Weighbridge Shock

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by dellwood33, Jun 9, 2010.

1. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

I have been reading quite a few posts recently on overloaded Motorhomes and decided that before my French Holiday I should have the "Van" weighed. Filled up with Diesel & packed the van in what we considered to be holiday trim.
    Onto the weighbridge and the operator asked me if I wanted to remove anything before he wrote out the ticket - we were 3520kg :Eeek:
    Dropped the water from the fresh tank - straight onto the weighing platform :RollEyes: but it did reduce the level a bit. - 3505 kg

Took Barbara's wheelchair out of the van and we were eventually down to 3490kg :Sad:

I have since had an afternoon session of lightening the van and removing the "Non essentials" that seem to sit around in the van & never get used.

I will be going back to the weighbridge to check my efforts, but it has made me realise how much things like Tinned Dog Food, tools and tent pegs weigh. :BigGrin:

2. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

We're going to do the same exercise this summer and we're not looking forward to it!:Eeek:

We are a 4ton van at least!:Smile:
    Anyone taking bets on what we really weigh???????:Smile:

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

4,800kg, hee hee better drink all that booze first

4. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

Hey Roger - we don't carry a stock of booze - for that very reason!:Rofl1::Rofl1:

5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:aha thats why you dring everyone else's:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

could have been worse....you could have had an empty water tank to start with.:Doh:

easiest way to lose weight is remove all those items you think you may need but so far never have.

Eeer!!! just realised you dumped the water straight onto the weighbridge....i hope it all ran off. :Eeek:

bit like posting a coat and cutting off the buttons to save postage weight and putting them in a pocket . :Rofl1:

7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We have just completely emptied our rv ready to collect replacement. Its a huge heap of stuff. Of course none of its mine :Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. iveco

iveco Read Only Funster

Recently weighed our Iveco Daily 35s 12 fully loaded plus water and diesel 3250 kilos so 250 kilos for beer etc. Just a tip I went to our local council refuse department weighbridge and if you do not require a print out it is free of charge.

9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I can honestly say I have never been knowingly overweight in all the European motorhomes I have owned. That's because I have never been to a weighbridge. Ignorance is bliss:Blush:

10. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

would vosa really fine you for 3520 ?
    I would be surprised if their equipment is accurate to that degree ,anyway , even permanent weighbridges can have a small inaccuracy

11. iveco

iveco Read Only Funster

I am reliably informed that they will prosecute above 2 per cent and the fines rise in relation to the weight and can run into the thousands.

:Doh::Doh:

12. iveco

iveco Read Only Funster

Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law an overloaded motorhome is easy revenue for a police authority. The fines are heavy and you would also have to remove weight and leave at roadside before being allowed to procede. If you are significantly overweight you cold lose your driving licence.

:Doh:

13. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Greetings,

Just a thought. Did you take Barbara on the trip to the weighbridge. If you didn't how diplomatic are you at telling her that she might have to erm shed a little (or aren't you taking her)!!!
    I've just read your post again.
    Did you take the dog?

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

just a thought....

did you get the individual axle weights and gross or just the gross weight ?

are you overweight on the rear axle or on the gross. (Doh!!! its obviously the gross)

with the known axle weights, once you get below the gross, you could move stuff around to balance the load front and rear and improve handling/braking.

15. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

Just a reminder, I will be taking a set of load cells to the "Bring and buy". It will give everyone a chance to check the weight of their M/H.

Andy

16. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

well 2% is 3570 , is it not?

17. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Certified weighbridges are accurate up to 100grams :Eeek: or so my local scrap dealer tells me. And it cost him a fortune getting his bridge tested every year to say so :Doh:

18. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Also, correct us if we are wrong, but wouldn't your insuranc e be invalid if you were driving overweight?? Something to bear in mind if that is correct.
    Nigel and Pamala

19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

as far as i know using a transport managers &operators handbook .if you are up to 5percent over you get a warning. from 5-10 percent the vehicle gets prohibited on its journey untill the extra weight is removed .if over 10 percent a prosecution will follow.currently amax of 5,000quid .if you drive on and ignore the prohibition the penalty max is a further 5,000quid .
    i am obsessed with not overloading .coming from the transport industry i have been drilled not to overload. as a private person its only a fine .as transport manager its my job and possibly the future of the business i managed at risk. without operators licence we could not run the business.
    i have always been of the belief the merc 508 had the right weight for a camper. i still think a camper needs 5-6ton gvw. more for long term travel.
    i would like to think every one weighs there camper at least once a year just to be safe.
    cheers alan.

20. mick noe

mick noe Funster

Just done ours, bang on 3,200kg, which is our max weight, off to France tomorrow, the minute we get back we will be up-rating to 3,500kg as have spoken to svtech who say it's just a paper exercise