surfbum

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
10 years
I built a camper van on a vivaro lwb high Hitop and had many long holidays abroad in it.

As i have just retired and me and hwmbo intend to do much more of same i foolishly bought a motorhome.

We thought we needed just a little more room and comfort and are very pleased with our swift sundance 590 rs. What i am not pleased with is all the rattling and squeeking . The front blinds seem to be the worst culprits and the oven/grill next. When i built my van conversion i glued and screwed everything tightly and it was completely free of noise.
has any other motorhome user had the same problem.

Cheers keith.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Got my cadac stored in oven and bubble wrap around grill pan and other pans ..dont have blinds at front just curtains ..so mine is not very noisy,you just have to be careful with storing cups,glasses etc Roy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We wrap the various bits in the oven in tea towels when we're travelling. Also put one in the cutlery drawer and a couple more in between the pots and pans. As Roy says you also need to make sure crockery and glasses are either packed in properly so they can't move or wrap them up.

Can't help with the blinds. Our don't make any noise. Are they Remis ones or something different?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
When I bought my last van , which was brand new, I was so disappointed when things rattled as I thought it would all be silent. Since then I've learnt blu tac & kitchen towel are the motorhomers best friend. I don't know why dealers don't give you these items in a goody bag when you by your van.
My latest van needed less blue tac but requires a piece of cardboard between the glass and hob while travelling.
Sometimes the answer is just turn the radio up ;)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We do take a awful lot of tea towels away with us.

Mostly used to shut the motorhome up when we travel. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
surfbum

surfbum

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
10 years
Yes enword

Just been to poundland and bought three'

I cant say how unchuffed i was at the noise. The missus has one of those colapsable bowls that fits in the grill area with the grill pan sat on it so thats nearly cured that side of things but the cab blinds are another thing alltogether.I think they may need packing with hard foam wedges to put them under a bit of tension.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Our last van was very noisy especially from the blinds. But our new van is do quiet, the blinds don't make any noise. Not sure if it is just luck or build quality. But very annoying :-(

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
dont remember the blinds on our escape rattling, in both vans use a t towel or one of those dish draining mats under cooker lid to stop hob rattling. Crockery is wedged in so tight it rarely moves and if needed can stuff in a t towel.
Noise is always worse at slow speeds, radio in this van not so great so cant drown noise out that way lol

OP
OP
surfbum

surfbum

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
10 years
Very re miss of remis to sell such a product.:ROFLMAO:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We suffered the same experience with our new M/H (Chausson 515). The front blind affair (Remis?) is the worst offender, blue tack works. Another problem was resolved by hot melt glue across all the wires within the drop down 3rd berth, which were rattling like things that rattle in a noisy place

All the grill bits have been wrapped up in bubble wrap, and I have now stuck draft excluder self adhesive foam along all the cupboards rather than refit all the latches. We've also fitted a bloody loud radio/mp3 system to drown out what's left.

You'd think that this sort of thing would all be sorted out by the manufacturers before delivery to the dealers, wouldn't you. Perhaps worth of a thread of its own?

OP
OP
surfbum

surfbum

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
10 years
What amazes me pyro is the vehicle is nearly 8 years old and done 20 k miles .The previouse owner just put up with it.:eek:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
@surfbum Astonishing. I suppose people just tune it out.

The dealer was a bit surprised when I complained about all the rattles and bangs, and told me I would get used to them. In the end they agreed and tightened up a lot of things, but I've had to do most of the refinements myself. We're slowly eliminating one sound at a time, but I have resigned myself to accepting that I will never again enjoy a quiet ride

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
My worst culprit is the metal things pans sit on on the hob. We've found lifting them and using a couple of towels takes care of the problem.

OP
OP
surfbum

surfbum

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
10 years
I think i should have a towel stall at Newark. make a fortune:LOL:

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I have to show off here and say that our new Carthago has amazed me with how quiet it is on the road. No rattles or squeaks at all, just like driving a car really. There seem to be bits of foam and little rubber pads everywhere that might make a noise. The parts can't come to much more than a quid in total, so why can't more van manufacturers try a bit harder?

