Vets on the way home from Spain

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jaws, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

The itinerary for the journey home is this:

leaving Benidorm early on the 17th of March
    Average travelling time back up to Calais is 3 days if we take it easy
    Chunnel booked for 9am on the 22nd
    We like to pop in to Adinkerke to visit some good friends for a day or two..

How long after a dog has been to the vets in Spain have we got to get back to the UK
    I seem to remember it is but 5 days
    With that in mind I think I will need to visit a vet somewhere close to either Calais or Adinkerke

Can any one make any suggestions ?

Our van is 30ft long so parking in small or congested towns is not really practical

2. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Yes you have more than 24 hours & up to 5 days to get back in.
    There is a vet at Hesdin , next to the Lidl's supermarket.
    Here ;
    https://www.google.es/maps/search/Lidl,+Hesdin/@50.3651196,1.999647,13.75z
    It is on theD928 from Abbeville to St omar. I have never used the vets but always keep it in mind as ideally placed, easy parking in road outside Lidls
    ( There is a height barrier on their car park ) ,normally quite quiet around it.
    I asked some Brits there last year & they told me 30€ & they speak English .

I 've used this route from Abbeville as it drops you straight down into Dunkirk port on the roundabout . So if you went this way you'd just do a right up road toget to your friends .

• Like Like x 2
  3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

It's 24 - 120 hours and they will check it down to the minute so if you're cutting it fine make sure the vet fills in the passport properly.

Not sure if it fits in with your timescale and she's bloody expensive but the vet in Honfleur opposite the aire is very accommodating if you just walk in and speaks English. She's become our vet of choice because one of my dogs has for some unknown reason decided he hates all vets apart from her. He even panics at our usual local one but he's quite happy in Honfleur. Only I could get a Springer with expensive tastes :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ven

Ven Funster

We use the one at Rue which is about 6km from Le Crotoy and right next to Lidl and Aldi. It has a decent size car park and cost €37. It's about 1 1/2 hours from Calais avoiding tolls.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

As you cross back to the UK on Tuesday 22nd March you'll need to get the dog sorted ideally on Friday/Saturday - this gives you an extra day or two 'buffer' after your booked crossing time in case there are probelms with getting back (eg bad weather, blockages, hold-ups en route) - you could do it Sunday but it will cost you a packet!!! Whilst you could do it on Thursday any delay in crossing could mean you end up having to do it again!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

That looks spot on mate.. Only adds 12 miles to the journey too !

• Like Like x 1
  7. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Vets on the way home from Spain

Come on John you may be a Vet but it's hardly flattering to Mo:xwink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Crap .. Well spotted Minxey

I think the best thing I can do is ring up the Chunnel and change the return date to the 23rd
    Hmmm.. Just did a search on that one.. reviews are not exactly inspiring to be honest mate

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Er, no you don't need to do that ... just get the dog done Friday or Saturday wherever you will be ... we find that if we get to a village and see a vet's offices and pop in they can often fit us in or make an appointment within an hour or 2 so we can get the dogs done en route. If however someone can give the name of vets along your route you can plan where you'll be and pre-book an appointment.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Do you think the vets will be open on Saturday ?
    If so then def not a problem

If we had it done on Friday it would be close to the edge to be sure of leaving within the 5 day period
    Fri
    Sat
    Sun
    Mon
    Tues

As has been said, only has to be a delay at Calais and would have to start again !!

11. Ven

Ven Funster

Well we've used them three times, it's newish, clean and we've been impressed with the service from the vets. Haven't seen reviews but will have to look out of interest now ;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Welll.. Sussed out the one Gus suggested.. It is Docteurs Colle Dupont and they are open Saturday all day

I will do a bit more research on the one at Rue as well Ven :)

13. Crusty jack

Crusty jack Funster

We have used the vets opposite the popular campsite in Luxembourg city; a good excuse to visit !! Toby Trux

14. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

John, if there is a Pet's World near were your staying they will post stamp the passport for you. Our local Pet's World will do ours 7/14 days, so we can travel up through France in slow time.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Shandyman

Shandyman Funster

John we have used the one in Rue twice this year with no problems and an English speaking vet it cost was 38 euro's both time's for a large dog.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

The closest one would be in Orihuela .. some distance from Beni
    I have now got all the details of both Rue and Hesdin options..
    Though I cannot find if the Rue one is open on Saturday or not

17. Ven

Ven Funster

John, they are open Saurdays. You need an appointment in the morning or just turn up after 13.30 and wait. We've always called before and made an appointment no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  18. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

• Like Like x 2
  19. Speve

Speve Funster

Sorry couldn't attach file will try again

20. Onemanandhisdog

Onemanandhisdog Funster

I wouldn't worry too much about reviews for a return to England checkup, you are only after a worming tablet and the correct bits in the passport, I would be more concerned if I was a diagnosis for something.

The only variation I have found is how willing the vet might be to stuff a tablet down a reluctant 47kg Ridgebacks throat! Once the vet was quite happy, the next it was up to me to get it down them (x2) and as I'd left the bag of cheese and ham that I had got ready in the van I opted for an injection instead as it was offered.

Ok for one, but a couple of hours later the other came up in pea size lumps up his legs and eventually his head, face and even eye lids! Luckily the vets that was open late out of the 12 or so in the La Rochelle area was the one who'd administered it! Back we went for another jab to counteract it. All turned out ok, no additional costs and a healthy happy dog.

I certainly wouldn't take the injection option again. Ironically, it wasn't the one who is a sod to get tablets down that had the reaction! Doh.

• Like Like x 1