weight !!!!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Steve & Lys, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Steve & Lys

Steve & Lys Read Only Funster

Morning all from a very snowy Hertfordshire:0(
    I have , and so does Lyssa , a C1 and C1E driving licence. This as I understand it allows us to drive a vehicle up to 3.5 ton ??? What about the payload , does that get included in the 3.5 ton or on top of it ???
    S&L

2. Steve & Lys

Sorry , been looking at too many 3.5 ton MH , my C1 let's me drive up to 7.5 ton , so I have answered my own question :0) , too much coffee and too many questions !

3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Yes, C1 is 7.5T.

The payload limit is set by the vehicle not by the license. You need to look at the plate to find this out. With a 3.5T van you will be limited to 3.5T including all payload.

4. Steve & Lys

Cheers Gromitt, would I be right in saying that a twin axle MH would have a better payload ? Or is it a lot more involved than that ??
    S&L

5. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

More involved. It is likely that a twin axle motorhome will have a higher payload (and MAM) than one with a single rear axle. But often the additional MAM is used up in carrying a heavier body so the payload may not be as good as one might think. (On that point and to answer an earlier question, the MAM of 3.5, or up to 7.5 tonnes INCLUDES the payload.)
    An alternative to the twin axle option is a twin wheeled axle at the rear. Twin axles are generally used with front wheel drive chassis and twin wheeled axles with rear wheel drive chassis. The often used term 'tag axle' actually refers to a non-driven rear axle behind a driven rear axle: often seen on coaches and refuse trucks but never, so far as I'm aware, on a European motorhome.
    Many twin wheeled (as opposed to twin axled) RWD motorhomes have significant payloads. These are found on Merc Sprinter, Iveco Daily and some Ford Transit bases.

6. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

The 3.5 tonne limit in this case is the overall gross weight of the vehicle and therefore includes everything.

7. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

My licence says
    a, b, be, c1, c1e, c, ce, d1, d1e, d, de, f,k,l,n,p,g,h
    What can I drive?

8. Thedriver

Thedriver Read Only Funster

Can't quote details but I saw a picture in a m/h mag of a tag axle leading axle driven Mercedes Hymer A class which would have been rear wheel drive.I think as I remember the picture of the model it would have been circa 1991 possibly an S700.If I am right,it would have been a rare beast indeed.It would be interesting to know how many were made.
    Over to you
    Bruce.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

You are correct - I had forgotten that very rare beast the true tag-axled S750. Here it is.

Attached Files:

10. Thedriver

Well there we are!! Good memory but looks like possibly pre 1991. Where did the pic come from? Looks a lovely van,I wish I could own one like it now.all that remains now is how many were made and is there any remaining.I bet the payload was big!

11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

12. Thedriver

I did mention "payload" to head us back in that direction,Also the tag axle so maybe we didn't drift off that far. I think,me being the greedy selfish type,I would like one in as new condition with all the goodies already fitted for about £2000.My apologies also to the original poster,i think it could have been me who led us in the wrong direction