Water

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Mike foster, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Mike foster

Mike foster Funster

Being a complete novis at motorhomes I need to ask a silly question, I have bought a 40 litre aqua roll to fetch the water and I am told there is a water tank onboard, question how do I get the water in to the tank, no way I can lift 40 litres of water.

2. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

You have just found out that motorhoming is not like caravanning. The tank on our motorhome holds enough water for at least 3 days. We fill it with a hose usually, either at dedicated motorhome points on sites or wherever we can find a tap. I have a 30m hose on a reel, along with a shorter length that I can use if I am right next to the tap. Otherwise we have a watering can for a few trips to the tap.

We are now thinking of doing what some others do and getting a submersible pump so that we can used a wheeled water container (probably a Fiamma one because it will take up less room in the garage of our motorhome) so that we can pump water up into the external filler point.

3. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

As above. My MH has a small 2 pin round electric socket next to the water inlet, I plug in a 12vt submersible pump and the water then transfers from container to onboard tank. However this is only when I travel with someone that has a large water container as I dont waste valuable space carting one around. Hose and watering can or similar (I use a plastic 5 ltr petrol can) is the way to go unless you have bags of storage.

4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Cruisers

The Cruisers Funster

We've got a 12v submersible pump that fits into the cigarette lighter then into the water barrel if we need it. Probably only used it a couple of time as we have found we don't really have room for the water barrel. We usually fill up or at least fill half the tank before leaving home and find that it usually lasts the weekend. If not a watering will top it up.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I've watched people filling with bottles , watering cans etc .. even seen a guy empty his grey waste with a watering can.. same one he had used for filling.. :rolleyes:

I use an Aguarolll with a pump.. I plug it into the ciggy socket in the cab..

also have a Wastemaster for grey waste but appreciate that not everyone has the space to carry ..

A hose is the easiest way to fill, but if a tap is not within reach, having an alternative filling method saves having to move......

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Same here except I plug into a Hella socket in the kitchen area.

8. Mike foster

Mike foster Funster

Thanks sounds like a small pump is the way to go

9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

10. beejay

beejay Funster

We are complete beginners too, will pick up our first motorhome at the end of September. We thought we'd start with a hose and water container. Can anyone recommend best length of hose and fittings to start us off. We can then learn as we go along what else would be good to have

11. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I have 2 curly hides that I can join giving me theoretically 30m of reach.. although I bought cheap and if I stretch that far it will take a week before I can fit it back under the driving seat. We try and fill before we go as we only have 10 gallons on board and lots of payload.. that usually lasts us a weekend but if on longer trips we just fill up as often as we can.. basically every time we move the van

12. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

Water is heavy so you may not have enough payload to travel with a full tank. I think our fresh tank holds 180 ltr but expect to leave almost empty when first stop will be on site. If first nighting on an aire would carry more just in case.

As newcomers this year we have

Curly wurly hose, 15m max
    Normal garden hose (plenty of that in stock in shed) 10 - 12m
    Watering can (11 ltr)
    Selection of hoselock fittings (borrowed from garden shed) inc. spare "o" rings
    Plastic bucket for grey water

This is all subject to an end of term review.

Sorry if the above is stating the obvious to you old hands.

13. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

We find the water tastes funny when you use garden hose but that after a few folks the taste goes.. there are allegedly food grade hoses that some day don't have the funny taste but as they are outrageously expensive we haven't bothered.

I regurlarly break hoselock connections because I am heavy handed so I carry a few spares.. especially the one for joining two hoses together.

14. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

We boil the water from our tank if intending to drink it. Living in rural France our mains water often tastes "odd" or possibly "bovine" so drinking water comes from the Aldi source so it is no real hardship to do the same in the MH,

15. TerryL

TerryL Funster

One hosepipe that flattens and winds into a cassette - 20m I think; doesn't get used very often. Lots of different connectors.
    Two lengths of plastic food grade pipe, one about 2m the other about 5m, with a rubber cone-type connector, which roll up and can be stored out of the way.
    One long spout watering can which seems to be used most often as I never seem to be able to park near a tap.

For the waste I use a black plastic "jerrycan", the one with two filler holes (one on the aside) - holds 25litres.

We tend not to drink straight from the tank, even though we know it's clean; use bottled water instead.

16. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Forget the water container and drive to the tap unless you expect not to move for a few days and put an awning up!

• Like Like x 1
  17. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

As said above I have a 30m hose. Used to have a 20m one but got fed up not quite reaching the tap! It is food grade and bought from Ebay. I use it with a standard through feed plastic hose reel, so can just pull out the amount I need. I also have a short length of hose which can go from the reel to the filler point if I put the reel next to the motorhome (if the area around the tap looks "iffy") or from the reel to the tap otherwise.

Use standard hozelock type fittings to join things together (cheap versions from Ebay fit) and also have threaded tap adaptors for 1/2", 3/4" and 1" tap threads. You will need spare adaptors because you will forget and leave one on the tap and drive off occasionally! For some odd reason almost all the taps on the continent have imperial threads so these adaptors are good for most taps in Europe. You should also include a universal type adaptor for the occasional non-threaded tap you come across.

18. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I always drive with full tanks as you never know when you find a place to park up for a few days.
    When water is available I top up daily with two watering cans. Use roughly 20 litres a day with showering, washing up and loo.
    I carry 190 litres in the van.
    I also have a long flat hosepipe just in case.

• Like Like x 1
  19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the handiest bit of hose is one about 4 -5ft long with a rubber push on tap conector . bit like an old twintub washing machine tap connector . then you can fill from basins or awkward taps in awkward places . use a watering can or a 10-20 ltr water container .
    having talked with loads of locals throughout europe . they hate to see hosepipes being used to fill m,homes .
    i think they think you are taking thousands of ltrs . but a watering can /container you arent taking much so its ok. even if you take a few , because you use effort its ok.

• Like Like x 1
  20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you still have the receipt for your Aquaroll I suggest trying to get your money back! Yes, some folk use them and you have had suggestions from them on how to use it - with a pump. But the majority of motorhomers in my experience do not us an Aquaroll. They use a hosepipe for when they can get close to a tap and something like a watering can for when they can't. Of course it depends how big your onboard water tank is. If it is humungous then a watering can won't be much use so you should stick with the hose. On our 'van I use collapsible buckets and a funnel for those times a hosepipe is not practical - such as when parked up on a site for a few days and I can't be bothered to move the vehicle to the service point.

• Like Like x 1