Aug 27, 2020
Bolton
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
Dear Funsters,

Just wondering if anybody has set up a VE.Smart Network in their motorhome and what the advantages/disadvantages are of doing so?

TIA Paul

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have the basics in that we have a Shunt, Solar regulator and battery temperature monitor, they are all Smart bluetooth jobbies and they talk to each other, well the temperature monitor talks to the Solar but the Shunt doesn't have much to say for itself really, they all report on the Victron app and it works well.

Did I understand the question :unsure:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I have Victron Bluetooth MPPT solar controllers, Bluetooth smart shunt, Bluetooth mains charger and a Victron Inverter. I can call them all up with Victron App in the van using Bluetooth to see what is going on.

This does not help greatly in winter when I want to check things more remotely so I bought a Victron Cerbo GX and a cable to attach it to the smart shunt. You then set up an account with Victron and from your phone using Victron VRM website login to view your battery status for both Hab and Cab. Works for me!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Dear Funsters,

Just wondering if anybody has set up a VE.Smart Network in their motorhome and what the advantages/disadvantages are of doing so?

TIA Paul
Victron Smart Network gives advantages when used on systems that include MPPT controllers, IP chargers etc, and smart Shunts or smartsense devices because they can share temperature data and battery voltage and current and so work off common values. The MPPT's can use the temp data to avoid charging at low temps when you have Lithium batteries for example, or for temp compensated charging for LA batteries. I think it also syncs the charging of MPPT's and Orion XS, IP chargers etc so they all use the same stage at the same time. So if you have the kit it's worth seting it up.

We set ours up on the last van, but have a Cerbo on this one, so no need.

If you have a Cerbo (S) GX or Raspberry PI/Venus OS, then the option is there to use VE.Direct cables and use DVCC to achieve the same, the idea behind Smart Network was to achieve similar comms for smaller systems without the expense of the Cerbo which adds more stuff like tank monitoring and remote monitoring including VE.bus/can devices through VRM. As well as Node Red/Signal K for even more control and integration. (Signal K is used by many on boats it seems).

This is a better answer:

OP
OP
CutThroatJake

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2020
Bolton
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
We have the basics in that we have a Shunt, Solar regulator and battery temperature monitor, they are all Smart bluetooth jobbies and they talk to each other, well the temperature monitor talks to the Solar but the Shunt doesn't have much to say for itself really, they all report on the Victron app and it works well.

Did I understand the question :unsure:
You did 👍🏻 thanks Martin.😀

OP
OP
CutThroatJake

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2020
Bolton
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
Victron Smart Network gives advantages when used on systems that include MPPT controllers, IP chargers etc, and smart Shunts or smartsense devices because they can share temperature data and battery voltage and current and so work off common values. The MPPT's can use the temp data to avoid charging at low temps when you have Lithium batteries for example, or for temp compensated charging for LA batteries. I think it also syncs the charging of MPPT's and Orion XS, IP chargers etc so they all use the same stage at the same time. So if you have the kit it's worth seting it up.

We set ours up on the last van, but have a Cerbo on this one, so no need.

If you have a Cerbo (S) GX or Raspberry PI/Venus OS, then the option is there to use VE.Direct cables and use DVCC to achieve the same, the idea behind Smart Network was to achieve similar comms for smaller systems without the expense of the Cerbo which adds more stuff like tank monitoring and remote monitoring including VE.bus/can devices through VRM. As well as Node Red/Signal K for even more control and integration. (Signal K is used by many on boats it seems).

This is a better answer:
I have a smart shunt and 2 MPPT controllers so from what you have said it appears a no-brainier to set up VE.Smart Networking😀

Thanks for all your replies👍🏻

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
I have a smart shunt and 2 MPPT controllers so from what you have said it appears a no-brainier to set up VE.Smart Networking😀

Thanks for all your replies👍🏻
Yes especially if you have the shunt set up with a temperature sensor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back