water pump questions

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by SC 05 OUT, Apr 7, 2013.

1. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Last week my water pump stopped working, it would “hunt” with no water coming out of the taps or “run on” after the taps were closed. I had a look and felt drips coming from the pump head main body. As we were touring in the lakes I dropped into a local service company who had a pump in stock and fitted it for me. All seems well the pump is working 100% ok but on getting home I noticed the new pump (a shurflo) is rated with a pressure switch of 45psi whilst the old pump was only 20psi (it was a posiflo make). As everything seems to working ok should I concerned at the different psi rating?

Looking at the old pump there is scaling or staining coming from 3 or more places between the main joint. I presume air has been getting in here and causing the problem, is it worth reconditioning this pump? Is it just a clean out and make a new seal job or is them more to it. I noticed new heads are not much cheaper than a new pump.

2. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

It sounds to me like the new pump is just better. You'll probably find the shower runs more powerfully. However, there is a slight chance the higher pressure will find leaks elsewhere. 45psi is 3 bar, which is at the expensive end of typical values for a house shower pump.

I wouldn't bother fixing the old one myself.

3. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

thanks for that info, I allways though the pressure referd to the drop needed to activate the pump, not the amount of pressure the pump produces in throughput of water.

it has worked fine for a nearly a week with no leaks Ive noticed and no running of the pump without activation so i suppose all is well.

anybody want a pump motor?

4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Yes please:thumb:

5. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

pm replyed to

6. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

ok here's the situation, Brian ( I cant remember) whould like my old water pump, hes going to Peterbourgh, Im not unfortunatly but I will be going to Clumber park CC site next weekend, so if anybody could pick it up form me and pass it on, it would be a FUNSTER recyle thing.

I'll be leaving south Doncaster Friday 1:30 to 2:30 ish, arriving a Cp CC site about a hour later, can body help out

CANCLE that, just realised Peterourgh is not nextweekend, but the weekend after,

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  7. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

all sorted, funster taxi service strikes again,many thanks to Dave (manda3000gt) for helping out:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  8. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Yep, excellent how this international networking system can help :thumb:
    Many thanks to both Phil & Dave

• Like Like x 2