What A Fun Weekend We Have Had :-(

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jaws, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Went to the local CFL site for the weekend to give it a good going over and take some pics.. ( More on this on another thread.. though really pleased with it ! )

2 miles from home a lorry comes across a double white line and clouts the mirror.. Smashed to bits.. ( new one ordered at £127 :-( )
    Checked on the DVR when we stopped and other than it being a tipper type truck in blue absolutely no markings on the thing at all.. Number plate completely obscured and no names on it

Get to the site.. press the sat button.. Up she goes and .. goes... and goes................

No sat found.
    Mo reported we had a BIG lightning strike quite close by last week, so I know what caused it..
    Kept fingers crossed it was the LNB..
    Changed it.. Nope
    Just maybe it is a cable fault.. Nope
    It is the controller gone phut.. So that is off to Oyster for repair tomorrow.. gawd knows how much that will cost.. anything up to £630 for a replacement :-(

Then the absolute worst thing..
    It was the first time Dillon had been allowed to run free ( sort of ) as the site is BIG, very flat, well manicured and he could not go in harms way
    I was throwing a ball for him.. He was running around without a care in the world really enjoying him self
    Then he could not see the ball.. Mucking around I jumped on a mates mobility scooter and went off to collect the thing.. Dillon was running around it so I slowed right down, terrified I was gonna hit him.
    Picked up the ball and as soon as I started moving he started running round me again.
    So I stopped and picked him up.. He sat quite happily between my legs on the platform
    Just got up to speed and he decided to get off !!!!!!!
    Well he only half made it and one of his back legs was run over ....

He screamed.. and I could have died there and then thinking the worst

He was in a very poorly way and the following morning I borrowed a car and took him to a vets.
    Fortunately it seems nothing was broken but she was a little concerned it MIGHT be cracked..

After some discussion a support bandage was put on.. £70 + vat that bandage was

He spent the rest of the day staring daggers at me and would not come near me !!

Fortunately this morning all is pretty good again and although he is favouring it ( due in main to half a ton of bright red bandage !! ) he is not in any pain and spent the morning trying to remove said bandage..
    The vet suggested it stay on until Monday but to be on the safe side ( having taken advice elsewhere ) it will be coming off Wednesday..

To say I was distraught is an understatement.. The whole thing kept going over and over in my head.. How stupid I had been and how terrible it MIGHT have been.. Never slept a wink on Friday night..
    He seems to have forgiven me now but I do not think I will ever be able to forgive my self..........

• Like Like x 2
  2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Just a normal day in the life of "Jaws".. then.. :giggler:

Glad no one was hurt in this episode.. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Glad he hasn't suffered any long term damage. Mistakes happen and dogs jump so fast.
    Sorry to read of your other mishaps too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Sorry to read about that; not a great weekend. Hope that Dillon has no lasting damage(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

John, he will still love no matter what you have done. The worst bit is you trying to forget about it. Don't fancy that sat dish repair...................

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ven

Ven Funster

Oh John your luck has been missing lately :(

As far as your doggy mishap goes, I feel for you. Our little princess had an emergency trip to the vet in Portugal after we saw you last and I felt so guilty although it was an accident and we DO have the most accident prone dog ever I think.

Glad he's on the mend x

• Like Like x 1
  7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

So difficult John, but thank goodness the dogs ok. These things always roll over in your mind thinking what could have been.
    He's ok so forget it .

• Like Like x 2
  8. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Sorry to hear of your mishaps, but on a similar note.

Sometimes when driving in the Countryside I see farmers or suchlike on a small ATV or 4x4 with a dog standing on it's luggage rack, the ATV is on a main road and travelling at a fair lick. It burns me up wondering if the dog is going to jump off or be fling off if the farmer has to make an emergency stop !!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The dog will forgive you John, but the Mrs, that's another matter! Hope he recovered quick. (y)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I am lashing out on her today, so hopefully all will be forgiven..
    Gonna buy her TWO chicken wraps from Macky D's !!

• Like Like x 4
  11. wingman

wingman Funster

Just think John.....
    The money you helped to raise for the Air Ambulance probably helped to to save someone's life this weekend. Sort of re-balances things and puts them in perspective eh?

You'll probably find that the sat system only costs a few bob to fix, the mirror ain't your fault anyway and the dog will apologise! Conscience clear. :D:D:D

• Like Like x 2
  12. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

I take it you didn't win the lottery either then John :ROFLMAO:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Talk about bad luck :(. I sincerely hope you've had yours for the year and the rest is just plain sailing :) Good luck with sorting the sat out and I'm sure your dog will be by your side, faithfully, forever (y)

Thanks Antony

• Like Like x 1
  14. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Glad Dillon is okay.... luckily he was more frightened than anything and it may make him more cautious in the future. I know you will never forgive yourself but there has been no serious injury so lighten up on yourself.

All the rest can be repaired - at a cost :(

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

mate.. have a look at a thread from me about our return trip from Spain in March.

trailer scraped and a new gearbox needed.. People on the camp punched a hole in the awning, etc etc etc..
    This is REALLY not my year !!!

Dillon seems to have forgiven me and to be fair Woman is actually commiserating with me ( she could see how upset I was )

New mirror assembly on order so just got to ring Oyster now and see what they say

16. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Your luck is as bad as Bill The Drill's (aka Happy Brewer).
    To paraphrase the late BB King "If it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all "

• Like Like x 1
  17. lorger

lorger Funster

Sounds like a cheap weekend away, hope the dog makes a speedy recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

FFS he's got 4 of them, we manage on two.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Update.. And most of it is good news (y)

Dillon's foot still hurts him a bit once in a while but As he is now trying to remove the support bandage and does not whimper while he is pulling it about I think we can presume all is well and on the mend :)

The Sat system I have sorted out..
    Two faults on it as it turned out.. One was the fixing bolts holding one of the micro-switches in place had come loose.. While it ( oddly ) still initialised and registered as being up or down, for some weird reason it got lost and was unsure of when it was at full tilt..
    Sorted that out, reset everything and greased the worm drives whilst I had it apart..
    Then called Oyster who were their normal amazingly helpful selves and talked me through resetting all the new transponder frequencies
    All of mine had reverted to a default setting which I suspect was caused by a pretty big EMP blast when lightning struck about 50 yards from where the van was parked week before last.
    All new frequencies entered set it off to search.. Bingo !!

Big thanks to Mark at Oyster for all his help (y)

The mirror assembly is on order.. Complete unit including shipping was £127.00
    Me being a tight wad I will use all the bits off the new unit ( cosmetic stuff ) and then sell the rest ( all the electronics ) on fleabay to recoup a few shekels.. That is due here tomorrow.

All in all what was looking to be a total disaster has been down graded to 'pain in the butt' status !! :laughing::rofl:

• Like Like x 7
  20. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Glad to hear a bit of good news for a change John. Jenny and I sometimes open your posts with great trepidation wondering what disaster has befallen you this time!!

Plus we like to know where you are going so we can head in the opposite direction much as we love you LOL

• Like Like x 1