Waiting and wondering

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Philh, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Philh

Philh Funster

Waiting for delivery of a Bessacarr E560 I have been looking around what I need. So far I have got up to

Alarm - one that works off the central locking
    Cycle rack for 2 bikes
    Double din sat nav
    Awning sides
    2 bikes for the bike rack
    Waste hose
    Levellers
    Television

It's already got the reverse camera and tv arial, "free" from dealer. We have organised secure indoor storage locally.

I have already booked into sites over the big Easter double weekend and we
    plan to go to Croatia in the summer

I am interested in opinions on what I should have and what other newbies did while waiting

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Waste hose ????

for what purpose please.

more important would be a hose to fill, not empty, and a selection of tap adaptors. unless you dont mind packing away just to drive to a tap to refill. :Doh:

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

You got it about right, maybe some camping chairs for siiting in the sun, all available with Funsters discount:thumb:

Don't forget plates, cups, cutlery etc and if your a real Funster the Beer glasses.

Peter

4. coldstreamer

coldstreamer Funster

Coldstreamer

Hi Philh,
    The most important single item in a van is 'Power,' check how many batteries, what size and don't forget the bigger the van the bigger the demand.
    I would suggest, decent Solar Panel at least three leisure batteries and a 1000 watt inverter.
    I have a Hymer swing, fairly small van, I have added the above to all our vans and never needed a hook-up in 15 years, winter or summer.
    As a project while your waiting try and calculate how much power you will use in 24 hrs, i.e. Water pump for taps and shower, lights are they low power. Televsion and all the bits yoou need. Will you manage just on 12volt?? Winter time is the killer for power, try running your heater for 4 hrs and you soon knock the batteries down.
    All that is part of the fun and excitement, its a great learning curve.
    Lots of Luck and enjoy, Mac

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Forgot, you will need a mains hook uip lead and a continental connector for Croatia plus food grade water hose plus a gas bottle, we normally give newbies a starter pack to get them going.

When you collect your van make sure on handover that all the appliances/heating are demonstrated to you and are actually working,

Good luck and happy travels

Peter

6. WillH

WillH Funster

Watering can for filling up and bucket for emptying, recliners, ale & wine.

Rgds
    Bill

7. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Welcome, Phil and brood!!

Suggestions:

1 Don't buy anything much more till you've got some experience. It's easy to get carried away.

2 In particular, think carefully about solar bits and pieces. If you're touring with that brood, on holiday, you won't need much electricity, especially if it's sunny. If you're on campsites, your family will have much more fun mixing with locals in the bars, watching local TV!! If you're not on campsites, just enjoy each other a bit more. (I'm aware that working accountants, like lawyers, bill about 42 hours per day!)

3 Don't get more kids.

Cheers

Tony

8. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

On the domestic front, don't buy clothes hangers. They were a complete waste of time and those that weren't in use just rattled around all the time. I just take the hangers, with clothes attached, straight from the wardrobe into the MH. Who's going to take clothes off indoors and then put them back on the hangers in the MH. Bonkers! :BigGrin::BigGrin:

Ivy

9. JJ

JJ Funster

Fray Bentos Pies for those special occasions... :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

JJ

10. sedge

sedge Funster

Dunno how much storage you have but we have 2 folding buckets, one for fresh* (with a bendy funnel) and one for waste when we need to empty and can't get close enough to a drain.

* This is because it takes up a lot less room than a 'proper' bucket. But - you won't know how much you have until you pack the van up, will you?

:Doh:

If you are getting this from a dealer, you will surely get at least one gas cylinder???? - how can they demonstrate the appliances without? - they should also put some fresh water in the tank to show you how to 'bleed' the system from empty, and demo that all the taps and loo flush work properly.

Once we 'get going' any time now, we don't completely unpack the van every time so we have another eg cruet, sauces, washing up liquid, roll of bin bags, toothpaste & brushes etc etc etc in the van. We only have to top up with whatever fresh and/or frozen food we take on each trip to start us off. I also have favourite utensils (eg a tea-bag squeezer!) that I am lost without, so one in the house, one in the van.

Playing cards - and a cribbage board!

Why don't you have a nice afternoon out at a large camping shop, browse and make a shopping or 'wish' list?

11. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

I carry 2 FW hoses 1 x 12m & 1 x 30m, neither food grade as we tend to drink water from a 5ltr container. As mentioned several adaptors and the best thing we've bought in quite a while is the following which saves trying to hold the hose in the filler especially in wet weather.
    http://*********************/heoswater-blue-connection-p-156.html

I would also suggest you make up your own additional hook lead of no more than 15 metres, handy for the EHU's near MH saving flaking out the supplied lead which becomes a trip hazard.

