Water tank

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Tecnikal, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Tecnikal

Tecnikal Read Only Funster

Hi, I have a 60L water tank. When filling up the water tank ... When it gets near the top I expect it to spit out of the fill hole once it is full and that's how I know it is full, but is it usual for water to pour out from underneath the vehicle as well?

I assume this is coming out from the top of the water tank underneath the motorhome once it is full.

So my question is, Is this supposed to be a sealed unit, in which case the hose may be split or loose going into the tank, or does the tank have an overflow so that when you fill it up it is allowed to run out of the top of the tank as well as the hole you are filling it up from.

I don't seem to have any problems with it so just wanted to check if this was normal?

Many thanks.
    Brian.

2. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

It's most likely that the water is coming out of the overflow,same as mine,completely normal:Smile:

3. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

The top of the tank is probably vented and water comes out of there first before it come out higher up the filler cap it does on mine and did on my last van

4. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

It is most likely that the tank has an over fill pipe which takes any excess water and disposes of it outside the vehicle.

The other option is the water heater drain valve is open and water is flowing out of there, worth checking out.

5. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

On my LMC I made the assumption that the water running out under van was from overflow. But,on looking at top of tank I found that where the level indicator went into the tank,and where the overflow pipe came out,the sealant had failed. Re-sealed both :BigGrin:
    all ok:thumb:
    Might be worth a look.
    Mike

6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

On mine it's an overflow pipe, though if you're filling it fast it may blow back out of the filler as well.

7. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

The air that's in the tank, that the water displaces, has got to come out somewhere and so, eventually, will water. Mine is vented on top of the tank like, it would appear, yours is.

8. Tecnikal

Tecnikal Read Only Funster

Thanks

Thanks to all. Sounds like it is probably ok then. However when I get it checked over I'll ask them to have look to make sure everything is ok.

Many thanks.

Brian.