Valle D'aosta

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Techno, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Anyone been? My Italian friend went last year and is going again as they loved it so much
    The pictures are stunning
    Check out google images
    valle d'aosta
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  2. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Went about 35 years ago with a tent in the boot, afraid all I can remember all the Italians getting in their cars about 10:30pm & screaming up & down the road outside the site with horns blaring for about an hour, I think it was on one of their bank holidays, oh and the turd floating in the pissary in Aosta.:LOL:

3. bungy

bungy Funster

Its on the list as a pass through place this year....but having seen the piccies I think passing through wouldnt really do it justice!!!

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's the gateway to Maggiore.

But nothing I remember stands out like the roads we've just been on from Florence to Germany.

We used to do Chamonix to Maggiore but last time I needed intensive care after paying the Mont Blanc price.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Yes just a few days ago, but we came in from French Alpes on the D1090 and went straight into the Grand Paradiso National Park and back out again dashed down to the coast on the A5 so total missed it sorry:doh::crying: but the Paradiso is stunning as well so have a look while your there, there are a few pics it it on my French post,
    We Are Off Yahoooooo (y)

6. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Went into Paradiso on the SR23 BTW(y)

7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

We've been along it once when we were daft enough to pay the Mont Blanc Tunnel toll, and it's spectacular in its immense overpowering majesty. But enough of the toll fee, the valley's not bad either.

We prefer to go the Grenoble - Briancon - Montgenevre route now - stunning scenery and no long tedious tunnels to pay for.

8. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Sh!t Never thought of that but hell, I just gotta play Chamonix golf course and that won't be cheap either :xeek:

9. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

There is a new cable car ride there, just after you've passed through the Mont Blanc Tunnel

• Like Like x 1
  10. makems

makems Funster Life Member

About 25 years ago I was working in Geneva and the agent that found me my apartment told me I had to go to Courmayeur in Val DAosta and told me the way to do it was to drive to Chamonix, get the cable car up to the Aiguile de midi, then get another cable car over the glacier and another one down into Courmayeur.
    Once on Courmayeur we should eat at a restaurant called La Maison fe Filippo which is famous locally.
    It was a really hot summer day when we went and we parked our car in the car park by the cable car station but by the time we got to the Aiguille de Midi clouds had descended and the next cable car was closed so we had to descend back to the bottom. By this time there was a huge queue to go down which wasn't great because we were dressed in shorts and sandals and the Aiguille is nearly 12,000 feet so it was more than a bit nippy!
    When we got down we weren't to be beaten so we took the Mont Blamc tunnel to Courmayeur, found Filippos and had one of the best dining experiences of my life.
    I found a recent reveiw of Filippos, and it looks like it hasn't changed a bit: http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/la-maison-de-filippo-courmayeur
    Expensive, but a real experience. :xThumb:

• Like Like x 2