what a row

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by surfbum, Aug 14, 2016.

1. surfbum

surfbum Funster

I built a camper van on a vivaro lwb high Hitop and had many long holidays abroad in it.

As i have just retired and me and hwmbo intend to do much more of same i foolishly bought a motorhome.

We thought we needed just a little more room and comfort and are very pleased with our swift sundance 590 rs. What i am not pleased with is all the rattling and squeeking . The front blinds seem to be the worst culprits and the oven/grill next. When i built my van conversion i glued and screwed everything tightly and it was completely free of noise.
    has any other motorhome user had the same problem.

Cheers keith.

2. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Got my cadac stored in oven and bubble wrap around grill pan and other pans ..dont have blinds at front just curtains ..so mine is not very noisy,you just have to be careful with storing cups,glasses etc Roy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We wrap the various bits in the oven in tea towels when we're travelling. Also put one in the cutlery drawer and a couple more in between the pots and pans. As Roy says you also need to make sure crockery and glasses are either packed in properly so they can't move or wrap them up.

Can't help with the blinds. Our don't make any noise. Are they Remis ones or something different?

4. Kevinthecat

Kevinthecat Funster

When I bought my last van , which was brand new, I was so disappointed when things rattled as I thought it would all be silent. Since then I've learnt blu tac & kitchen towel are the motorhomers best friend. I don't know why dealers don't give you these items in a goody bag when you by your van.
    My latest van needed less blue tac but requires a piece of cardboard between the glass and hob while travelling.
    Sometimes the answer is just turn the radio up ;)

5. Enword

Enword Funster

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. MikeD

MikeD Funster

We do take a awful lot of tea towels away with us.

Mostly used to shut the motorhome up when we travel. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. surfbum

surfbum Funster

Yes enword

Just been to poundland and bought three'

I cant say how unchuffed i was at the noise. The missus has one of those colapsable bowls that fits in the grill area with the grill pan sat on it so thats nearly cured that side of things but the cab blinds are another thing alltogether.I think they may need packing with hard foam wedges to put them under a bit of tension.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Our last van was very noisy especially from the blinds. But our new van is do quiet, the blinds don't make any noise. Not sure if it is just luck or build quality. But very annoying :-(

9. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

dont remember the blinds on our escape rattling, in both vans use a t towel or one of those dish draining mats under cooker lid to stop hob rattling. Crockery is wedged in so tight it rarely moves and if needed can stuff in a t towel.
    Noise is always worse at slow speeds, radio in this van not so great so cant drown noise out that way lol

10. surfbum

surfbum Funster

Very re miss of remis to sell such a product.:ROFLMAO:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. pyro

pyro Funster

We suffered the same experience with our new M/H (Chausson 515). The front blind affair (Remis?) is the worst offender, blue tack works. Another problem was resolved by hot melt glue across all the wires within the drop down 3rd berth, which were rattling like things that rattle in a noisy place

All the grill bits have been wrapped up in bubble wrap, and I have now stuck draft excluder self adhesive foam along all the cupboards rather than refit all the latches. We've also fitted a bloody loud radio/mp3 system to drown out what's left.

You'd think that this sort of thing would all be sorted out by the manufacturers before delivery to the dealers, wouldn't you. Perhaps worth of a thread of its own?

12. JJ

JJ Funster

I just turn my stereo up... (y)

JJ :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. surfbum

surfbum Funster

What amazes me pyro is the vehicle is nearly 8 years old and done 20 k miles .The previouse owner just put up with it.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. pyro

pyro Funster

@surfbum Astonishing. I suppose people just tune it out.

The dealer was a bit surprised when I complained about all the rattles and bangs, and told me I would get used to them. In the end they agreed and tightened up a lot of things, but I've had to do most of the refinements myself. We're slowly eliminating one sound at a time, but I have resigned myself to accepting that I will never again enjoy a quiet ride

15. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

My worst culprit is the metal things pans sit on on the hob. We've found lifting them and using a couple of towels takes care of the problem.

16. surfbum

surfbum Funster

I think i should have a towel stall at Newark. make a fortune:LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

I have to show off here and say that our new Carthago has amazed me with how quiet it is on the road. No rattles or squeaks at all, just like driving a car really. There seem to be bits of foam and little rubber pads everywhere that might make a noise. The parts can't come to much more than a quid in total, so why can't more van manufacturers try a bit harder?

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. kevan

kevan Funster Life Member

Oh' I thought it was those clever motor home manufacturer's that built in the rattles as a Safety feature, to stop you falling asleep on long journeys, Oh well live and learn(n)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. surfbum

surfbum Funster

The problem bob is finding where it is coming from to start with.in the old days id just send the wife in the back while we were on the road, but now she refuse to run around looking for squeeks .:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. pyro

pyro Funster

At the cost premium of a Carthago, I'm surprised they don't throw in an anechoic chamber and a string orchestra to lull you to sleep on the road. Perhaps your bass ears help you to filter out the rhythm section whilst driving :)

But I agree, a few foam wedges, some non slip anti vibration matting, loads of micro fibre cloths and a bit of bubble wrap. A tenner all in would sort it. Or perhaps just aligning all the cupboard latches so they close tight, hot melt gluing down lengthy cable runs, sorting out those bodged Remis blinds, a few lengths of self adhesive Velcro?

• Funny Funny x 2