Well, I have finally met one , gassed (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
cant say a lot about this as it may get back, but I was sitting in a cafe on faro beach this afternoon , and two couples were sitting at the next table, anyway got talking to them , and one of them tells us he was gassed on a French motorway aire near Bordeaux, last week, they were out seven hours, and had the police, and the police told them, BUT he then goes on to tell us that they took everything while they were asleep , so he had to fly back to England to sort his insurance and buy new stuff, but said he will be 3 grand down, even after the insurance, so whatever he had in the van is anyone's guess.
Didn't ask many details, as he was a pleasant sort of a bloke and didn't want to upset him, but there you have it , first hand information, make of it what you will.
He is staying on the albufaro camp stop so if any one is there they might have better info than me.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I know, I know. Experts are not the flavour of the day but :p

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
J
and you thought which side of the tunnel to park on was contentious :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Just got back from the airport, start planing the next trip now;)(y)
But the guy was dead serious , me and Julie couldn't hardly stop from laughing, but there are thousands of vans down that way must be a funster there that has met him.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know, I know. Experts are not the flavour of the day but :p

Link Removed
Don't think he can have been on here as he was telling it dead serious as if we had never heard of such a thing.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
More to the point 3 grand out:eek: what the hell was he carrying.... Ex Pat bremoaner imigrants:whistle::reel:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I m not sure who to believe here. The first live motorhomer reporting that he is 3 grand out of pocket on an insurance claim for being gassed or the those people who think they might know something about it who have no reason to even issue a statement and no personal gain in making it.

FAKENEWS seems the word of the week !

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've met a few who have been totally convinced they were gassed then robbed. One Funster used to get very upset if you called it a myth. But I did anyway :D

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We met a young couple who were absolutely convinced that they and their dogs had been gassed. We listened sympathetically but are still convinced that there is some other explanation as gassing defies all logic despite what the experts say. But we never take a drink till seats are turned round and the alarm set. Even when sitting outside in the sun we lock & alarm the door in case we fall asleep.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
cant say a lot about this as it may get back, but I was sitting in a cafe on faro beach this afternoon , and two couples were sitting at the next table, anyway got talking to them , and one of them tells us he was gassed on a French motorway aire near Bordeaux, last week, they were out seven hours, and had the police, and the police told them, BUT he then goes on to tell us that they took everything while they were asleep , so he had to fly back to England to sort his insurance and buy new stuff, but said he will be 3 grand down, even after the insurance, so whatever he had in the van is anyone's guess.
Didn't ask many details, as he was a pleasant sort of a bloke and didn't want to upset him, but there you have it , first hand information, make of it what you will.
He is staying on the albufaro camp stop so if any one is there they might have better info than me.
Gassed in Bordeaux last week, went back to the uk sorted insurance and replaced all his gear and was in Faro a week later. I know it is only the detail but that was some achievement...

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
For what it's worth ... the brain has a mechanism that lets you sleep through 'normal' noises and only wakes you for unusual activity. This is why we can share a bed with a partner and not wake up every time they get up for a pee. Neither do we wake up when the dog snores or gets up for a drink in the night. Burglars are experts at operating almost silently. We once got robbed from a tent, many years ago and couldn't believe that we'd heard nothing given the racket a zip makes in the night. There was no gas myth to explain it then otherwise I might have believed it. It's definitely a myth.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Sorry, I still think it's a myth.
Having said that there is no way I would stop overnight on a motorway Aire/Services/whatever in any country. Give me a proper Aire in a village anytime!
I was also trying to think if we would be 3 grand down considering we live in our van, and I can't imagine it!

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Many years ago while in my 20's I was asleep in bed at home after a few sherberts when some bloke up the road caught his missus with her boyfriend! he then proceeded to chase her down the road in his car he took out 4 fence panels and 5 posts from the bottom of our garden 30 feet from my bedroom I slept through it all including the 2 coppers falling in our fish pond as they wrestled with him. Was I gassed?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
When i was doing my CPC for a driving job i met a driver who had ben gassed and so-many of the other drivers agreeing with him.
I rely strugeld to contain my shelf i culd not resist getting the royal College of anesthetist report on my lap top.
And passing it round.
more back tracking than a Italian infantry unit under fire
bill

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Administering a poisonous substance is a serious crime. Also is driving under the influence of drugs

When I ask people, who tell me that the French police told them that they were gassed, "How long were they hospitalised after the attacked" they are non plussed

Have a sniff of a glass of wine and you'll be done for drinking and driving by French plod.

Yet, they will tell you you've been drugged, unconscious for several hours and wave you on your way to drive down the motorway, likely, presumably to blackouts or further complication, of being drugged

Hospitalisation and toxicologist reports would need to be complied, before any one could be satisfied you would be safe to drive.

I've given up using facts such as Grommet's link and the practical aspects of impossibility.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Many years ago while in my 20's I was asleep in bed at home after a few sherberts when some bloke up the road caught his missus with her boyfriend! he then proceeded to chase her down the road in his car he took out 4 fence panels and 5 posts from the bottom of our garden 30 feet from my bedroom I slept through it all including the 2 coppers falling in our fish pond as they wrestled with him. Was I gassed?
Lots of people run in their sleep.....:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The only people whom we know personally who claimed they were gassed were in a tent on a French campsite, and they said other tents were broken into in the same way on the same night.

BUT, gassing was the explanation they were given by the Police, as in the OP above. It was not something they could confirm themselves. Either the French Police know something we don't, or they know nothing.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
The Beauty Terrorist claims she is gassed almost every night....

However my response is to quote my Granny..."it's a sad arse that never rejoices!"

:D2:D2:D2:D2:D2:D2:D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I wonder if it is possible to get the info on the number of proven gas attacks from the French police ... such as a Freedom of Info type request ... could prove quite interesting!:)

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
There's a guy works down our chip shop swears he's Elvis.................................

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I didn't want to get in any argument or anything with this bloke as , as I said a very pleasant bloke, and we had been talking about other stuff, be fore we mentioned we also had a motorhome, only then did he come up with this story, just matter of fact as if he was just telling us to beware, but it really was the classical story , I could have told him every word as he was saying it, I did ask him where they put the gas in , and then he was stuck he could only say what the police said, as far as I could tell there was no evidence where it had come from, he said the police said the thieves sometimes drill a hole in the windows(n) but not in this one.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
There are many people who believe they have seen ghosts.

There are many people who believe they have been abducted by aliens.

There are many people who believe there is a supreme being who, if asked nicely, will sort out problems in their lives.

There are a very few people who believe they have been gassed, prior to being robbed, in their vans.

These matters are real and true to them.

I just let them get on with their beliefs...

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back