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Oh' I thought it was those clever motor home manufacturer's that built in the rattles as a Safety feature, to stop you falling asleep on long journeys, Oh well live and learn(n)

OP
OP
surfbum

surfbum

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
10 years
The problem bob is finding where it is coming from to start with.in the old days id just send the wife in the back while we were on the road, but now she refuse to run around looking for squeeks .:(

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
At the cost premium of a Carthago, I'm surprised they don't throw in an anechoic chamber and a string orchestra to lull you to sleep on the road. Perhaps your bass ears help you to filter out the rhythm section whilst driving :)

But I agree, a few foam wedges, some non slip anti vibration matting, loads of micro fibre cloths and a bit of bubble wrap. A tenner all in would sort it. Or perhaps just aligning all the cupboard latches so they close tight, hot melt gluing down lengthy cable runs, sorting out those bodged Remis blinds, a few lengths of self adhesive Velcro?

OP
OP
surfbum

surfbum

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
10 years
Speaking about ears, i was a drummer for 40 odd years and my missus says im as deaf as a post, but its not helping me shut out the rattles in me swift:ROFLMAO:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
SPEAK UP MAN, I CANT HEAR YOU FOR ALL THE BLOODY RATTLES IN HERE!
Haha, it's our cooker that's the main culprit and its stuffed with tea towels, spongy foam etc. After being a tugger for many years it came as a bit of a shock.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Our first M/H was a Swift. It was new and the rattling was deafening. Being tuggers before, we assumed that it was normal as you don't hear all that racket when you tow a caravan. I used to go round the van before every trip with those rubber wedges that are used to stop sash windows from rattling.
Our next van was an AutoTrail which was much better but still had a few annoying rattles.
Like @BobtheBass we now have a Carthago and it is pretty much rattle free.
At least it is in most of France. Then we come back to the UK and our wonderful pot holed roads, where we crash and bang our way home up the A12.

Richard.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Speaking about ears, i was a drummer for 40 odd years and my missus says im as deaf as a post, but its not helping me shut out the rattles in me swift:ROFLMAO:
That might of course be contributing to my perception that our van is quiet. Being a bass player I have stood next to one of you noisy blighters on stage for many years........

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Had a hell of a rattle from the overhead bed, asked for advice and sprayed all the joints with the suggested greases, etc, then stopped being lazy and took the spinners to it.

When the skirts around the bottom of the bed started squeaking I fitted a captive nut and bolt to each side.

No squeaks at all now.

Maybe the squeaks are from loose fittings, and a fettling will cure the problems.

We have the non slip stuff in all the cupboards, no rattles or squeaks from them either.

Hymie.

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Well, I am glad it is not just me.

Picked up our 2008 Swift Sundance 3 months ago and on the way home my ears were assaulted with a loud concophony of noise.

OMG, the Moho drove lovely but I did not dare go above 50 on the motorway otherwise my eardrums may have burst.

Slowly sorting the various noises, oven shelf and hob metal thingy travel under a seat cushion and many tea towels randomly deployed before departure.

My next job is the cab window blinds currently have bits of folded paper wedged between them and cab doors.

The British roads definitely do not help, find a smooth bit and now the noise is not bad but a normal rough road and still fairly noisey.

OP
OP
surfbum

surfbum

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
10 years
the cab blinds i think; will be cured by some draft excluder tape .I will remove everything from cooker and rear cupboards and start prosses of ilimination .i need a team of funsters in the back while i drive round a camp site. Now that would be site to see.:p

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We don't wrap anything for travelling, mugs on non slip with a space between each and glasses in a cut foam base, otherwise everything in its normal place .
Quiet as a Fiat / Hymer mating (y)

OP
OP
surfbum

surfbum

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
10 years
Hi Paul

Is there a large gap between blinds and cab window like mine.,i can get my fingertip in and the rattling goes so thats a starter.

Cheers Keith

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Tuggers always comment on how noisy MHs are with rattles and bangs etc. They should try riding in their old caravan and they would realise the MHs are quiet it is just YOU CAN HEAR IT.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back