DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our 'van has a Webasto Dualtop diesel heater which blows hot air out through three outlets. One in the bathroom, one near the front of the vehicle and a larger one in the kitchen area. The heater itself is fitted in the bottom of the wardrobe and the outlet to the bathroom is on one wall of this enclosure and the main outlet is at the front of the wardrobe at feet height. The one to the front of the vehicle runs along the back of the sofabed through ducting, the others also use ducting but the runs are much smaller. The problem is there is no way to balance the air flow as all the outlets are simple grills and the amount of air coming out of the front outlet is a fraction of what comes out of the others. Here in a slightly out of focus shot is the one in the bathroom. (Prior to cleaning I should say in our defence. :) )

P3220088.jpg

Webasto make closeable outlets in 60mm and 90mm sizes. I bought one 60mm in white from here: http://www.jpcdirect.com/?shop=shopitems/webasto/warm.air.ducting.and.accessories/index.aspx

There are other suppliers but these were cheapest I could find though I didn't look on eBay. The outlet I bought looks like this:

P3220086.jpg

P3220087.jpg

I thought at first I would have to remove the existing outlet completely but after a few grazed knuckles I realised this isn't necessary. The knurled bezel on the front just springs off if you put a thin screwdriver behind it, revealing the main housing, which in the bathroom is sealed in place.

P3220092.jpg

So I just removed the front from the new outlet and clicked it into place.

P3220093.jpg

I haven't changed the main 90mm outlet which blasts into the kitchen. This is because I have been advised the Webasto is very sensitive to overheating and if the main outlet was closed the heater might overheat and (hopefully) shut down.
There are times when of course we want lots of heat going into the bathroom but at other times I am hoping being able to close this outlet a bit will encourage more air to reached the more distant outlet at the front of the vehicle.
Road test reports to follow. :)

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
A simple job that gives you so much control.
Leaving your bathroom vent slightly open will give the room just enough heat, this also forces more heat out to
living area where its needed the most (y)

This is how i set up the Webasto ducting on the PUG.
60mm Bathroom vent closeable, One 60mm open outlet near seating and one 90mm open outlet at floor level just inside the sliding door, great for drying... Boots,Coats,Towels etc.....Even used to take the chill off Red Wine :D

All only possible if Buster not sat in front of the vent :)

I am sure you will be very happy with your modification (y)

Ralph

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for sharing :)

Webasto main ducting is supposed to not be closeable due to possible overheating, like you said. On my install I made the main ducting closeable and the secondary (longest run to the front of the car) not closeable. Works fine, but probably not as efficient heating if I completely close main ducting vent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
When we had our last van and Webasto heating it kept closing down due to overheating.

The penny finally dropped as to the reason. The dog was lying in front of it hogging all the heat and blocking the airflow. A good lesson learned.

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
When we had our last van and Webasto heating it kept closing down due to overheating.

The penny finally dropped as to the reason. The dog was lying in front of it hogging all the heat and blocking the airflow. A good lesson learned.
Bad dog! :) was the solution a redesign or a new dog? Alaska husky? ;)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Bad dog! :) was the solution a redesign or a new dog? Alaska husky? ;)
A change of van. That was mums excuse anyway :)
Now she won’t have anything but a gas fire and they seem to be harder to come by in recent years so we ain’t swapping again for now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back