waterless Polish good or bad

Discussion in 'How To' started by lewend, Oct 16, 2015.

1. lewend

lewend Funster

Hi all our van is not as shiny as we would like we have been looking at a waterless Polish like options on best polish to use

2. Speve

Speve Funster

I have just done ours with Autoglym resin polish it's very easy to use and leaves a nice shine.the water just pills off of the surface.
    Also used showroom shine dry wash which is also good and easy to use am going to use that when out and about to save water.

3. arao99

arao99 Funster

I've used waterless for a few years now its fantastic!

• Like Like x 1
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

6. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Waterless wash solutions do not clear the surface before washing takes place.

So all the dust and road grime is pushed around the surface which inflicts swirling and the light scratches ...
    Honestly it's just expensive rubbish...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I can't understand how SRP is shedding water.

SRP is a polish not a wax or sealant so leaves absolutely no protectant on the surface whatsoever ! It can't as there are no ingredients in it to enable it to do so.

SRP is a very very low cut polish and contains fillers which when polishing makes swirling less obvious. But it's because is filling the swirls rather than removing them. Result is is that when the polish is removed by washing the vehicle or rain the swirls become obvious again.

There is a thread here somewhere that explains the difference between a polish and a wax or sealant .

If we were to take a vehicle that has been waxed and polish it with SRP the SRP would remove any wax applied.

It's that low a cut its often used as a paint cleanser .

• Like Like x 2
  8. Speve

Speve Funster

I used SRP first and then applied the Autoglym resin so that I had a clean surface to put it onto.
    Now that you have told me this I will not use SRP on the top of resin unless I feel it needs to be cut back.
    Thanks for the advice

9. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Confused.... SRP is Super Resin Polish.....

There is another Autoglym product called Extra gloss protection..

The latter is a sort of sealant. It does have some protection but it doesent last very long unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Speve

Speve Funster

Sorry if I am being thick, Am I correct in thinking That after putting Autoglym super Resin on I need to seal it with something else?

11. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Super Resin Polish is just that a polish. So after either using is as a paint cleanser of a light polish yes you should wax or seal the surface..
    No such thing as thick my friend it's just understanding the vast array of products and it's so easy to get confused.

I grew up being called thick but now they call it dyslexic. Mmmmmm

• Like Like x 6
  12. Speve

Speve Funster

Thanks for that Charlie.
    I've just found this on Autoglym site.
    Super Resin Polish is suitable for all types and colours of paint. Light scratches, swirls, stains and scuffs vanish leaving your paintwork like new. It restores gloss to dull surfaces, is simple to use and will never dry hard or become difficult to remove.

Super Resin Polish can be used on both new and old paintwork, it doesn't have to be in poor condition. A light coating will improve the condition of any vehicle.

Super Resin Polish is a legend in the world of car care and you will find a bottle on the shelf in any true car enthusiast's garage.

Pro Tip: If Super Resin Polish is used, there is no need to use Ultra Deep Shine as well.

13. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Alan please do not believe the manufacturers hype.

Super Resin Polish really is an ultra low cut polish.

It is capable of removing the light scratches and swirls. Swirls are of course just light scratches usually inflicted by poor washing practices.

Once you have polished with SRP the surface will need waxing or sealing so as to protect the surface from the muck and grime and all the crap that gets on our vehicles.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Juts to re cap and maybe clarify.

SRP whilst being a polish is one that had so little cut it is really only of use as a paint cleanser.

We might use a paint cleanser to remove road grime and the usual contaminants before we apply a wax or sealant.

As a polish not only is SRP lacking in cut so therefore very slow it contains fillers which hide the swirls and/or light scratches we are looking to remove.

It's actually ideal for making a poor paint surface look good perhaps before selling it.

If I were presented with a swirled car to correct the paint and by that I mean remove all swirls light scratches and marks inflicted upon it SRP would be the last polish I would use as its ultra low cut would mean extremely slow progress and the blooming fillers would be a pain.

If the same car was being prepared for say an auction sale SRP would be ace.

No matter what we polish though it's very desirable to apply a water shedding product to keep muck from sticking and help the dreaded black streaks at bay in the case of our motor homes.

This can only be done with a wax or sealant.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Speve

Speve Funster

Thanks@charlie that been a really useful thread to me and I Should imagine many other readers I take your advice seriously and will try and give the van a waxing before it gets dirty again.another couple of days arm ache!

• Like Like x 1
  16. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

17. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Not sure how it can bead but maybe it alters the way rain sits as the surface has become slicker ??

In you link it says under Cons how the product fills ... Again this may explain why water is sheeting off ?

Let's be honest here SRP aid dead old fashioned today though it still can be a viable and useful product. Just outdated by modern polishes.

18. CeeJay13

CeeJay13 Read Only Funster

In my little understanding, the smoother the surface - the more the liquid will bead. Just because water beads on a surface doesn't mean to say that surface is protected, just smooth. The smoother, the beadier (new word!).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Charlie

Charlie Funster

This is water beading on a waxed surface.
    [​IMG]

This picture shows the results of using water less products. Note the swirling and light scratches.
    [​IMG]

Paint corrected using Menzerna polishes. Japanese paint is very soft so light cut polishes are the order of the day.
    [​IMG]

Another swirled panel..
    [​IMG]

Corrected.
    [​IMG]

Putting waterless products on any surface that has not been cleaned and rubbing them around will create a cutting paste. That paste will inflict the damage to whatever surface you are cleaning. The result will be exactly the same as in the pictures above..

• Like Like x 3
  20. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Is or should this thread be in the Detailing section ?

Its a wee bit confusing .

• Like Like x 1