Vets Fees

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kglblue, Aug 9, 2015.

1. kglblue

kglblue Funster

Touring France in April, our Whippet puppy had a bad cut that required stitches, we took him to the Vet in Rue who was recommended by Funsters. He had a general anaesthetic, an operation by the vet to clean and stitch the wound and 10 hours nursing care in the kennels. The total cost...75 Euro! which included a follow up consultation a week later, to check the wound and remove the stitches. We estimated that our UK vet would have charged at least £300. With this in mind our elderly collie needs Meta Cam for her Arthritis, we paid our Vet £37 for 100mg of the stuff, enough for a month. Online it's being sold for £9 per 100 mg, that's some mark up!
    We have been with this Vet for 25 years and wouldn't like to change and anyway, I'll bet the UK Vets all charge more or less the same. It needs regulation, but will never happen; Doctors, Vets and Solicitors etc have much better and stronger trades unions than any working man, but they're called Professional Associations and no Government seems to want to talk about price caps or regulation of the "market" I note the new anti trade union laws which makes it next to impossible to withdraw your labour, the only option for many working men and women, whose rights fought for over 150 years have been eroded over the last 10.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Vets fees are just astronomical imho .. but there's nothing we can do in the UK. Don't see the connection with trade unions tbh .. but as someone who has to put up with transport workers striking for anything and making massive pay demands whilst holding the capital to ransom I think some of these new laws are justified. .

3. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Think the prices got even worse once companies started selling pet insurance.
    Our neighbour got some meds for his dog and when he got them home, realised the wrong dosage had been issued, he took them back to the vets and they wanted to charge him a £12 restocking fee :eek:

4. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Imho, UK vets know that the regulations are very well enforced and they manage to make most treatments (that work) be prescription only. I rang for some tick and flea treatment and they said oh yes, we can dispense it without a consultation but the price of £56 just happened to be the online price plus a consultation fee! All designed to keep them living the high life.
    I would think that the French like with other issues would not accept being ripped off hence the sensible costs incurred by kglblue

• Like Like x 1
  5. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

It's the same here in Ireland, Dentists over here feel their profession is a licence to print money....No wonder so many head to Budapest and get work done, have a holiday at a fraction of the cost!

6. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

It's always worth telling the vet that you're not insured (if that's the case). Vets (and private doctors) know the fee scale that the various insurers work to for different treatments and, in my experience they always seem to bill the fee appropriate to the insurer as opposed to working out anything on an hourly rate...

Pretty much like any job - car/ MH repairs, home repairs etc - as soon as the repairer knows the job is insured, the costs seem to go up..

(I'll put my tin hat on now and wait for all the flak from members who are involved in auto/ house repairs to tell me that's simply not true:blusher: but I am only saying it how it looks to me:) which may or may not be true!)

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Spidey

Spidey Funster

My daughter is training to be a vet and has just finished her 3rd year of the 5 year course. A few things that not everyone knows about vets.

They don't get paid much at all, start at around £22k and hopefully reach about 30k in a number of years. The only way to make more money is to buy into a vet practice at on average £100k. She was talking to one of the partners about pay etc and he said that for every £130 bill the practice only makes £10! That is the profit the partners share out between them. On call vets get (at the practice she was at) £10 call out pay! This call out could last hours or mins but it is just £10. Vets do not live a rich life, look at their cars for example. Doctors, dentists and solicitors get paid so much more. Most go into the profession for the love of animals not to make money. But not a lot of people know this and are shocked and vet wages!

In France i don't know how they are cheaper, maybe she should move there when qualified. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Just paid 46 euros for a vet to give my dog a worm tablet, but she did spend thirty seconds listening to his heart too.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Slightly off thread, but I was at the (NHS) dentist on Friday - abscess.
    X-rayed, abscess drained and dressed (root canal needed but just about to go away for a while), total time about 40 minutes with dentist and dental nurse. Cost, £3.46

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the veterinary practice we use and have ever since working in rescue is half the cost of other local vets. not because they cut corners, but because the owner chose long ago to help more animals. if you keep costs down, those owners on low income are more likely to take pets to the vet when needed. his head nurse regularly shops round for the best priced medication and if you can buy it over the counter at a chemists then thats what they tell you

having said that, he is by no means poor and makes an excellent living from the practice. a couple of years ago, he sold his old ferrari to put towards the cost of upgrading and expanding the practice to a veterinary hospital. then he employed even more vets, some newly qualified or retraining from abroad

he may have cheap prices but works very long hours (somebody there 24hours) and will retire early in a few years. others just want to be rich now

• Like Like x 3
  11. Fragle

Fragle Funster

Bet you are not far from the port at that price:frowny:. Not like they want to rip you off at all

12. frogijock

frogijock Funster

If going to France call into a vets, they usually sell it over the counter no consultation necessary

13. bhs

bhs Read Only Funster

Our vet will issue a prescription for metacam, three uses and only charges £6 + vat, we can buy it online with this script £14 for 100 ml

14. simbadog

simbadog Funster

My dogs vet has a new Porsche 911! :rolleyes:

15. bellabee

bellabee Funster

I think you're right about prices getting higher since pet insurance became common. We've never insured any of our dogs, preferring to pay vet's fees as and when required. We think that, over the years, we're quids in. When our dog had to have his leg amputated, the vet charged us £1,300, which we thought very reasonable. Someone else we know had to have a similar operation on their dog. They were insured, and the bill for the treatment was over £4,000!

16. dippingatoe

dippingatoe Read Only Funster

About 20 years ago one of my dogs had to have a small operation.

The vet did it in the afternoon I collected the dog and the bill was sent later for about £14. Some 10 years later I had another dog which needed the same operation. The first question was is it insured (which it wasn't) The bill was just shy of £1000. Goodness only know what it would cost now. I shall make sure my new puppy in insured.

Incidentally when Phoebe was ill there were two night time call out charges - one to the farm I was staying at, and the other when she went to the surgery. The attendance charge each time was nearly £300, so if the vet is only getting £10 and the partners are only making £10 between them goodness only knows where the other £280 goes - all the incidentals were charged as extras!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I heard a side remark when I was at the vets the other day that this requirement would be done away with soon.. any ideas?

18. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

I don't get the worm tablet thing at all, our dogs get wormed regularly at home so don't understand the need ? The rabies jab I do understand but they get those details off the PP when they're checking the chip at Calais anyway. We've been to vets who have given the dogs a good check, temp, heart etc and others that have just popped the pill and stamped the book.

19. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Tablet ,sign book for rabies, dhppl,other vaccs, & stamp & encapsulate pages,..,.............3euros....,............for the tablet! :LOL:

20. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

Just been down at the vets tonight getting his rabies shot/check over/chip read etc for his passport ( Heading to Europe next month in the MH )..Anyway, that came to 70 euro and passport will be ready next week....another 40 odd euro..... Dont know how that compares to the UK price wise, I dont mind either way, have to have it if we want to take him with us....