video diary?

Discussion in 'General Skiing Chat' started by Jac Sprat, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

We're getting ready to head off as fulltimers and planning how we're going to do everything. We thought we'd like to do a video diary as we travel around -maybe weekly or daily for our friends and kids to enjoy and see what we're up to.
    Does anyone do this who could give us some tips?
    do people do this as a blog or you tube clips? Can I use my own phone camera or need a proper camera ?
    Any thoughts on this,much appreciated.

2. gloworm

gloworm Funster

Hi Jac sounds like a fantastic idea but you have put your post in the skiing section , you may get more feedback if you post in motorhome chat section , sure someone will come along there with ideas and and advice for you.
    Sue

• Like Like x 1
  3. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I'm sure @Jim could move the post.. although maybe he would spend his whole life just moving posts.. Anyway....

So if you use YouTube you can monetise it but that needs a fairly big hit count.

The main thing is who do you want to watch your vids? If they are intended for friends and family then YouTube is great because it's free. If you want to keep them to yourself or restrict who can see them you could use Facebook. If you want a wider audience then a blog would probably be better as it allows people to find you more easily.

In terms of filming equipment the choice is yours. If you are happy with the useability and resulting quality of your phone then why bother investing in anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  4. StAgnes3

StAgnes3 Read Only Funster

Hi, hope you enjoy your travels. I use a thing called Instagram on my phone to post photos, you can decide who views your posts by accepting "followers" and you can choose who to follow. I have restricted my followers to close family, whereas my face book is for a wider circle of friends/family. Instagram is good as I can take a photo put a comment and upload it immediately, and the kids can do likewise (my 9month old grandson is very good at doing this!). Instagram is a free app that can be downloaded onto a smart phone.

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Sounds like a good idea although you will probably need to find free WiFi to upload your efforts, trying it on a mobile phone could be prohibitively expensive in Europe.

Getting good sound on the videos will be important I think and that will need a bit of thought in choice of equipment. I think you will also need a laptop to do the editing on, and a microphone to add a commentary afterwards.

Some DSLRs take very good video, although some don't. You can find reviews on line which are worth reading.

Try it with you phone first by all means, making good videos is mostly about the person behind the camera not what is in front of it, or even the equipment itself.