Visiting Narbonne This Weekend??? Aire To Avoid.

Discussion in 'France' started by Encantador, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Narbonnette Aire is best avoided, at least for a while.

Just left there as Gypsies have moved in, 2 motorhomes, 2 folding caravans at least one van with mattresses in the back and 15-20 bodies.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Are they really that bad though? We have stayed in Aires with Gypsies and not had a problem, in fact, on one aire in the Loire, we were the only non Gypsies there and were made to feel welcome. We left with everything that we arrived with too!
    We've seen many Gypsy sites at the edges of villages where they make a living making and selling baskets and people from the villages buying them. I don't think the Gypsies in France are looked upon the same as they are in the UK.
    We visited the aire in Narbonne last February, I can't say I liked it much though, even without Gypsies, it didn't feel that safe.
    Allan

• Like Like x 2
  3. Encantador

Encantador Funster

I have no idea but there was certainly NO intention to make anyone else feel welcome.

They set themselves up so as to take far more spaces than the number of vehicles they had, parking the motorhomes horizontally across 4 spaces each. They kept walking passed our van looking in every time, they were shouting and yawping at each other from 30 yards. The amount that walked off the site and came back a few minutes later 'suggested' they had found themselves a toilet area nearby.

The only other British van said they had experienced something similar in France once before and on that occasion, many more arrived later in the day. Most of the French owners said they would leave before it got dark, and that the Police if called would do nothing.

I personally did not feel physically intimidated but would have not have had a relaxing nights sleep wondering what they were up to.

4. JJ

JJ Funster

Maybe they were relieved to see you go.

They might have thought you spoiled the ambience.

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Well we must be lucky, driving into Granville Northern France and, I tell no lie......at least 99 of our gypsy friends passed us.......going the other way.

Question: How on earth did they know I was coming to Granville?:D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Allanm

Allanm Funster

They probably read it on www.Gypsytravellerfun.fr

• Like Like x 2