We nearly bought a motorhome! (1 Viewer)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y)

Out of interest (I’m nosey....!), what ‘van were you going to buy......?:unsure:

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
:hiya:
We have been so glad that we have our MH in 2020. Yes, it has been sitting on the drive more than usual, but without it, we would not have had the breaks away that we did manage.
Ditto from us.
By the way :welcome4: from Merseyside.
Plenty of info on here for you to look up also get some opinions as to what to buy and also accessories needed or not.
ENJOY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Grumpyfrog
Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
Welcome from Ciren! (y)

Out of interest (I’m nosey....!), what ‘van were you going to buy......?:unsure:
Do you want the list? lol:giggle:
We really liked the Burstner 680. Big lounge, drop down bed.
Also the Burstner 620 Travel Van.
Then after reading just how versatile a PVC can be we have looked at a number of them also. Only minus we can see is limited storage.
Another of the pre requisites is a localish dealer.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Have you looked at Marquis Motorhomes in Preston (is that far away from you?) - they are a bit like Marmite on Fun ( ;) ), but they generally have a good stock of new and used ‘vans.

edit:- 12 miles according to Google Maps

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Welcome, if this year is somewhere like last year then you will see the escape committee threads coming up when or if the rate drops and when or if Europe opens up for us.

Trying to work out when that will be, and being a few weeks ahead of it in terms of purchasing, would be my plan if I were in your position as there is likely to be more people looking at MHs again (imv) if we are in the position of Quarantine non quarantine no flights flights etc that we were in last year.

Best of luck

OP
OP
Grumpyfrog
Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
Have you looked at Marquis Motorhomes in Preston (is that far away from you?) - they are a bit like Marmite on Fun ( ;) ), but they generally have a good stock of new and used ‘vans.

edit:- 12 miles according to Google Maps
Oh yes!
We have been in a few times. They normally have quite a few MH's but mainly Benimars. Autotrails, or Elldis.
Also salesmen who know even less than me!
Can you tell it is not my favourite place?

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Welcome to the club and I'm surprised no one else has said this. My advice (and this comes from bloody expensive experience) is looking at Van's and sitting in them in the showroom with some pointy shoe salesman (sorry that's a term car transporter drivers use) looking over your shoulder and making you rush a decision is all well and good but you are going to spend an awful lot of money on something that by its nature will be some form of compromise, so I would try and decide on what layout you want and then rent 1 with that layout for a weekend or the shortest period of time you can just to try it to make sure it is what you want because once you have parted with your hard earned cash your scuppered

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Oh yes!
We have been in a few times. They normally have quite a few MH's but mainly Benimars. Autotrails, or Elldis.
Oh dear.......not a good impression then.......? ;)
Our last two ‘vans have come from Marquis (Ipswich and Tewkesbury branches), and we found their people to be pretty good - salesmen and service. Unfortunately they (Marquis) do seem to have ‘bad’ branches, as you will no doubt read about on the forums......... Good luck with your search, and I echo Grummyb - settle on a layout and hire before you buy - it took us three ‘vans to get it (almost!) right.(y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Yep!
We are doing exactly the same.
I suppose it is saving us both money and perhaps making a mistake in buying the wrong layout.
There is always Plan B.
Damn!
We haven't got a Plan B.

I am just picking up on your comment about layout.

You said that you are using the lockdown time to do more research and to watch comments on here . and presumably other forums.

Often there is advice that in choosing a MH that A, B or C should be the biggest priority.

Often the A,B and Cs are

Layout
Payload
Build quality

In my opinion they should go hand-in-hand.

It is no good having the right internal layout if one cannot carry what one wants to use it, and no good if it falls apart/leaks.

I could expand on all aspects, but only if the OP needs it - maybe not, as he is doing his own research.

I will only add one bit of advice for the 'Frog' :-

Do not believe any Dealer's or Manufacturers figures on payload. The only definitive way to assess the payload on an individual MH is to look at the MPLM(MAM) on the latest-dated weight plate fitted to the vehicle, and then take it to a weighbridge, with you present to see what is loaded as people, fuel and water. Then subtract the weighbridge weight from the Max weight - That is the Payload - any other figures are theory/fiction. That is fact.

Build quality needs research, but you will not go far wrong with construction using aluminium sandwich bonded with an insulation filling, without timber. The method is common in German and other Continental built MHs, but is only more recently being adopted by UK builders, so might not be in their older models on the secondhand market. That is comparative fact.

Layout is purely personal, but get inside models and test them for all activities - shit/shave/shower/shampoo comes to mind plus sleeping and cooking. If you fancy a model which is not on the forecourt then compare the dimensions of each compartment on paper with those that you have tried.

Took me 4 years to decide on right model I wanted and to find a good one. I bought a N&B Arto 6 years old with 16,500 miles, privately, 11 years ago for £26,500 and still very pleased with it.

Keep the research going - there will be a glaring light at the end of the tunnel - if it does not seem like the right one walk away. There are many on forums who have changed twice in the first 5 years - expensive, particularly if you buy and sell through dealers.

Good luck with research, and then looking, and then buying.

