What am I missing? MH on Ebay ... (1 Viewer)

hymerbeliever

Free Member
Mar 23, 2010
Funster No
OP
OP
W

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Please can I just stress again that google didn't take me to this ad, eBay did. Google simply took me to eBay.co.uk - not to a scam eBay site, but the real thing. Google is a perfectly good tool to find the correct URL for sites if used correctly and, in this case, it did its job perfectly.

Themountaintiger - thank you for the link to your helpful post on another thread on this topic, it kind of makes a bit more sense now - though I'm still not quite sure how the re-direct can happen from within ebay (and I suspect the answer to that would take me out of my technical comfort zone!).

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You do often find scam sales on ebay - they do get taken off as regularly as they go on - but they are hoping to snare the innocent and ill informed into thinking the seller is dumb, and selling under value.

Of course everyone else knows this is a scam - especially as every time they do it, they put a green box around the picture! Bit of a warning eh?? Seen a few bargains that are definitely TO BE MISSED like this! lol!

Just an after thought - when buying from places like ebay - pay attention to the prices - they are often not that much cheaper than the dealers - you are getting no warranty either, so that 2k saving may cost a bit more once you find water in the gearbox or similar.

Just a thought!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
ebay scamming

Please can I just stress again that google didn't take me to this ad, eBay did. Google simply took me to eBay.co.uk - not to a scam eBay site, but the real thing. Google is a perfectly good tool to find the correct URL for sites if used correctly and, in this case, it did its job perfectly.

Themountaintiger - thank you for the link to your helpful post on another thread on this topic, it kind of makes a bit more sense now - though I'm still not quite sure how the re-direct can happen from within ebay (and I suspect the answer to that would take me out of my technical comfort zone!).

Hi White Rose, you have hit the crux of the issue which is that ebay should counteract the ability of the scammers to place redirect coding within the scammers motorhome sale page entry. Scammers can do this technically be adding in web code within their ebay sales entry.

When any user adds their new item sales information to ebay, that information is being saved (in laymans terms) to the ebay server. Somewhere within the adding of information about the item, the scammers have found a place to add a quite simple line of html text stating on item page load, redirect to the following web site. They shouldnt be able to do this, but have obviously found a way of doing it. If I come across another scam listing ill get my techies to see where the illicit code is within the page before it redirects and have another go at ebay techie support....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back