Waxoyl treatment (where)

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by finby, Oct 5, 2009.

1. finby

finby Read Only Funster

Does anyone know of a Waxoyl treatment centre anywhere in Norfolk or surrounding counties? Ive tried Googling it and could only find a place in Northumberland and one in Hertfordshire.
    Thanks
    Martin

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

have you tried any local body repair shops.

if they dont do it they may know of a local garage that does.

3. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Try contacting Waxoyl direct and ask them.

Waxoyl Switzerland

Alternatively you could save yourself a fortune by sticking this number in eBay....170342902469 and doing it yourself. Its in Norfolk.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

unfortunately its abit of a diy product. used by many garages probably the best protection you can have. there as been mobile waxoilers but there as been lots of complaining about quality of the fiished job. i think you will find it hard these days to find anyone, but i could be wrong. try your local garage ask if they dont i,m sure they will put you in the right direction . depends if you want warranty. cheers alan.

6. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Quite agree Alan - there are many people who spray waxoil - generally where it can be seen - trouble is the rust happens where it cannot be seen - Some so called treated land rovers I have seen prove it is easy to rip the unwary off. There is a guy I think under the name of before and after that offers a warrant to his work and he has been around for at least 10 or 15 years to my knowledge - worth paying the extra and travelling for a good job.

7. St.Cyr

St.Cyr Read Only Funster

We've used Waxoyl for years on all our vehicles and have always applied it ourselves. Most motor-factors stock it in gallon cans. When we bought our 1st can yonks ago it came with a spray thingy that screwed into the top of the can. it eventually died of plastic-fatigue but since then we've used a garden-spray, the sort with the plunger on top which pressurises the container slightly. With the nozzle you can reach most areas. For doing inside sills & box sections you can use a length of plastic tube with the end blocked off & a small hole or two an inch or so from the end, pull the trigger as you withdraw the tube & it sprays over all the inside of the item. You just need to warm the can up a little & it sprays fine. Best of all it's not a dirty job and apparently it's good for the skin, lol! :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

back along there was some pictures on this site about someone doing or not doing a proper job .bit of searching required i think.

9. Bulletguy

By far the best warranty is doing it yourself. That way you know whats been done and what bits you missed. As 'landy lover' points out, many of the 'professional' will spray it where it can be seen by the customer. What they eye does not see (or cannot see) will be the places where the rust develops.

Of course 'diy' depends more on physical ability than money in your pocket.

Seem to remember a post on here a while back which was a right horror story of a guy who had his motorhome waxoyled. Luckily he drove it home in the dry and bothered to get underneath and look. It was a fine example of shoddy workmanship so he took photographs of it and threatened the garage that if they did not rectify the matter, he would post the photos on the internet.

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

thats the one bulletguy cant remember quite when it was can you. not that far back i think.

11. Bulletguy

I just remember he'd taken photos of areas where it was clearly visible the waxoyl had not been sprayed...totally bare metal. Very clear photos too. Can't remember the guys id name unfortunately.

12. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

The story you refer to is HERE
    but unfortunately he's allowed the domain with the pics on to expire:Doh:

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

There is a guy that always takes full page adverts in magazines advertising his underseal services. (Before and After I think) At the bottom of the page there is a warning not to sleep in the motorhome for 2 weeks after using the underseal, so don't do it just before a trip!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Spoil Sport - many people pay a lot of money to get that high :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Seriously thought that is a good point if nothing else it can give a stinking headache and there is a fair risk of fire or explosion if care is not taken

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bulletguy

Pity that.....but at least i see he is still active having made a post only yesterday.

16. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

The same guy in the horror story:Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!::Eek!:

17. Edgie

Edgie Read Only Funster

Mmmm what do I say? - No Comment! however, he is right in that you do not want to sleep in it for a fortnight, it STINKS!!! you will be as high as a kite..

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

try telling us the truth .did you get anywhere complaining. would you have it done again . would you just do it yourself n save a few bob even if you cant get every where.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Edgie

Edgie Read Only Funster

Ok

Did I get anywhere complaining = No

Would I have the chassis Waxoyled again = Yes

Would I do it myself = No

20. Bulletguy

Any particular reason, after your 'experience'?

Waxoyling is a really simple job as long as you are well prepared and have the entire underbody steam cleaned first. Ideally you need a warm dry day and wear protective clothing, a decent face mask, and goggles or safety glasses.

Done many cars back in my days of tinkering and as for the smell, i can think of a lot worse like those spray shit things folk use to make the interior 'smell nice' because they don't know how to open a window!