South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi all

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Been a while.....again, sorry!! Last time I was on I was talking about our plans to do a self build panel van conversion. We are currently motorhome-less and it has proved a lot harder than what we thought!!

Plans have now changed, as they do. We are still going to do a conversion but not on the scale we first thought. It's going to be our VW SWB Transporter which we convert.

We've already got the vehicle as my husband is self employed and he is ready for a new work van. I thought it seems silly to sell it when could make use of it (and make a profit when we sell). It's not the ideal size as there are 5 of us but it will have to be a compromise.

We are going to be moving twice in the next 2 years or so as we do a self build house, so it seems perfect sense and more realistic to get the adventures back and family time but without the massive financial outlay.

My hubby will be doing some of the work like cutting the windows etc but we will be using a conversion company for the cabinetry as time really is of the essence to be able to get on the road asap and start enjoying some quality family time with the kids!! I am a little sad that we wont be able to use the aires in France but i'll take what I can I this moment in time!

I wish we had taken more notice of the VW conversions now at the NEC......

I would be grateful for any tips/advice, any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I think there are self build blogs and threads on the forum which may help. @Terry does vans and he may be able to advise! Good luck!(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Five of you in a small van sounds a little optimistic to me :eek: however it can be done :)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We looked at the vw van before starting our conversion, but they weren't tall enough and long enough for our requirements , so we went for an xlwb Peugeot . Are you sure you'd manage to fit 5 seated belts in one ? Never mind sleeping space?
Whilst looking for base vehicles we saw that you could get pre-made cabinets beds wardrobes and everything for the VW's already built. In what ever wood finish , worksurface etc that you wanted. Plus they had several layouts to choose from. Some really trendy high gloss brightly coloured versions as well as more traditional.
All you had to do is get them delivered to you and fix them in our van ! There are even places that do that for you , if your no good on the diy side.

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
It will be tight, but the travelling seats are sorted which would have been my main concern.

The front cab area will be sleeping for my 7 yr old, myself and hubby on rock 'n roll bed in the van or in the sleeping compartment in the drive away awning or my 2 girls either/or.

It's not my 'ideal' setup but as I say it will allow us some degree of freedom until we can get our dream :cry: Got to go with what we have at the moment!

I hope I can pick Terry's brain, he is only a few miles from me as well!

Thanks for the link!! :)

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi Bev

It already has a bench seat in the front so will have 5 seatbelts with the rock 'n roll bed/seats when it is installed.

No, it wont be long enough or tall enough lol!! But i've seen a really good drive away awning which we will have to invest in - I've not broken the news of how much it is yet! We will be like pretend motorhomers :LOL::LOL::LOL: I don't care though as long as I get some of that freedom back.

My hubster can do it himself that was the plan with the PVC but for time scale he is just going to do some of it and take it somewhere for the rest. The business is really busy at the moment so he can't really find any spare time to dedicate to it. Deffo going for the high gloss units etc they look fab!!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Once you have had a motorhome.....nothing compares ;)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
BUT , small is better than nothing .(y)
We camped in tents when the kids were young , before the caravans and motorhomes. All three children remember , and talk more fondly about the camping holidays . Using gas stoves , open fire pits, sleeping under canvas . Wearing a woolly hat to bed when it was a cold night.
Much more than the exotic holidays they were flown to. Good luck with your build. Make sure you post about it ( with pics !) on here too.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
This was one of my T4's.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It will be tight, but the travelling seats are sorted which would have been my main concern.

The front cab area will be sleeping for my 7 yr old, myself and hubby on rock 'n roll bed in the van or in the sleeping compartment in the drive away awning or my 2 girls either/or.

It's not my 'ideal' setup but as I say it will allow us some degree of freedom until we can get our dream :cry: Got to go with what we have at the moment!

I hope I can pick Terry's brain, he is only a few miles from me as well!

Thanks for the link!! :)
You can pick my brains any-time and if you are passing your welcome for coffee (y) We have done a Vito and a vivaro -One R/R BED and the other a side pull out bed -I put pics of both on here yesterday -I am sure someone will find you a link ;)I had planed to finish the Vivaro off today -only needs a couple of hours but things swiftly went sideways so never got the time so that is tomorrows job :LOL:
terry

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Morning!!

Taken our first delivery for our T5 this morning, we are so excited!!

It's the rear glass, the side windows are on back order so should be here in the next week or two. I know its only one thing but it's marks the start of the conversion (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back