Webasco heating

Discussion in 'Chausson' started by irnbru, Jan 29, 2014.

1. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Can someone tell me how to work this please. We turned the knob and it flashes green but we have no idea why it wont work, any covers or anything we need to remove.??We arrived at our new van last night and lay chittering in the cold all night. :cry:

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

OK

Flashing means something is going on!

Have you got a Dualtop or an Airtop?

Does it do water and air or just air?

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Try starting the van engine and leave it running whilst the heater goes through its start up cycle. They draw quite a few amps on start up, but once running draw very little power. For some reason mine will only start whilst the engine is running but once its started its fine.

4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

If you have Dualtop (water and air), turn the mode selector knob fully anticlockwise for five seconds, the flashing will stop.
    Then select a heating mode and everything will work fine.

Your boiler will have got below 6 degrees and the antifrost valve is dumping water!

• Like Like x 1
  5. irnbru

No idea as yet what we have, all I know is one green knob, and like a trauma boiler button in a different area. Will look closely tonight and maybe upload a few photos if necessary.

6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

It sounds like you have an Airtop then!

The blinking led will be indicating an error code.
    In the instruction manual, the error codes will be listed.
    Its a case of reading the book I'm afraid! It will probably be something simple like low voltage. Many motorhome manufacturers, Chausson included, don't put sufficiently thick cable in the supply to these heaters. This results in low voltage faults even though your battery is fine.

You need to identify the error code first before you get carried away though.

Check this thread-

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/43684-webasto-diesel-heater-problems-questions.html

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I have a Webasto duel top and the user manual. If you need the error code deciphered send me a pm and I will dig it out and let you know what the code means.
    Sounds to me that the safety valve on the boiler has opened and henve the flashing light. This is normal in cold weather unless the anti frost setting is selected. I tend to let the boiler dump the water then fill it up the following morning, saves on energy consumption.

8. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Count the flashes. We are Webasto service agents (undercover)

The most common is low fuel :Eeek: Unless you have over 1\4 tank of diesel the system will not work

If you look at the flashing it will start off appearing random and eventually make sense

Eddie

• Like Like x 2
  9. irnbru

I think this is indeed the problem. Just plugged in elec hook up and heater is now working but Im getting puzzled here because the previous owner called me from Spain and told me the heating is run by gas:Eek!: I said I was sure it was diesel, he said noooo, but he did declare he wasn't really a motorhomer, and hadn't used it much.

My battery is full so why do Chausson put too thin of cables on to start with. Looks like we are now going to have to fork out more money and pay a dealer to fix this or freeze:Sad:

10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Its not a difficult job really.
    You need to feed the heater fuses with a bit of 2.5mm twin core flex directly from the B2 and B neg terminals on the CBE fuse box/distribution board.
    Routing can be along underneath the floor where it joins the cab.
    The terminals on the CBE panel are accessed by removing 2 screws and removing the front cover. The CBE panel is located under the RH bench seat, the Webasto fuses are located on the left of the lounge I believe.
    A quick PM to Kelpbeds might be worthwhile.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snowbird

As I previously posted, try switching the heater on whilst the engine is running. Once the heater has gone through the start up cycle it should run without problem.

• Like Like x 1
  12. irnbru

Great idea. Will try that 2mor..THANX, at least I know its working with ehu but no consolation if wilding. Keep you updated.

13. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I hope this is not hijacking the thread too much, but I've got an Airtop 2000ST and was wondering if anyone knows...

...is the part of the heating cycle where the Webasto draws a lot of current, when it kicks in fully, the same every time or is it worst when starting from cold and then occurs less often as the heater (and 'van) gets warmer?

The reason I'm asking is that once the 'van gets nice and toasty eventually my Webasto switches off the heater and the fans slows right down, so it's just circulating the air. After a while the van cools down and it kicks off again. I'm wondering if at this stage it's hammering the battery as much as when I first switched it on.

If it is, I might as well switch it off for a while after the heater switches off and switch it back on when I get cold, rather than rely on the Webasto's thermostat. It'll save the battery getting drained by the fan just running and freezing my ankles! :Smile:

Or am I inflicting more grief on the battery by switching the heater on and off?

14. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Newer diesel heaters are best left on ticking over. Ours will run for days with no problems.
    You are correct in thinking its the startup cycle which hammers the battery. The glowplug is the culprit! The dosing pump and fans use very little power.
    As for starting the van to start your heater, in my opinion that is curing the symptom, not the disease. The only fix is to sort out the wiring.
    Chausson tend to use one big connector block for all the 12 volt electics on the left side of the van. In the case of ours, a main negative connection was loose causing our Webasto low voltage problems.
    I rewired anyway just to ensure we had no future problems.

15. Snowbird

Leave the thing on Niel, it uses next to nothing once its gone through the startup cycle. The biggest pull is during the startup so its best done whilst the engine is running.

16. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

We have a Dualtop. It's central heating with automatic thermostatic control. I'll switch ours off when the van goes back to storage.

17. jezport

jezport Funster

Our Chausson flash03 had an eberspacher diesel air heater with a truma gas water heater

18. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Thanks :thumb: Maybe one day I'll stick a proper meter on it and try to get a better idea of how long things take a hit each time it kicks in. At the moment all I see is that my simple LED voltage display occasionally dips each time the heater re-starts and then everything settles back after a few minutes even though there's no audible change, i.e. it still sounds like a jet engine :BigGrin:

19. irnbru

I have pmd kelpbeds as suggested.

This is a photo of whats in the single seat. Under the passenger seat there is a battery which says 850 A and under the drivers seat there is a battery that says "Ford"

The webasto knob blinks 3 times slowly.

Attached Files:

20. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Three slow flashes indicates undervoltage. The picture is of a CBE battery charger

Eddie