VW Beetle 5th Wheel

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bashers, Nov 19, 2009.

1. bashers

bashers Read Only Funster

Notice the heavily loaded rear axle!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0"]Volkswagen Beetle & Camper - road test[/ame]

2. lorger

lorger Funster

To think when i first past my test and had my beattle i used to be lucky to fit my camping gear in it never mind having it as a 5ver.

3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

thats how that model sits anyway . always sat very high at the front. this sort of outfit si still marketed in france ,not on a swivl, its called a clip car the actual pin wt of this particular set up is only just over iookg if i remember right. i went into it years ago as a side line to my V W business in the end went the teardrop caravan route. very neat though isnt it.

4. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi chatter, you have it quite a neat system. not alot of them around but saw one this summer in roscoff. i looked t them back in the 80,s.
    the mac fersonstruts put the front of the later beetles high . torsion bar much better and stronger. dont like the cv joint back ends either swinging arm better at least you could feel it going ,on the later cvjoint style you just lost it.

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

how does that work then ?

hitching in two seperate points will make it rigid.....no way it could swivel with that van to car clearance.

7. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

I think that was the idea papajohn, with the combination being more rigid there would be no sway as the van part will follow exactly the front part so more like a motorhome and france is the country of the motorhome. Maybe these little clip-cars if they have on-board tanks can use the aires which are set up for motorhomers