Bearing in mind that in many places in the past Street lighting was often switched off after 11pm, to conserve power!. Older Vehicles, had Dynamo`s which where less effective in powering Lights AND Charging at low engine speeds, habitually driving on "head" lights could lead to the battery not being fully charged, with subsequent starting issues!. "head" lights where therefore often confined to usage when in unlighted streets most of which where also unrestricted allowing higher engine speed and thereby better charging!.

The later change to alternator use made the foregoing less of an issue, but the requirement remained for "pilot" or side lights, for use when parked.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Question. Why do you need lights on in the daytime (Other than fog/snow etc),to see something the size of a car ? Seems reasonable to think,if you cannot see it with no lights on you are not looking properly in the first place. Oh,i see :)xThumb: It HELPS you to see it.(See last linexroll:xroll:)
I have a Dacia Logan MCV 2016 over here,sometimes when i am closing the "High Security String" (Blue GPO rope slung between the end of a wall and the lamp post),the DNL? at a certain height (About 2'?) can burn your eyes out,they are that bright,so i pity small children walking across zebra a crossing in front of me,while i wait.
Who is up to coming on Dragons Den with me,launching "Clothes with DNL as Standard""
Tea Bag

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I'm not sure metres were invented when the Highway Code was written.

I refer my Learned Friend to the Emperor Napoleon, (1790`s) who was among the first to embrace the "La metere"?

BTW "old" Irish Miles where aprox 27% longer!!. So paddy had a longer walk to the pub!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I'm not sure metres were invented when the Highway Code was written.
Well you're probably right but weirdly enough it does get updated. When the Highway Code was written originally there were no mobile phones, hand held devices, in fact there weren't even motorways.
I'm not sure how far you are going back but metrication in the UK primarily started its journey in 1968 officially. I worked as a die setter in 1969 and everything for Export had to be in metric.
Also the most recent publication is obtainable at around the £2/2.50 whereas the original was 1 penny in 1931. However, it's pointless quoting from defunct Highway Code books as that may not be the correct situation.
I quoted the current status which is 100 metres which is correct so methinks you need to update your thinking.
I'm not blaming you for a cheap laugh but when it comes to the law, I don't think frivolity is the best solution, really, for you? :xThumb:
download.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well you're probably right but weirdly enough it does get updated. When the Highway Code was written originally there were no mobile phones, hand held devices, in fact there weren't even motorways.
I'm not sure how far you are going back but metrication in the UK primarily started its journey in 1968 officially. I worked as a die setter in 1969 and everything for Export had to be in metric.
Also the most recent publication is obtainable at around the £2/2.50 whereas the original was 1 penny in 1931. However, it's pointless quoting from defunct Highway Code books as that may not be the correct situation.
I quoted the current status which is 100 metres which is correct so methinks you need to update your thinking.
I'm not blaming you for a cheap laugh but when it comes to the law, I don't think frivolity is the best solution, really, for you? :xThumb:
View attachment 139700
And of course, braking distances have never been updated from the days of drum brakes all round.
Thinking distance remains the same....the same distance in feet as the speed in mph.
But the actual stopping distance has all but halved with modern servo assisted disc brakes with ABS.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back