Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
This is our first long trip (into 3rd week) in our MH
Normally only weekends and it gets washed when we get back home BUT what do you do when touring ?? The MH is almost black instead of white
All sites we have stayed on say NO washing allowed ??
Has anyone used one of the hand car wash set ups that I see everywhere, do not have then up with us

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
A good wax polish applied before you leave should last you for your holiday.. And also allow easy cleaning with a jet wash or similar tbh

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Ed just gets a bucket got a expanding handle brush and gives it a wash, especially to get rid on any fly's.

Ed does not go a lot on jobs worth on some of these sites I just get my:hardhat::Blush: and hope for the best on sites when he thinks the van needs a quick once over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
park by a stream or river somewhere quiet . even know a few that use a power wash and genny . but you can always find a quiet place to clean up. bit like doing the washing . find a nice out of the way place and do it .

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Us CL's - they are often small, 5 van sites who will welcome you. If you ask the owner if they mind you washing off your van, the majority would be quite happy - it looks better to have clean vans on their sites!

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Waterless clean and wax. Frightening in theory, wonderful in use.

I use this all the time when travelling. Spray on, remove with microfibre cloth; does not scratch. Source on ebay.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Anyone who has seen my van at the shows will know my method.....

Don't wash it.
a) It only gets dirty again
b) After 6 weeks it doesn't get any worse so you can relax

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PS: Have to admit I did wash one panel on one side 2 days ago as it looks like the local seagull gang had been at the curry house the night before and had a case of nasty runs as they passed over my van. They literally painted a square meter completely with turds. Unfortunately it was the square meter with a window in it. I opened my blinds and still couldn't see out....:Doh:
I hated washing that bit cause now I have a clean spot and will have to wait a few weeks for it to get back to it's grubby normal colour.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
our van got splattered in mud on a recent trip when a very helpful neighbour tried to free us from being sunk up to the axles by towing us with his transit van. the motorhome was that bad that just getting in or out of the cab we got dirty.

so despite misgivings, we pulled into a hand car wash in an old petrol station. they actually did an excellent job and 2 polish guys spent 1/2 an hour washing and waxing the bodywork and cleaning the glass. the price for this was just £15 so I made it up to £20 as a tip for doing such a good job. whilst we were there several more cars pulled in for a wash with one chap asking if they did caravans too. So maybe it was a good bit of advertising on their part showing that they will clean more than just cars.

all i know for sure is that i will be making use of their services again... much less agro than a broom and bucket on site

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Washing

I ask the site owners - have only had one refusal. Usually, I wash it on the motorhome service point although one site had a large compound full of bins and so on, so they asked me to back into there - it had a tap too!

We can usually get away with a quick fettle though. We have a Hozelock portable shower thing (7 litres) and that, with one bucket of warm water will usually do a quick fettle. I think site owners get "tetchy" about gallons of water being dumped onto pitches etc, but we use very little.

Russell

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Said it before.. Tescos ! My local one charges £20 but our van is pretty big !

While they do it I wander off and get a £2.80 full english in the Tescos cafe bit.. By the time I am surfeited the van is all nice and clean !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back