Wales

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Mike B, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Mike B

Mike B Funster

It seems that Dawn has never been to Wales, and we will soon be reaching that time of year when you start to consider next year's trips.

For those who have been or live in Wales, where should we go and why, and in which order.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Anglesey - so much history, beautiful beaches and no traffic jams!

• Like Like x 6
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

Get to Shell Island quickly -you can join your mate Joy for the weekend ;):Dfrom van,Grass field 10ft to a 8ft bank,scramble down onto beach-50 yds ish to water another 150 to dolphins (y)
    terry

4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Start at one end and work your way to the other end and you won't be disappointed, it's a brilliant country with so much history.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Iola

Iola Read Only Funster

Re Anglesey . . you can park overnight on Lligwy Beach, officially £10 per night, beautiful place, but beware if the wind shifts to an Easterly .. if you go there, recommend you go via Moelfre, the road is better. You can also visit the site of the new lifeboat station under construction .. long lifeboat heritage in Moelfre.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

Cardiff is "probably" the best city in the world - after that get yourself down to the Pembrokeshire coast and work up from there depending on how much time you have got

• Like Like x 3
  7. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Beautiful places from Anglesey down to the Gower.
    I love Hay, but have also stayed at Cwmcuttan ( very pretty site, you can stop the train at the nearby halt) and can also recommend Bedgellert farther north.
    Everywhere along the coast seems to have stunning beaches. Portmadoc shown in my photo. Travelled with the 2 dogs on steam train from Bedgellert. The train stops at the site.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

Go to Pembrey country park, and Burry Port, great cycling in the Coastal Park, night stop at the Burry Port marina for £7 or pitch in the park £15, even better come to the meet at the end of this month.(y)

9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

North Wales - Barmouth (including cycling the Mawddach estuary trail), Harlech, Porthmeirion, Porthmadog (including Ffestiniog railway), Glaslyn estuary around Borth-y-gest, A5 from Betwys-y-Coed towards Anglesey through the Ogwen Valley. On the Lleyn Peninsula try Abersoch, Hell's Mouth, Aberdaron, Whistling Sands (Porth Oer). For scenery on the way there hang a right as you enter Bala from the direction of the A5 and take the scenic road to Trawsfynedd (or back the other way).

Pembrokeshire Coast National Park - anybloodywhere, it's all lovely, especially Marloes Sands and Skomer Island.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Phill D

Phill D

where do you want to start!

LLyn peninsular / Cricceith / portmirion; Mawrddach estuary / Barmouth; Cardigan bay / Mwnt / Porth Clais / Blue lagoon; North Pembrokeshire coast / St Davids / Marloes / Solva; South Pembrokshire coast / Freshwater West / Angle / Broad haven / St Govans head / Barafundle bay / stack pole quay / Freshwater East ' tenby & Saundersfoot / Pendine;

thats a few for starters and does not include inland areas like the Elan valley. or many many more.

how long you got? what do you like? which part of Wales? (y)

• Like Like x 3
  11. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

I think it depends on how long for, fun and frolics, food and wine, beach and bugger all, kids or no kids, quiet and peaceful, away from it all etc, etc, etc, can't disagree with anything that's been said. Had 4 nights in Abersoch in July, stayed in a small field in a certified location .8 mile outside of the town (Bonlondeb) One toilet, one shower, quiet and peaceful but lovely walk down through the golf club or along the beach about 25 to 45 mins depending on ability, all downhill, and £4 in a taxi back after a meal and a beer (with the dog and missus) met up with my son and daughter in law each day (and four grandkids) swam in the sea (warmest I've ever know the sea in UK) made sandcastles and did gymnastics (them not me I hasten to add)
    Loads of great places, personally, I'm in Ross on Wye at moment and had the most lovely curry in a Gurkha restaurant last night, so good I'm going again tonight!! But then that's my thang!! Which brings me on to another subject, is there any resource on MHF which pulls together all the good places people have stayed, eaten etc listed by town, country etc. I'll start, Ross on Wye, Eating, Gurkha Restaurant Yaksnyetis, alternative type of curry, loved it. Good luck. Like everyone else I'm sure, loads more, lets start a database!!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Pembrokeshire every single time - no contest

• Like Like x 3
  13. Phill D

Phill D

Yep cant beat it; we love the area and it never ceases to amaze me how beautiful the area is :cooler:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mike B

Mike B Funster

We are limited on the amount of time we can spend away in one go to about 10 days, from the suggestions made we will probably have to do 3 x 10 day trips to give a decent go at it.

[​IMG]

15. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Where on earth do you start???? Some of my favourite places but I'll miss out far more than I list:

Llandudno
    Denbigh
    Ruthin
    St Asaph
    Bala
    Shell Island
    Anglesea
    Conwy
    Carew
    St David's
    Carmathen
    The Gower
    Nant Eos
    Llangollen - especially the road to World's End where there is an old Tudor house (private) where Queen Elizabeth I is romoured to have given birth to Thomas Seymour's child. I love a mystery.
    Usk
    Brecon

• Like Like x 2
  16. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Had a couple of nights here:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dolaucothi-gold-mines/

As NTS members we got a discount on camping so it was very reasonable. No showers or toilets but EHU and grey waste / cassette empty point..... also campers get free admission to the mine, there are two different tours and you can pan for gold.

Highly recommended.

17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I like Pembrokshire, It's like Cornwall, but the locals actually appreciate the tourists ;)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

The trouble is Jim there isn't much business sense down there.

They don't extract enough cash from these tourists.

• Like Like x 1
  19. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

If you only have short time ..... Pembrokeshire. St Davids, Solva, St Govans Chapel, Bosherston lily ponds, Barafundle Bay, Tenby etc. Lots of seal pups this time of year too :)

20. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Hope Dawn enjoyed Pembrey. Wonderful weather, great show and you had a fantastic Welsh neighbour;)

Ps just noticed the op date:doh: