Van conversion (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
looking for a van
Hi, has anyone converted a MWB Citroen dispatch? I need a van suitable to drive on the daily but big enough to convert in to a mini camper for weekend trips and long trips abroad. Struggling to decide if I need to go bigger or not! Any advice would be great :)

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
You have to make a list of priorities of what you need and budget first. There are small van conversions done to the dispatch.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Worth checking out these
Broken Link Removed
and check out YouTube

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Gosh they are a bit too small imo.
Maybe as a day van at a push. But weekend/long trips abroad ? I think you will wish, after spending all the time and money on converting it, you’d gone bigger. I’m 5’11” and Ralph’s just a bit smaller and I don’t think I’d even be able to sit up straight at those tables on the link.
Welcome the the forum btw
High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com

Last edited:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
What do you need in it?

How long do you intend staying in it?

If weekending with basic cooking facilities then fine.

If a week with washing / toilet cubicle then no way!!

What's your budget?

Cheers James

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
Haven't done it, but I would say that it's common to convert HiAces in NZ and Australia. Some googling shows discussion on Dispatch vs HiAce conversion. I've done 3 weeks in Tasmania by myself in a HiAce and it was exactly right for the job. But... it did have a pop top. You'd probably go crazy pretty quickly in the UK on a rainy weekend if you couldn't stand up. And it would be cosy for two.

Cooking: the HiAce had a two-ring spirit stove. I managed to find one last year for my own (gas-free) big Transit, but they're next to impossible to find now.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
When I was semi full time I was chatting to a guy who had converted a small van. Not sure what it was but it was a postie type red van.

He'd taken out the passenger seat and made a bed that stretched the entire length of the van, including the space where the seat used to be.

Looked ace for a weekend! I was very impressed he'd managed to fit in a sink and two burner hob and a porta pottie in a draw.

But I'd want to be able to stand up if on longer trips myself.

And I couldn't possibly take the misses and the dog in it. (Pros and cons, not saying which this would be. 🙊🙉🙈)

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Always fancied one as a day van or weekender if we didn't have a pvc. Would be ok for longer trips as long as you are going somewhere hot.

There are quite a few others out there

Pete

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
for me anything you cant stand up in is to small but if your young and supple not so much of a problem .i think it wouldbe better to find a higher van no difference with driving

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
scotzsue perhaps you can advise seeing you have a small one, albeit with a bit higher ceiling.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
i remember Terry having a small van at a meet one year never saw it again he didnt stop moaning about it
It was a VW caddy 😁like you say in your second post ok when young and supple (which I am not) We ended up pulling all the furniture out and using it as Paul's work van.Also converted a vauxhall vivaro,Merc Vito and of course VW s t 25 and t 5s 😉

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
As well as the coachbuilt we have, i have a fiat doblo conversion, registered as a motor caravan. I can just stand up in it, but I am a 5 footer and shrinking.
It has a bench seat at the side which opens out over the whole of the back of the van to make a reasonable sized double. Have only ever used it solo. Has a single burner hob/sink combined, compressor fridge and a thetford under the bed, i still have to make a door to get it out. I also have an, as yet, unused by me awning it came with the van and has seen some use can be put up by one, I tried it in the garden we have a practice rail on the side of the garage.

Pros: no need to take a jump box out and in, still got a fair bit of usable space, compact, reasonable storage Easy to drive.
Cons:for me the seat in the back is a bit high when the bed is out as a double thee is no standing space, am no longer agile enough to get from the front to the back without going outside.
could I use it for long trips away, yes if well organised, and using some sites with shower facilities
It is a high top, converted from a disability vehicle, despite that it is about an inch too high to go under many height barriers, know one near us is because roads has been resurfaced.
if i was buying one knowing i would be using it abrold or for longish trips i would buy a slightly larger vehicle,
There is a thriving doblo group on FB and a decent number use their vans for long trips, there used to be one man and his doblo on here but havent seen him for a while.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Would not want to go any smaller than our Symbol, 5.2 Mtrs but really good headroom.,,2 Mtrs.Also could not manage without cassette toilet and shower in there own ( SMALL) room..BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back