Whale 13 Litre Water heater dead

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by Muddibootz, May 23, 2016.

1. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

We have a 13l Whale water heater in our 2012 motorhome like this one:-

http://www.whalepumps.com/rv/produc...0&Product_ID=21&FriendlyID=Water-Heater-13ltr

It seems to have died completely. There are no indicators on the control panel. It doesn't work on Mains or Gas. I was hoping it would be something as simple as a 12v Fuse but I have measured 12V at the input terminals and the switches on the control panel all seem to deliver 12V on the right terminals as expected.

Before I check this in with a Whale expert, does anyone know if there is something silly I may have missed?

2. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

I'm no Whale expert but do quite a bit with control systems. If you are measuring voltage at all the places you think you should be getting it and assuming gas is there and water is present and you have tried the power down wait thirty seconds then power up again and none of that has worked and there are no plugs fallen out of any sockets then I'd say you haven't missed anything obvious and it's time to call in the tech. As you have nothing on the control panel then I'd be looking at the main propcessor control board as the likely culprit. Good luck!

3. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

have you checked for internal fuses or reset buttons im not familiar with whale

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

I couldn't see anything obvious. The manual describes a reset number of "lock outs" but these should all show a different number of flashes on one of the LEDs. I did try that but to no avail. I couldn't see anything on the circuit board looking like a fuse and I've tried resetting the 12V power several times.

5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i know with the truma there is a hidden internal fuse. all I can suggest is you phone whale's technical number for support. it will be in the user manual at the back

6. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

Thanks All. I just contacted Whale and it sounds like the main board which will need to be replaced by the dealer. The good news (for me) is that there is a 5 year warranty on Whale water heaters apparently.