Geoff

OP
OP
Grumpyfrog
Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
Thanks Geoff.
Great advice especially re. payload.
We did exactly as you suggested when buying our last caravan. Being completely built using "plastic composite panel" type construction, it made it heavy. In fact after weighing, heavier than was advertised. We liked it however and bought it. The weight didnt matter so much when you have a large Volvo estate hooked up to it, loaded with stuff that should have been in the c/van.
It is obviously a bit different with a M.H.
More research required and a little more patience. :giggle:

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Bought first MH the day before lockdown. No regrets. Had seven or eight separate breaks. Yes not the full start we expected but given the shortages and prices of MH’s think we were very lucky. As full UK adult vaccination programme expected to run until September, travelling by plane this year could still be tricky, pricy and crowded. So if you see the right van go for it in my opinion but don’t be ripped off.

Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
Welcome. As a newby of 2years ago by far the best bit of advice we got from here was to rent a couple of different types (PVC, A class) etc. Having hired 3 vans for a total of 6 weeks our view of how we would use the MH and where we would use it changed completely as did our choice of class and layout.

We started out wanting a 7.5 meter A class Hymer with Twin bed layout and ended up with a 4x4 7M Mercedes sprinter PVC with a single bed. With money in the bank there is an urge to spend it....resist and rent....it will save you a fortune in the long run AND you have fun testing.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Welcome to fun. Probably the best place to chat and find out answers to most of your Motorhome problems (and for some, non Motorhome problems 🤣) anywhere.

I think that you’ve made the right decision.
If you’ve find your chosen Motorhome prior to making this decision, just keep an eye on it by checking up on it every now and then to ensure it’s still for sale.
At the same time, you’ve got the luxury of running through your wish list to keep searching for an alternative or one with more gadgets already fitted.
Once Covid lockdown and restrictions are lifted - and my guess is late April/May, I think dealers and private sellers will be desperate to secure a sale.
That said, the BBC ran an article this week stating that the C&MC are predicting the highest demand for staycation and site availability ever once things settle. However, the club is mainly looking at Caravaners as that’s their bread & butter.
I think you’ll get a good deal when you come to part with your cash.
If there’s any disappointment, be prepared to walk away as there will be plenty of competition for you to choose from. Good luck. Exciting times. Keep us all posted!

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
:welcome4:
Use this time wisely. The forum is a gold mine of information, ask questions no matter how trivial they may seem, it's so important to get the layout that you're comfortable with and have sufficient payload to make the most of your van. (y)

Squeak

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Early in 2020 we made the decision to buy a motorhome after a lifetime of tents, trailer tents and caravans.
We did as much research both online and at dealerships to narrow our search and to establish some idea of what we favoured.
The money was in the bank, we had both retired, all we had to do was make up our minds and go for it.
Then Covid and lockdown came along.
I saw little point in going ahead, buying a motorhome, taxing and insuring it just to look at it on the drive.
For now, that part of our future plan is on hold.

So I have done the next best thing.
Join Motorhome fun, so at least I can read and talk with a lot of other members in the same boat!
Hello, enjoy the banter 😊

Aug 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugot Boxer
Exp
Early in 2020 we made the decision to buy a motorhome after a lifetime of tents, trailer tents and caravans.
We did as much research both online and at dealerships to narrow our search and to establish some idea of what we favoured.
The money was in the bank, we had both retired, all we had to do was make up our minds and go for it.
I saw little point in going ahead, buying a motorhome, taxing and insuring it just to look at it on the drive.

Join Motorhome fun, so at least I can read and talk with a lot of other members in the same boat!
Welcome from another newbie

bri

Oct 2, 2020
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR BENIVAN 122

Helo and welcome ,we are new to this site and found it to be great and helpful . Bought our MH a few months ago so we could have a few day trips, and have our own things around us .We have also been caravans and tents looking forward to been able to get out . Good Luck.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Again, welcome, but also offering the contradictory viewpoint. The less you know, the more you'll need to spend time familiarising yourself to your van, and M.Homing in general. We also bought recently, But I have been able to spend the [ idle] time fitting additional locks, having the garage chassis upgraded, and a weight upgrade. I've been out in the van every weekend on the drive fitting additional sockets,a safe, and generally bespoking the van to our anticipated usage. It's now all serviced and ready to hit the [ open? ] road. Learning how to load it, and sorting all the required umbilical hook ups has taken a while. The next thing is fitting a 12/240v TV.
Not knowing anything means it has sometimes frustratingly taken much longer to do seemingly simple jobs, but I now know for instance that Hymer use reverse colour way on their wiring, [ Blue is the + Brown is - in a black sleeving for all 12v applications ] whereas the mains [240v] is traditional colours [ Blue is - Brown is +] but in a white sleeving!!!
Also waiting for some other bit's and pieces to arrive that should ease usage when were allowed out to play again.
So it's now more or less ready, but with a list of possible future upgrades that could be fitted if we feel they are needed.
Good luck.
Mike

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Oh yes!
That reminds me, did l say that I WOULD NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM CAMPBELLS OF PRESTON
:rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back