Enjoy

For some reason post will not accept and display link so google "Outdoor Bits" and look for Heoswater Blue Connection!

12. Philh

Philh Funster

Thanks for the useful advice - it's great!

It gives me a good excuse to go and spend money!:thumb:

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Not sure but i think the link is to the online retail "shop" URL of the dark sides owner and is a banned link on fun.:thumb:

14. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

The most important piece of kit

A Bottle opener:thumb:

15. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

I carry a waste hose (flexible pipe). Useful if lucky enough to be on a pitch that has a service drain for grey. Saves using the folding bucket (which I also have). I don't think it would wise to use one hose for both fresh and waste purposes. :thumb:

16. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Bottle Jack
    Breaker bar
    Hi Viz vests
    Tarpaulin
    Triangle
    Torch/strobe
    Spanner for gas bottle
    1 multi screwdriver.
    Gaffa Tape (clear)

Bottle jack (or two) needs to be a large one, have a breaker bar too - punctures and blow outs happen. The vans' jack is great for a front tyre - no good for the rear - you will need a bottle jack, a large one, and a decent breaker bar.

Hi Viz vests, will stop you being squashed like a bug whilst changing it, and keeps your guard (watch keeper) safe too. Along with the triangle. The torch can help you see, leave a strobe (bicycle) light near the triangle.

Should you need the breakdown man, carry a tarp!! It will keep your family dry and out of the wind or even direct sun whilst they wait on the verge.

Spanner for gas bottle, always have a spare - use adjustable as you may need to change ends if abroad. Multi screwdriver is handy for changing hoses, tightening clips etc!

Clear gaffa in case you clip a skirt, break a window etc - keeps it intact and stops further tearing until you get home.:thumb:

17. Philh

Philh Funster

Hi all. Still waiting and only two weeks to go.:thumb:

Thanks for the great advice, it is appreciated. I have bought "stuff" that I think I need following what you all said.

Not sure about the Fray Bentos, never tried an Argentian pie before.

Sites are booked for the double Easter break and we plan to go to Croatia in July.

Fingers crossed the delivery promise is met!!!

18. peter H

peter H Funster Life Member

corkscrew and a spare

19. champers

champers Funster Life Member

A Polarity tester.. a great asset /must :thumb:when travelling abroad :thumb:

20. JayDee

JayDee Funster

When you do travel abroad there are things you must carry by law in different countries such as:

High vis. vest (one for each occupant) capable of being donned without getting out of the vehicle (France and other countries)
    I you need glasses to drive you must have a spare pair (Spain)
    You must have a warning triangle (2 in Spain)
    You must have a set of spare lamps that fit your vehicle (Lots of countries)
    Beam benders (Everywhere that drives on the right)
    If your vehicle is over 3.5 tonnes you'll need speed stickers (France)

Anywhere you go you will need a bottle opener and a corkscrew as well as glasses for drinking the necter - it's so unbecoming swigging a decent claret straight from the bottle :BigGrin:
    A basic tool kit will be handy probably no more than a couple of shifters, some screwdrivers, a stanley knife (retractable), electricians tape, a roll of gaffer tape (duct tape), a hammer
    A decent flashlight
    Lots of non slip matting (helps stop all your crocks and things rattling around in the cupboards and the grill pan making a racket in the oven)
    A decent atlas of whatever country you'll be in (sat. navs. have been known to fail)
    Folding chairs and table.
    Instead of an expensive safari room look here <http://www.mysunshade.co.uk/page4.html> You might find them adequate for your purpose.
    You might decide to put a breathable ground sheet down when you pitch up - like this, for example <http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/info_640686.html>
    Bedding is a very personal preference. There are those who use sleeping bags and those who use conventional bedding. What we do is this: we bought a quilted mattress cover the right size for the bed and cut down a duvet cover to fit it. This goes on the bed and stays there. A duvet of suitable tog and the right size is spread on top and then folded back during the day and the pillows more or less stay in place. Works very well for us, but no use if you don't have a fixed (or pull down) bed.

The one thing that nearly all new owners do though is spend lots of money on things that seem essential only to find that they hardly get used (if at all). Much more economical to wait and see if the 'must have' accessory will really be of benefit once you have started to fit in to the lifestyle.

Just a few ideas that you may (or may not) find useful.

John