water ingress in LHD transit mk7 passenger footwell

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ponyboy, Jul 26, 2013.

1. ponyboy

ponyboy Read Only Funster

hi funsters, I've just discovered that the mat in the passenger side footwell is absolutely soaked with water. Not sure how long it's taken for it to become so saturated as it's a thick absorbent base with rubber matting on top. The door seals are fine but the insulation cladding around the base of the central part of the dash is also wet and it looks like the water's been dripping down from there. I've had a look on fordtransit forum but haven't been able to glean much there regarding that area of the cab. Anyone had this problem? - advice very much appreciated.

2. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Just a thought

Have you checked the seal around the windscreen. I am no mechanic but I had a car years ago where water was on the floor and it turned out the rubber seal around the window needed replacing and that was the cause of the water in the car.

I had dismissed the rubber windscreen seal because of the location of the pool of water but apparently there was a groove the water ran down causing the pool of water.

Good luck with this. I am sure a more experienced funster will come along with some more expert suggestions soon

3. laneside

laneside Funster

Almost certainly there will be a drain on the bulkhead under the bonnet, possibly with a flattened rubber end on and it drains the scuttle. Just check that it is not full of old leaves

• Like Like x 1
  4. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Heater Matrix leaking most likely - behind centre dash. The carpet will get wet/leave water marks on the matting from the centre of the dash base, leading outwards.

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Read Only Funster

problem solved - thx everyone

yep - scuttle was ok, windscreen seals ok and also heater ok. turned out to be the aircon outlet pipe was toooooo short and wasn't clearing the bulkhead properly resulting in it draining back inside the cab. have made up an extension pipe and am happily watching it drip out through the engine space now. Handy to know about yhe other possible problems and thanks again for advice which might be needed in the future

6. Bennyheaven

Bennyheaven Read Only Funster

Transit water leak

Look behind front door pillar plastic covers near windscreen.possible leak in corner under windscreen top rubber running down pillar onto floor.ive got a mk6 and that was where mind had a leaked.alll the best. Terry

7. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Blocked aircon evaporator drain hose?
    There will be a lot of water being produced in your ventilation system in this weather!

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i had the exact same fault with my nissan navara. the condensation hose was not long enough to pass through the bulkhead, so it ran down behind the carpet inside. fixed under warranty